SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2006, 03:14 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Here are all the foam parts needed to build with.

I like to hold the template parts down on the foam with small pieces of the blue tape.

It may help to cut the front notch in the ribs with a piece of sharpened 1/8 inch brass tubing.

The first pic with the wing panels are all 2mm foam

The next pic is all 3mm foam

The extra pieces on the bottom are all 2 ' wide and are for internal reinforcement, they can be seen it the main plan.

I have not punched holes in all the parts yet. The reason for the holes is for many things . Wiring , cooling, and light transfer.
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:36 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Fusealage construction.

Notice that I like to use cotton swabs to wipe up excess glue.

I'll let the Pictures do the talking
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 11, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2006, 10:24 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Looking good! I am looking forward to the rest of the build, might learn some things.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Jun 03, 2006, 01:04 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Looking good! I am looking forward to the rest of the build, might learn some things.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry

I'm really surprised that there are not kits on the market made out of foam with this construction technique. I have been building planes like this for as long as I can remember. My friends and I would cut out 4 or 5 planes at one time like this except they were made of balsa and were for Glo power.

Matter of fact, below the table I'm working on, is a stack of parts for some balsa planes of the same type but for 40 size glo engines. They were called Long Johns.

Seemed natural for me to make the same thing but out of depron instead.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 01:25 AM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
hey, where was my notice of this thread being started? Now I'm going to have to play catch-up.

Time to get started on this one.
MonkeySee is offline Find More Posts by MonkeySee
Old Jun 03, 2006, 02:00 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee
hey, where was my notice of this thread being started? Now I'm going to have to play catch-up.

Time to get started on this one.
Sorry Monkey, Been meaning to Email you about it, But I know you already have the templates so you came in at just the right time really

When we get to the LED part, that will take awhile, Plus I have to go to New Jersey next week for a couple days.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 02:16 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Back to building.

The bottom has been glued on. I like using Thick CA, apply it to the edge's of the fuse then stick the bottom on. Wipe up the excess with cotton swabs , then hit it with accelerator. Make sure everything is square.

This is were it is easier to make a flat bottom plane, as it's easy to just hold the plane down flat as the glue dries. With this one , it's a little harder with the rise in the middle of the fuse.

I'm going to replace the plywood with .010 Carbon sheet when your not looking Why? cause I have it
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 03, 2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 02:36 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
If your wondering why the plywood goes in first, Its because the landing gear is held on with rubber bands. There will be to carbon rods stuck through the foam layer just above the plywood. The plywood keeps the rod from being riped through the bottom, and the foam layer on top helps to guide the rod through during the insertion process.

I noticed that the tiled plans do not have the cross shaped plywood reinforcement on the drawing. But the full size sheet does.

We will get into this later on in the build.
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 13, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 08:41 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
I'm really surprised that there are not kits on the market made out of foam with this construction technique.
You 'otta have EAM make up some kits for sale as long as he is doing the "other" model. He has Steve Westerfeld's CNC foam cutter and I can make up the CAD files. Give him a call and see if he is interested in doing so. It might make some money for you, not that you and Mike will need it "when your ship comes in", so to speak. Or maybe Tim Hart would like to add the kit to his line up, He uses a CNC router to cut his Foamy Factory models. Steve also has a CNC router. I'm gonna have to wait until I get back from the UAV course in San Diego next week to get started, but perhaps you'll bring the GreenGlo to TCA tonight.
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Old Jun 03, 2006, 12:24 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjames
You 'otta have EAM make up some kits for sale as long as he is doing the "other" model. He has Steve Westerfeld's CNC foam cutter and I can make up the CAD files. Give him a call and see if he is interested in doing so. It might make some money for you, not that you and Mike will need it "when your ship comes in", so to speak. Or maybe Tim Hart would like to add the kit to his line up, He uses a CNC router to cut his Foamy Factory models. Steve also has a CNC router. I'm gonna have to wait until I get back from the UAV course in San Diego next week to get started, but perhaps you'll bring the GreenGlo to TCA tonight.
We thought about kitting them, that's why it took so long to do a build thread. Still might.
I probably will bring the GreenGlo tonight to TCA, but that's a pretty small gym for it to do much with. Can always take it outside and get some "sightings" over I20
Old Jun 03, 2006, 12:49 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Well , the fuselage is basically finished for now. The top will be the very last thing to glue on, after all the lighting and push rods are installed. The wing mounting block well be left out for know so it will be easier to setup the rest of the stuff.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 02:10 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
What and where is TCA?
Old Jun 03, 2006, 02:37 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee
What and where is TCA?
You didn't know?

This is were I test fly all my "secret" stuff Everybody should come on out. You never know what you might see there. Was the first place the original flying hydros were tested

Info Here http://www.michaelconnally.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Might be kinda far for you I think?
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 03, 2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 04:17 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
Too far I'd say. There has to be something between D & FW that we all can fly in.

I wanna play with the big boys.
Old Jun 05, 2006, 05:48 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Wing Construction

OK. Time to build a wing

Because this wing is fully symmetrical, you will have to build a wing jig. The jig can be made out of anything straight, and will allow for the ribs to touch front ,center ,and back. Two straight sticks or some aluminum angle works well. Just tape down and make sure the two sticks are perfectly parallel.

At this stage the jig is not that critical to have, but it helps. However you well definitely need it when you put the top sheet on.

At this point , top and bottom doesn't matter. Just note the position of the wing pin slot in the center rib. The slot will be the top of the wing. But if you forget, we can make a new hole for the pin when finished.

More talking pictures.
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 09, 2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Grammer