Old Oct 09, 2008, 10:13 PM
flyit till theres nothin left
Airfield Electric Shop Memphis International Airport
Joined Sep 2006
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Got pics?
Sorry but no pix mine looks like the rest of them.
I don't have any scheme on it just plain ole white.

I used some christmas tree leds I bought after christmas last year on sale. I got a string of 56 white leds for 8 bucks. I really don't know what they are rated for volts and current but they where split in two circuits of 28 each on the string with some kinda device in line with each set which I'm assuming was a diode or something. 120v/28 leds works out to be about 4 volts apeice so I sized the resistor to put 25 ma through the led. It worked out great. next time when I do a string of christmas lights I'm goin to measure I and E before I tear them apart. Daaaa
These led's are plenty bright. I dont think you need any supper bright for this project. I keep it low and close.
This plane flys so good I can fly it in a 50 x 50 foot area. I love it.
sorry it took so long to respond been busy

ZZ
ZZ Prop is offline Find More Posts by ZZ Prop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
Hi Every one

This airplane is a full fuse airframe with a full airfoil , giving it excellent wind handling characteristics and is very strong. Because of its light wing loading, Its very capable of extreme aerobatics.

Also, if you chose to install the lighting system, it is even easier to see at night then it is during the day, promise.

Lets get going!
WOW! amazing!

I cut things worse than I solder... and I am bad at soldering!

The extent of my build knowledge so far is converting a space scooter to outrunner BL.

So I either 1. turn the slow stick into night flier or 2. Learn to build.

So far I've book marked this page... I think the desire to have one of these may push me over the edge and take on more than I am capable of.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2008, 02:22 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjames
You 'otta have EAM make up some kits for sale as long as he is doing the "other" model. He has Steve Westerfeld's CNC foam cutter and I can make up the CAD files. Give him a call and see if he is interested in doing so. It might make some money for you, not that you and Mike will need it "when your ship comes in", so to speak. Or maybe Tim Hart would like to add the kit to his line up, He uses a CNC router to cut his Foamy Factory models. Steve also has a CNC router. I'm gonna have to wait until I get back from the UAV course in San Diego next week to get started, but perhaps you'll bring the GreenGlo to TCA tonight.

Is anyone cutting these, and selling as a Kit?
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:52 PM
flyit till theres nothin left
Airfield Electric Shop Memphis International Airport
Joined Sep 2006
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval
WOW! amazing!

I cut things worse than I solder... and I am bad at soldering!

The extent of my build knowledge so far is converting a space scooter to outrunner BL.

So I either 1. turn the slow stick into night flier or 2. Learn to build.

So far I've book marked this page... I think the desire to have one of these may push me over the edge and take on more than I am capable of.
Come on man anybody can build from scratch you just gotta wanna.
Just take your time and read every word in the build log. Study it before you start . I never buy kits. RC Groups is one of the best things ever to happen to RC seriously. I've been RC'n for 26 years and I have more fun now flying than ever. I like the small stuff, foam and Balsa, cuz you can fly it up close and low and it takes a lot less space than a nitro burner. Can you say "in the back yard"
You get all kinds of free plans and free instructions. All you buy is the stuff the people tell you to get and it all works out. all you gotta do is ask questions and you'll get answeres.
Don't worry about the LED's just build the plane. It's a lot of fun.
I get as much enjoyment outta building from scratch as I do flying but hey thats just me. Some people can't stand it.
OK I'm rambling so Good Luck. Try it you'll like it.

ZZ
ZZ Prop is offline Find More Posts by ZZ Prop
Old Nov 09, 2008, 03:59 AM
Brisbane Australia, near whites hill park
Joined Sep 2008
165 Posts
hi. can you use carbon fibre panels for this plane?
ElectricRichie is offline Find More Posts by ElectricRichie
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:49 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2 Posts
I just built a Glostik - just without leds.
Maybe this would be an easier way to build the wings?
ahandbreitluft is offline Find More Posts by ahandbreitluft
Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
New glostick

Thanks for the very nice build thread. I just got done putting together my first glostick.

Edit: added another image.
sniderea is offline Find More Posts by sniderea
Last edited by sniderea; Apr 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:07 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
It looks great, snider. I like the two-color LED scheme. That's going to look sweet up in the air. Which motor/battery combo are you using and what's your AUW?
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:34 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderea
Thanks for the very nice build thread. I just got done putting together my first glostick.
Great Job!

I really like your vertical tail design, looks great
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
It looks great, snider. I like the two-color LED scheme. That's going to look sweet up in the air. Which motor/battery combo are you using and what's your AUW?
Thanks!
Battery will be a 2 or 3 cell a123 1100mah which is a bit on the heavy side with a gbx double from gobrushless.com.
I'm not sure what the AUW is. Not as light as I'd like with the 3 cell a123 that's for sure
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:42 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
Great Job!

I really like your vertical tail design, looks great
I just copied the ailerons you drew in the plans

Edit: oh I did an airfoil closer to a clark-y as well.
Last edited by sniderea; Apr 22, 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 01:41 AM
RC pilot Wannabe
MA
Joined Feb 2008
1 Posts
I did not see how the Wheel pants were lit up...........
are the resistors more readily available in small quantities now?
dan711 is offline Find More Posts by dan711
Old May 03, 2009, 08:25 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Maiden

Got to maiden the glostick a few days ago. Flew really well!
It wasn't too dark on the maiden as I have never done any night flying before figured it was better to maiden while I could still see it ok
No problems flying but I have a temporary motor mount that is an old gws gearbox with a short stick into a stick motor mount.
I didn't have any firewall type mounts handy so just threw something together for the maiden. Bounced the landing just a touch and it shook the motor mount off the front
Time to get a real mount for it and make a second one.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:57 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,158 Posts
First of all, thanks for a great build log and well thought out construction UAVpilot. Here's my 39" version ready to maiden. Using a 1600 3 cell battery for motor and 2 cell 800 mah battery for lights. AUW is 745 grams. My planes never turn out light (as in weight )

Will let you all know how the maiden goes, hopefully in the next couple of days.

Oh yeah, I'm using these lights. Very easy to setup. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...rip_LED_system

glo stick night flyer (1 min 5 sec)
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I saw someone at the local 'field' with one of these, built up faithfully and very clean and I was very impressed. There were half a dozen 600+ nitro helis there and everyone stopped to check it out. I rarely venture into anything that requires building anymore(even though I built dozens of large scale planes over the years), but I spent 2 hours looking for this one after he told me the plans were on rcg. Even though it's not exactly going to fill 2 yard trash bags with scrap and sawdust, It's the first time in a long time I felt a twinge to actually build up something.

I'm kinda in the same boat with a few people here, I have the room to build it, but not really lay out everything to cut it up. I may give it a go this winter, but I think a precut kit would get quite a few takers. With 3d airplanes, some foamies, heli's and edfs, I thought I had all my electric bases covered. But a small night flier that flys like a 'real' plane is now way up on my list
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120