Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Discussion
Glostik Design and Build Thread

Hi Every one

This is going to be my first build thread so take it easy on me

This airplane is a full fuse airframe with a full airfoil , giving it excellent wind handling characteristics and is very strong. Because of its light wing loading, Its very capable of extreme aerobatics.

Also, if you chose to install the lighting system, it is even easier to see at night then it is during the day, promise.

This build thread will be a little different in that not only will I give the set of plans for the first GloStik, I am going to show you how easy it is to design your own so you can change it up how ever you want.

Then I will go through some extensive lighting setups that can be done. Even a set up that well include how to build a light set that will let you dial in any color of the spectrum you can imagine.

Here's a quick vid, GloStik Video

Lets get going!
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jul 20, 2006 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added Video
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2006, 01:50 PM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
261 Posts
Thanks Ernest! I'm in the mood to build one, since there's not going to be much indoor flying during the summer around here and it would be a fun airplane to fly on calm/low wind days.
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Old May 30, 2006, 02:18 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
This is for a 30 inch span model with a AUW of around 9 Oz's.
You can increase this size if you want real easy by just taking all my measurements and x 1.5. This will give you a 45 span model. Mike Connally did this and it worked fine. Just replace the 2mm foam with 3mm and the 3mm with 6mm.

Motor can be any 1 once type CD ROM style spinning a 7/8/9 inch prop for the 30" span

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
First things first.....Parts

You will need,

1. Ghostline poster board..... Ghostline You can buy this at any Walmart or Pharmacy that carries school supplies. If you don't get this stuff , its going to be allot harder to design, as you well need a square.

2. 2MM Depron Foam. A few small sheets should be fine

3. 3MM Depron Foamwww.depronusa.com/ www.deprontexas.com/ . one small sheet should work

4. 2 pieces of 1/8 carbon tubing

125" .070" 1/8" 3.00 mm 7.6 gr carbon-tubes

5. 1 piece of .070 or .060 carbon rod. The .070 doesn't always fit into the tube so you well have to get the both to make sure.

.060" 1/16" 1.5 mm 3.0 gr carbon-rods
.070" 5/64" 1.8 mm 3.5 gr

Also need one piece of flat carbon for the tail reinforcement.
.020" x .120" -- mm. 2.2 gr

6. 1 piece of 1/64 x 6 x 12 three ply plywood superiorbalsa.com

7. pick up some Scotch 2 inch wide 3M blue painters tape # 2080 and some regular clear 3/4 inch tape.

9. Foam safe CA and Kicker. I like thick and medium. Don't even try it with out kicker. I don't recommend Gorilla glue since it shows up real bad with the lights and you can't really paint this one.
Last edited by UAVPilot; Jun 13, 2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 02:22 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjames
Thanks Ernest! I'm in the mood to build one, since there's not going to be much indoor flying during the summer around here and it would be a fun airplane to fly on calm/low wind days.
Cool join in the fun They do handle wind very well and are extremly tough.
The landing gear is held on with rubber bands so it will take some hard landings
Old May 30, 2006, 02:29 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Lighting!

There are lots of places to get LED's. Most of my plane take about 16.

I use 30 awg wire for wiring. I like to use green and red to make things easier.

I will make a wire chart later in the build so any one can just put in there LED color and I can help with the resistor and wire setup.

Here are some places I get my stuff.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

http://www.fatsquid.com/store/

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/default.htm
Old May 30, 2006, 02:39 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Here is a file with the existing plans for the ugly stick style plane.
Build from it, use it as reference, or follow the design process. Plus the airfoil and landing gear are the same.
Old May 30, 2006, 03:13 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Here is a pic of the Ghostline package, really great stuff to design with. Only problem that I have had with it is that the grids are not consistent in there measurement. OK if your whole design is from one package, sucks if your trying to do an overlay and the lines don't line up

Also A pic of the different style airframes templates I have done.

I have built about 6 different ones so far . All very in wingspan , wingtip style . Tail style, lighting, etc.

I don't put these in cad or PDF as I usually have some one else do that for me. If some one wants to follow along and repost there's, mine, or anybody else's design in PDF feel free. ( Dick, You watching?)

Somewere there is some night video, I will see if I can find it sometime.
Last edited by UAVPilot; May 30, 2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 04:02 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Forgot to mention that you will also need to pick up some brass tubing for punching holes for the LEDs ,wiring, and cooling.

Sizes are,

3/8 or 13/32. The 13/32 is what is used in the plan.

3/32 for the LED,s

1/8 if your going to do the ailerons the way I do, it'd kinda hard though. More on that later.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:15 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Here is a fuse design that is the same as the green plane I call The Green Glo.

Normally on A stick type plane, the bottom of the Fuse is flat, but this one drops down a bit below the wing area. Gives a little more room in the radio area. Probably necessary if your going to try and put the battery inside the fuse.

So far I have only held the battery outside the fuse with Velcro. Works real well and is easy to put were you want for different battery types.

The Red line is the Datum line that everything is measured from.

The front is 4 inches long , I have made one that was 1/4 inch longer in the nose area , but never narrower than two inch square in the front. Might be cool to narrow the front some more to 1 and 3/4 inch's.

This one is also extended in length by one inch from the plans, from the wing back.

The flat area in the back is for the horizontal and has a two inch cord.
Old May 30, 2006, 07:22 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Here is a tail design that I'm going to use on this model.

The second pic shows a possible choice one might make, to give it that older look.

The verticals on these models are full flying, meaning the whole thing moves. This lets you sandwich a LED between the two 2mm halves. You don't have to do it this way. You can make it out of flat 3mm depron, and just put a hinge line, but it won't light up the same way.

If you go full flying vertical, this is why you need a carbon rod that will fit inside the 1/8 carbon tube. The axle uses it also.
Old May 30, 2006, 07:25 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Couple of pics of the existing tail's
Old May 31, 2006, 09:53 AM
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
Joined Feb 2006
261 Posts
GloStick PDF files

OK, here are the files in .pdf format

Be sure to check that your printer is not selected to "scale" or "fit to page" as this will affect the output. Also, check the size before you pay a lot of money to print out the full size plans at Kinko's
gsjames is offline Find More Posts by gsjames
Last edited by gsjames; Oct 24, 2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:12 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Thanks James

Got some stuff to sort out, then it's back to work on this one.

For those interested, The name of the plane this go round will be called The Night Stik. It's going to look like a police plane with lights that can be changed in the air to "pursuit mode"

Then I want to do a video skit if possible
Old May 31, 2006, 11:31 AM
E-Flight Addict
Weatherford, Tx.
Joined Oct 2003
1,329 Posts
Cool Ernest ! Gary is real good at PDF's and CAD, it really helps to have him around sometimes ! LOL !

You guys coming to TCA to fly Saturday night ? Hope ya get to come out !

Rick
ronin8451 is offline Find More Posts by ronin8451
Old May 31, 2006, 12:08 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Hey Rick
I have a Edge 540 Flatout that I pick up awhile back. I need to slap it together so I can do some indoor deconstruction , so I will try and show up.

Plus I still owe you for that blinkey