It Is All Fun
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2003
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
Thanks jerry

I found a video that mike did awhile back. GloStik Video

There are more videos of them flying at night that some others have ( Dick , you watching?)
Sorry Ernest, I am just now catching up with your build thread. This is some amazing stuff you are giving us. Thanks.
Here is the vid of our Halloween Night Fly '05 with you and Mike flyn your stik's

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Dick
Dick Rankin is offline Find More Posts by Dick Rankin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2006, 07:48 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Rankin
Sorry Ernest, I am just now catching up with your build thread. This is some amazing stuff you are giving us. Thanks.
Here is the vid of our Halloween Night Fly '05 with you and Mike flyn your stik's

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Dick
Thanks Dick
This is my practice thread for the up coming 4Q thread. I hope I'm doing OK so far.

I need to take some quick vid of these things really flying hard, None of the vids I have so far really show there stuff. But hopefully the Pursuit video that comes at the end of this build will show off the capability's.
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Jun 10, 2006, 07:15 PM
Semper Fly--Pro-Bro #2095
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Nice build! I've never built even a lazer cut kit(but plane on it soon) or anything other than an arf but stuff like this makes me want to try it. Just wondering what you used to paint with. Nice thick color. I have an SX-3 that Im thinking about getting flying and I need to paint it up. Another thread recommended sharpies.

??
Merkaba is offline Find More Posts by Merkaba
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:14 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
Nice build! I've never built even a lazer cut kit(but plane on it soon) or anything other than an arf but stuff like this makes me want to try it. Just wondering what you used to paint with. Nice thick color. I have an SX-3 that Im thinking about getting flying and I need to paint it up. Another thread recommended sharpies.

??
Thanks

On my normal Foamies I use Testors spray Enamel. But on the Glo Stick Series, I have been using transparent monocoat, and spray adhesive.

On the Night Stik , I want the decals to be black , but let Light show through, so I have some window tint that i will use for the decals.

You can also print a design on Avery full sheet clear labels. Spray a coat of clear over the decal to protect it from water, then apply.

I well give a example later in the build.

I have gotten real far in the Build so far, and well be posting soon. Just need to process the pics.
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:20 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Finishing The wing.

Since the wing wiring is finished and the wing is what we are working on , we can go ahead and finish it up. That way, when we get to the fuselage lighting and finishing , the wing will be ready.

Make sure which side is up on your wing. The wing pin hole will be on the top of the leading edge tube. If you glues the bottom wing panels on first, then you will need to punch a hole in the bottom panel to run the wires through into the Fuselage, and don't put the wire notch in the center rib.

More construction Photos,
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Wing tips.

Wing tips can very greatly. Easiest thing to do is leave them flat , or cap it with a over sized rib. But then the tip lights don't show as well.

Punch a hole for the light to reflect around, this makes the light appear brighter from all directions, then a notch for the LED, and a slot for the wire.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:36 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Fuselage lighting

Back to the fuselage.

The basic fuselage can be sanded now to get rid of the access material on the bottom and the front motor mount. Just don't round the top edges of the fuselage, as the top cover well be the last to glue on and sand.

The fuselage lighting is pretty simple. I added 2 LED's to the tail on this one to make it extra bright.

Also installed some flashing white LED's in front for Pursuit mode. They are 3 to 10 volts so they don't need a resistor.

I added what I call a Breathing Bulb that changes colors automatically. But when I tested it on this one , it just didn't look right so I later removed it.

I still need to make drawing for the wiring digram for the fuselage, for this section of the post, and will edit it in later.

Photo's......................................
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Time to get some Tail.

Tail can be kind of tricky, so build carefully.

As mentioned before, A standard style vertical and hinged rudder system can be made with flat 3mm , then punch holes and mount the LED's like on the wing tips. Works OK but is not as impressive.

Photos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:29 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Horizontal stabilizer construction

Pretty basic tail construction.

The leading edge reinforcement is necessary, but can be made out of 1/64 plywood strips if you don't have carbon flat rod in hand.

It can also be applied to the back edge of the horizontal if you want to round off the leading edge. But you will have to be careful of limiting your elevator travel and the leading edge will not be as ding prof.

If you don't want to use tape hinges , then your on your own, they work fine for me
Old Jun 11, 2006, 04:22 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Push rods and Control horns

I make my own control horns for no apparent reason other than I know I will always have some and can make them to suit my needs.

Regular style push rods work fine, just keep them straight. Remember, this plane will go pretty fast and we don't want control surface flutter.

To remove any slop in my push rods on the control horns, I just wick a little medium CA in the linkage and plywood, accelerate it , then break it lose before it's to dry. It may stick again later but it will just pop free and still be slop free.

Do not glue in the servo tray at this point.

I will add in a dimensional drawing of the control horn template and edit it in later.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 04:59 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Mounting the Wing

To mount the wing like mine , you will need,

1. 8-32 x 1" nylon bolt. Try a harware store first, if the hobbie shop is to far away, I have found them there.

2. 8-32 blind nut.

3. 2 pieces of 3mm depron cut 2 x 1 1/8.

4. plywood strip to cap one edge of the mount.
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:27 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Well , That's were I'm at right now.

Can go ahead and hook up the tail light and turn every thing on.

No peaks on this one till the video

Next step well be the mounting the motor, Caping the Fuse, and then making and installing the landing Gear.

Need to do a little shop cleaning right now

Stay tuned!
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:30 AM
It Is All Fun
Arlington, Texas
Joined Mar 2003
423 Posts
Once again Ernest, this is truely amazing stuff. I have always wanted to just spend some time with you to see how you produce such amazing builds.
Dick Rankin is offline Find More Posts by Dick Rankin