HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2002, 04:15 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
"The Need for Speed"

I posted this also in Park Flyers. Sorry for the duplicate posting.

Wattage F-22 Completed

Here is my new completed Jet before first flight. Flight report will follow.

Spec:

Hitec Flash5x TX
Hitec Micro 555 RX
3 Hitec 55 Micro Servos
Great Planes 20amp ESC
9 Cell 1000 MAH Nimhs

I installed optional landing gear because I fly from smooth Concrete. Nose gear is steerable for Scale taxing and take offs.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Last edited by fly4fun; Jul 19, 2002 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2002, 04:36 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
Great looking F22 Raptor!

I'll be interested to hear your flight report to see if you like yours as much as I like mine. I am also interested in how it handles with the gear installed.

Be sure to do a range check! My first several flights were scrubbed due to severe glitching, problem fixed now though!

Good Luck!

RPatrick
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old Jul 19, 2002, 05:25 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,405 Posts
Yes, keep us posted! I was going to purchase one of those a while ago but my wife walked in the room just before I could finish the transaction.
mtayl is offline Find More Posts by mtayl
Old Jul 19, 2002, 05:49 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. If the winds are calm I will test fly it this evening. Its monsoon season in Arizona. So we will see.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:19 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
HI All.

I flew my F-22 this morning. All I can say is WOW WOW WOW. I love it. It was my first time flying a Jet. I was amazed on how well it tracks and very stable in flight. I was very pleased on how fast it flew and covers alot of ground. First attemps at take off from the ground was a BUST. I had so much control throw on the streering that it was hard to keep from over Controlling on take off. I did finally got things Straitened and made a decent ground roll. It was taking forever to get up take off speed so I chop the throttle and gave up on taking off from the ground. I took it home and removed the landing gears and the extra servo. I could tell that it was much lighter. I need to get myself a scale one of these days. Well now its hand launch time. If you ever hand launched an out of trim airplane by yourself, it can be hairy for the first few secounds. I gave it full throttle and gave it a good toss in the air. It dipped about 3 feet and banked to the left. I hauled back on the elevator and she begin to climb. I thought humm its not that much out of trim. It just needed a little up elevator and a little right trim. It must had been a bad hand launced I thought. The secound hand launch had the same results. Left bank and about a 3 foot dip. I guess I need to work on my hand launching.
Remember "launch with the wings level" Two great flights and I was done for the day.

My control throws are set for test flying as recommended in the manual. I did used 60% dual rates for the ailerons. It does needs alot of control throw on the Elevator.

Im very please with this Jet. Do not use the Landing Gear if you can. The lighter this thing is, the better. Im a little Disappointed that my steerable nose gear and the ROG did not work out. I wanted to do some scale looking taxing and take offs. I did fine some grass I could land in. Landings was nice and gentle. Just keep up the speed on approach. It does not fly float like a trainer. Its very Maneuverable, so if you have some time on an Aileron sport planes then I would say go get your self a JET.
If you do, make sure you do a good break in of the motor per instructions. Im surprise the Wattage F-22 Jet is not more popular. Take care all.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:25 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Hey RPatrick!

I had major Glitching also. I fixed the problem before first flight. Did you route the Antenna in the Radio bay as per instructions? I did and had terriable range checks. I tape the antenna to the bottom of the wing. No more range check problems. Did you have any of these problems. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:55 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
When I was having my glitching problems, severe glitching occurred no matter where I put the antenna. I even took the entire receiver out of the plane and still had glitching. I tried different brands of Tx and receivers, everything and no luck. I finally as a last ditch effort changed channels from 60 to 32 and Yipeee, worked great. I now fly mine with a Hitec 555 with the antenna in the belly per the instructions and have no problems.

I have my F22 setup with a Hacker brushless B20 15L + 4:1, 8 x 6 prop, 9 cell 600 mah NiCd, no landing gear. WOW does it go! It will climb straight up for about 100 feet and can make 50 - 60 mph passes. Also, my flying weight is a light 19.2 oz which allows for very slow passes and landings in about 1 or 2 feet. If you put a brushless setup with the landing gear I have no doubt it would do ROG takeoffs.

Like you said, it is amazing that this plane is not more popular. It is an excellent kit with great instructions and good (stock) / amazing (brushless) performance.

take care,

RPatrick
Old Jul 22, 2002, 01:33 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks RPatric for the Reply:

How much did your Hacker brushless B20 15L + 4:1 motor + gear cost? Im happy with the stock setup for now. Its plenty fast for me. I use 9 Cell 1000mah Nimhs which gives me good power and duration. I was getting around 10 minute flights. No timer on hand. I expect to get better power and duration with a few more cycles on my Nimh packs. When I get plenty of flight time with it, I will do some motor upgrades. Its just a fun bird to fly.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:10 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
The Hacker setup of the motor and gearbox with a Hacker Master ESC was about $225 or so. (Boy I am glad it is not mounted in the nose!)

The drawback to using a geared Hacker is that you cannot pull maximum amps because the taileron surfaces limit your prop size to 8 inches. During my flights my average amp draw is around 7 amps (6 minute flights). On the plus side, you don't need to draw any more amps becuase the plane flies very aggressively with plenty of power.

I have contemplated trying direct drive on this plane, especially considering I'd like to outrun my brother's Pro-Jeti, but I like all that thrust for going up up up....

RPatrick
Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:14 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
Here is a picture!

Here's mine!
Old Jul 22, 2002, 09:28 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Guys, when I had mine, I had some trouble. Mainly due to a couple of nose in's which busted it up pretty good. You can fly it
direct with a 400 6 volt. When it did fly, it was very cool looking on low passes and banks. Mine was done up in camo. I then bashed the kit as flaperons got dinged pretty good. I flew it with one straight vertical stab. Watch that Wattage motor/gb combo as the inner gear will get loose on the shaft. Here was a pic of mine..

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:18 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Rpatrick
What is your brother using in his projeti? Is he also using the mega 15/3?

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jul 23, 2002, 09:51 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Thanks RPatrick for the Reply and a good looking Jet also. I think you gave me the Idea to paint the canopy black.

That is a little pricey for a motor+Gear+Esc combo like that. The Hacker must be the top of the line motor. I do not know much about them.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 09:03 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
704 Posts
Mal,

My brother's ProJeti is completely stock! Some type of speed 400 I believe. I got him an Astro 020 sensorless for his birthday, but it is going in one of those CAP 20Ls.

My guess is that the ProJeti will do 60 mph straight and level stock, does that sound about right? My F22 flies fast for a geared motor, but no chance of catching the direct drive ProJeti.

Fly4Fun

The Hackers are a little higher in $$ than other brands. I chose it because it is so light. The motor with gearbox is about the same weight as comparable brushless motors direct drive. This makes the Hackers an excellent choice for lighter speed 400's.

RPatrick
Old Jul 24, 2002, 10:35 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I am not too sure on the speed of the projeti stock. I was thinking more in the 40 MPH range.I have the mega on now so i cannot even rem,ember what speeed it went with just the 400 on whatever it was it seems slow now.
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22