Tell us what you all think caused this
Starguard is offline Find More Posts by Starguard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2006, 03:41 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,151 Posts
Firstly, I reckon that price is garbage, unless the build was paid for. Second, the engine sounds crook, thirdly, I reckon the ailerons were reversed... R/C flying 101
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old May 29, 2006, 11:36 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,374 Posts
If the ailerons were crossed I'm sure he would have sussed that immediatley. It was a very slow roll. To me it looks like he may have had throttle control but nothing else. Speed down the strip gave it necessary lift to take off but then it rolled because it was not trimmed out. As it rolls it looses lift and hits the deck. Although you would not have thought it was a range problem because he sensibly taxied down to the end of strip and used rudder to turn around. Not a range check in itself but if ailerons didnt work you would have thought rudder would not work. Very interested to hear what the problem was. We all learn from these things. I really feel for the guy because obviously a Zero would be as symbolic to the Japanese as a Spitfire is to us Brits.

Please tell me the guy did a range check at least 5 times. BUT would you hold the model on half throttle while he was doing it.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old May 29, 2006, 12:53 PM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
You can see a steady crosswind into the runway.

I would guess its along the lines of: flying through a crosswind just above stall speed = mushy aileron response.

or he gives rudder to counter the crosswind and gets some roll coupling.

-b
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old May 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Few power, low speed, cross wind, left roll => tip stall!
I would have never tried to take off with that sound and power!
CANTZ506 is offline Find More Posts by CANTZ506
Old May 29, 2006, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
I clearly see left aileron command as she rolls over. I agree...reversed ailerons. Look again....the starboard aileron is DOWN....

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old May 30, 2006, 04:30 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCNC
I clearly see left aileron command as she rolls over. I agree...reversed ailerons. Look again....the starboard aileron is DOWN....

Dave
Yep definatley left aileron is applied...
Stupid mistake for such an expensive project
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old May 30, 2006, 09:47 AM
DLD
David Layne
Tracy, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
665 Posts
After reading the previous posts, I returned and watched the video very closely numerous times and I believe the ailerons are indeed reversed. It's hard to believe that someone would spend the time and money for a project like that and not have everything correct, for safety's sake, if nothing else. A radio controlled plane that size could do a lot of damage.

DLD
DLD is offline Find More Posts by DLD
Old May 30, 2006, 10:16 AM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
Yeah I took another look at the video, and if you watch the right wing, the aileron is definitely down. This is classic reversed aileron behavior, too - roll in wrong direction -> apply more aileron to correct -> wrong roll becomes terminal.

I once managed to fly with elevator reversed. It was my first trip back to the field after a few years off. I managed to get it into the air and then quickly realised the problem. I spent about 10 minutes flying around trying to get a feel for backwards elevator and wound up landing safely, but it was one of the most nerve wracking flights i've ever logged on a model.

-b
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old May 30, 2006, 10:31 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,937 Posts
It really is amazing, the pilot made how many taxi tests was it 5 or more. Yet how could such a simple thing as ailerons reversed be missed. Fortunatley the only damage was to the model.
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old May 30, 2006, 10:37 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
I wonder if this is one of those 3 man airplane projects? One guy builds it, one guy flies it and a third guy owns it. Little communicationb etween the three. When we had some "Giant Scale Warbird" races in Galveston a few years ago, there were a lot of threesies. I don't question the investiment, again assuming a professional build job. Fiberglass kit around 3K, couple K for the engine and a Futaba 14Z whatever radio, digital servos, etc. As Everett Dirkson (Senator from Illinois in the '60's) said once, "A million here, a million there and pretty soon you're talking about real money".

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jun 01, 2006, 04:34 AM
Boat & Plane Addict
Joined Jun 2006
6 Posts
Unbelievable,
All I can say is that the next time my wife comments about how much I'm spending I'm going to show her this clip.
Bob Tewart is offline Find More Posts by Bob Tewart
Old Jun 01, 2006, 05:54 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
871 Posts
What a shame, even if the ailerons were reversed.
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:02 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit
I really feel for the guy because obviously a Zero would be as symbolic to the Japanese as a Spitfire is to us Brits.
on that note, i saw a spitfire with a decent wingspan of about 80-100" ditch in at a local airshow yesterday when one of its gear wouldnt come down.
pilot decides belly landing on grass on FLIGHT LINE SIDE OF RUNWAY (no idea why he didnt go to the other side) so he brought it in as slow as he could and nearly hit some of those collapsable chairs, but didnt.
broken cowl, exhaust, CF prop.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:09 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Bannzaaaiii!!!!!
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor