HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Need CompuFoil Help

Hi all,

Need a tip/workaround for CompuFoil - How can I define a sheeted foam core having a foam leading edge?, i.e. top & bottom sheeting terminated about 1/2" from the leading edge?
green66 is offline Find More Posts by green66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2002, 10:55 AM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Is this what you're talking about?
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:23 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Yessirreee, absolutely! How'd 'ya do it?
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:54 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Hello green,

Actually I cheated I loaded an airfoil into C/Foil, added 3/32" sheeting and 1/2" leading edge, saved it out as .dxf, loaded it into TurboCAD, snapped & trimmed the lines at the front. If you don't have CAD, you could print your airfoil with normal sheeting and leading edge and then draw in your changes by hand.

Just curious, why the foam L.E......perhaps a combat plane to snag your opponent's streamer string?

HTH
Milton Dickey
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Jul 19, 2002, 06:04 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2001
416 Posts
Quote:
Actually I cheated . . . . you could print your airfoil . . . . then draw in your changes by hand.
Wooops! Sorry DB, can't accept that In this case, I want to define the foam coordinates in CompuFoil because the foam cutting service uses a CNC cutter (although they've probably got a workaround for things like this). Since you helped me before with a CompuFoil trick involving two sheeting thicknesses, I concluded, upon receiving this 2nd tip, that you must be the CompuFoil Ninja but, alas, you're mortal

Actually, your CAD suggestion is the key ==> With the modified profile in CAD, establish the origin, put some points along the modified contour, obtain the coordinates of those points, then enter them into the coordinate table in CompuFoil
Quote:
Just curious, why the foam L.E.
3 reasons: 1) impact-resistance, repair-avoidance, 2) conventional L.E. contributes little strength, either bending or torsional (can just use a sub-L.E. for strength), and 3) I hate contouring leading edges! ==> profile is more accurate straight off the foam cutter anyway.