HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:45 PM
Syracuse, New York
Joined Jan 2002
47 Posts
HOBBY LOBBY's SUPER MISS 2

That new Super Miss 2 looks pretty good. I kinda like the reguler Miss 2 with the di-hedral wings better. They bother look just like the "ELINOR" that Hobby Lobby used to sell. The Elinor was a great flyer especially for beginners. The Super Miss 2 looks like it might have a little more get up and go power. If anyone is going to fly one soon, I would like to know how she does?
SCOTT LINDSAY is offline Find More Posts by SCOTT LINDSAY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2002, 02:33 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I'll have to get one of those Super Miss planes in the future. If it's anything like the Miss2, It'll be a great flyer. I'm just wondering if the brushless setup is necessary. I think it will do just fine on a geared S400 like the Miss2. I'd hate to sink an additional $160 in a motor/ESC.
sgil2001 is online now Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old Jul 19, 2002, 02:37 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I agree...the old Miss 2 flew just fine, even with floats on the geared 400. I like slow and scale speeds. It is alot more fun and a challange to your skills than rocket rides.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jul 20, 2002, 02:00 AM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
sgil2001
I was going to suggest this one to the wife when she asks for ideas for our 30th wedding anniversary (or is it 31 or 32?) Like you another $160 has me wondering if it's worth it. I never have had this system before. Is it that much better? I guess if I ask for this system along with the plane, I had better remember how many years it has been.

ben
ben gearschott is offline Find More Posts by ben gearschott
Old Jul 20, 2002, 04:20 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
It is a good system and the price is right for a brushless. I just think that, for me, I like the slow and easy takeoffs. The brushless will give you plenty of power, of which you don't have to use. Ask for it all. Tell her it won't fly without it. Then later you can use it in another plane.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jul 20, 2002, 05:55 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Miss 2 Super

I agree, I have a Miss 2 Speed 400 and usually fly it at 1/2 power, it's plenty fast for an oldtimer. The aileron wing is a great idea. I wonder if the good people at Hobby Lobby will have a wing kit available for all the Miss 2 owners? Sure would be nice, would take one in a minute!

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jul 21, 2002, 12:42 AM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I do think I'll ask for it all. I like the way you think Dorme. I'll tell her it is because of our altitude I need the brushless system.
I would try it with a 480 first and of course with the necessary prop size changes. A wing kit would be a great idea. Eric & Larry did you catch that?

ben
Old Jul 22, 2002, 02:35 PM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
Has anyone gotten this bird built and flown? I have heard Larry say it's a great flyer. Anyone else? The wife wants me to promise not to buy anything new unless it has been discussed on the Zone. I will admit that's a very good idea, but not too critical here. The Super Miss really does look good and the original seemed to be a rock solid performer. Thanks, just waiting for the OK to get it.

ben
Old Jul 22, 2002, 02:57 PM
formerly HL Larry
just south of Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
301 Posts
Hey Ben,

It flew very well this weekend. It's not a hotliner by any means, but it flew with true authority. We should have a video clip or 2 up by the end of the week.

I love Scorpio balsa covered planes. I have almost the entire family: Miss2, Super Miss, Java 150, Miss Chief and the Miss Moravia. I wonder if I could just by stock in the company?

Larry Eddy is offline Find More Posts by Larry Eddy
Last edited by Larry Eddy; Jul 23, 2002 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 03:22 PM
Mesa, AZ USA
Joined Dec 1999
58 Posts
What kind of flight times are you seeing with the HL recommended battery/motor?
AZenigma is offline Find More Posts by AZenigma
Old Jul 22, 2002, 04:47 PM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
Larry,
That does look very sharp! Is the Super Miss 2 really that big or are you real small? lol ha ha. Just like AZenigma, waiting to see reports of flight times, etc. Although I enjoy the Direct and will be building several other 'flying wings", I much rather fly off the wing than the prop. Scorpio products do build/fly nice. Can I trade you any thing for the Miss Chief?
ben
Old Jul 22, 2002, 05:10 PM
formerly HL Larry
just south of Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZenigma
What kind of flight times are you seeing with the HL recommended battery/motor?
First flight while trimming it out and such, about 8+ minutes on 1/2 throttle. I figure I'll get more after I cycle the pack a little.

A brushless motor isn't a neccessity to fly this baby, but it is nice to have that power. It was overpowered, but not GROSSLY OVERPOWERED. I prefer to refer to it as: "Flies with Authority". It is quite 'floaty' just like the Miss2. I'm sure it will fly nicely on a geared SPEED 400. I'm going to try CP1700x6 and my 7 cell 4/5 AUP 1700 NIMH pack.
Larry Eddy is offline Find More Posts by Larry Eddy
Old Jul 22, 2002, 05:46 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Super Miss 2

Ben it is a large plane, 56" wingspan and very easy to see at a distance. It floats around just great and can get going with the standard geared speed 400 and a 9x6 APC prop. I get 10 to 12 min an an 8 cell 600 nicad and over 20 min on a 8 cell 1600 NiMh. Should be great with ailerons! Hint, Wing Kit, Wing Kit HL, bet you'd sell quite a few Larry! A very nice flying plane that always gets admired at the field, even by the glow guys, it just looks nice!

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jul 23, 2002, 01:23 AM
Colorado
Joined Feb 2002
221 Posts
Pete,
Does the Miss 2's motor mount to a vertical firewall or horizontally like a gasser? HL still has the FK5115 combo. setup on sale. This is the horizontally mounted long can 400 with a 3:1 gear box,10x7 APC prop and spinner. I hope I could use the long can 400 and a MP JET box, but in what ratio? I hear HL doesn't have many of the Super Miss 2's left, so I will call them ASAP in the morning. The bride will have to get me something else for the anniversary. That's if I survive after bringing this one into the house. I can't wait until the end of August. Thanks again ,Pete.

ben
Old Jul 23, 2002, 08:31 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
I would be interested in an aileron wing for my current miss2.....hint..hint.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic