SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Discussion
96 inch span House of Balsa plans, build thread, or other help needed.

I recently purchased an older Sailpalne that does not seem to be offered by House of Balsa any longer. Kit seems complete however there are no plans or instructions.

Is there a detailed build thread here I have not been able to find? If not was this plane ever a published build in one of the model magazines?

I have done a (what I consider to be ) thorough search for info here and came up with nada. Has anyone building or flying exdperience with this plane?

I sure would like to build this jewel ( not in a hurry with no instructions) so any help would be appreciated

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2006, 06:17 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,588 Posts
Have you tried calling HOB direct? They may still have the plans available. Their number is 760-246-6462

Cheers!
Rick
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old May 28, 2006, 08:25 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Not yet because it is the weekend but it has crossed my mind. I did go to their website to see that the plane was not listed in their current listings.

I count this as a good thing that they are still in buisness and do count as a source.

What bothers me somewhat is that there seems to be so little info on the web about this plane. Seems I may have bought a lemon. I hope not as I have had past experience with H.O.B. kits and they are first rate. I consider them to be high-end as to quality and the fact they are still around supports this in my mind.

Robert
Old May 28, 2006, 08:48 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,588 Posts
I'm not personally familiar with your kit, but I doubt it's a lemon. Manufacturers just have to change and evolve their lineup to meet the demands of of the day. A shame it's that way though, there sure have been lots of great kits that have come and gone..... or maybe I'm just a nostalgic at heart!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old May 28, 2006, 09:59 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
I don't think I would classify the kit as a lemon. It does date back to the late 70's or very early 80's IIRC. I had friends with the smaller 2 meter versions back in the mid 80's, and they were a great sport flying sailplane, and quite rugged. HOB kits are generally pretty good quality. Build it and enjoy!!

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old May 29, 2006, 03:39 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Ok. I think Lemon was a really bad choice to use a reference to this kit. I have not seen lemons come from House of Balsa.
Still one wonders why there is no mention of this plane on the group. To me this is not really good news. On the other hand there are many sailplanes that were once kitted and are no more. Probably with little or no mention of them here.

The real story is that I saw this plane and I liked the picture on the box. Because it was a House Balsa kit I just knew it was something nice. As I have previously mentionded, HOB doesn't have junk. However after I had placed a higher bid on it something caught my eye. The description said NO plan or directions. How could I have missed this very important news? No matter. I had indeed missed that somehow. My fault. I will have to live with my mistake.

Since I don't have it in my hands yet I wasa trying here to do the best I can for info from others. I don't know HOBs kit designation as yet. After I have that maybe HOB could dig up what I need.

In the meantime if anyone else can enlighten me on any part of this model I would appreciate it. I bet its a good flyer.. Sure looks good in the pic.

Robert
Old May 29, 2006, 04:42 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
I think the kit is fairly simple to build. if you can come up with plans. HOB simply called this thing the 2-S, which stood for 2 channel, standard class.

They had a series of these kits, from 50 inch up to the 96" 2-S.

Hopefully a call tomorrow will hook you up

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2006, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I have composed a nice email to the folks at House of Balsa and explained my delimma. Hopefully they have the info I need in a back room somewhere. Heck they may still have a complete kit on hand for "historical" purposes?

So as far as anyone knows this plane was never published in one of the modeler magazines eh?
I must agree I have not heard of it being published myself. Probably an in house design.

Robert
Old May 30, 2006, 09:01 PM
Erk
All thumbs, no scents
Vallejo CA
Joined Nov 2005
597 Posts
Worse comes to worst, I _think_ I have a set of plans for a 2x6 somewhere. I recall it was a very simple build, and on the beefy side.

I never did get the gumption up to fly it with the 2 stick 2 channel radio I had at the time, and gave it away in a move, and I -may- be able to find the plans if that's indeed what the trunk in the attic contains. If not, I won't be able to help.

Fingers X'd.

Erik
Erk is offline Find More Posts by Erk
Old May 30, 2006, 09:08 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
I checked on RCM's plan list, didn't see it there. I think the 2 x 6 plans would be real close, just a longer center wing panel I think is the main difference. Maybe a little bigger set of tail feathers. With a little careful footwork (and some basic drafting work) you could get there from here

SS
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2006, 09:40 PM
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
155 Posts
I have the plans for the HOB 2x6, but they are in bad shape. It built it over 10 years ago when I was still in high school. I was impatient and sloppy, which resulted in glue marks and cuts all over the plans.

I didn't like at all the way the tail section was designed. When I rebuilt my beat-up 2x6 last winter, I did a few modifications:

1. The hardwood joiner between the elevators would often break, so I replaced it with a brass rod (made from a coat hanger).

2. I moved the horizontal tail forward so that it doesn't "interlock" with the vertical tail (ala Bubbledancer). I still have plenty of pitch authority.

3. I cut a slot for the tow hook and made up an adjustable heavy duty tow hook. You may want to double up the plywood around the slot if you do this.

4. Reinforcement of the fuse and wings with CF and FG, which adds weight and is probably overkill. I did this because I wanted my 2x6 to be usable as a trainer and take severe punishment.

I'll gladly sent you the plans in a blueprint tube if you can cover the shipping. Or I can fan-fold the plans and stuff them into a big brown enveloppe. I can also take some high-res photos of the plans and send them to you digitally. Let me know.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, the plans for the 2x6 call for a single piece wing which is secured to the fuse via rubberbands. I can't imagine a 96" wing being single piece. So the plans for the 2x6 might not help you much in making a wing with detachable panels.
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
Last edited by ecormier; May 30, 2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Guys, Thanks for the offers to help! I have yet to hear from H.O.B. But I also checked withthe seller to ask him the H.O.B. model number for this kit before it shipped out. He didn't help me that way (don't know why) but he did email me back to tell me that someone else who asked about this kit said that he had the plans for it(yippee! they do exist) He said he would try to contact him and see what happens. This could go nowhere fast or it could be my answer.

Till then I was thinking of the 2x6 plans offers. I wouldn't care too much the condition as long as it is readable. cuts, stain and glue bumps aside I can still work with it. As I don't have the kit in hand I have time on my side. Besides this is not a race.

Back to the plan offers. I have a feeling the the 2x4 and 2x6 were designed by someone else ( I could be wrong of course) I have the Gentle Lady plans which are closer to this planes span and I do have experience building, but always with plans. The 2x6 plans could be way off as for the design style. Even so I may be able to do this without plans (what a challenge!) like putting a jnigsaw puzzle together. I just hope the TE or LE has slots for the ribs for spacing. That in itself would be a big help.

ecormier, I believe the wing would be a 3 piece myself as the center section is flat. I built my GL with the optional 3 piece wing so I have the details and the experience here. If I have no plans I could also go with a 2 peice wing as I was looking at an old electric sailplane design in RCM that had a 96 inch wing with Dihedral (in the middle) that shows a 2 piece option with some nice pics too. The idea is almost identicle to the GL with the exception that there was a center "rib" made from 1/4 ply faced on either side with 1/32" ply that held the 3/16" joiner rod and also the wing hold down dowel in front. The 2 "reciever" panels are built just like the panels on the GL Breaks down real simple and looks strong.
The wing is my secondary concern. my bigger concern would be the tail feathers. getting the shape right and whatever constitutes the ribs. The fuse should be simple.

also since I may be going into this thing blind I really like the "Bubbledancer" (that is one beauty of a plane) modification you mentioned. I even thought about doing somethhing different on my GL T-tail crossed my mind as well as V-tail. Also I did think of moving the stab or verticle fin for that same non -interference idea as the Bubbledancer though I honestly wasn't thinking of it specifically.

I am going to wait for a bit and see what develops. In the meantime I am not yet turning down any offers.

Robert
Old May 31, 2006, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Update! House of Balsa replied my email to them with a simple " i will check and let you know"

Not much but something at least

Last night I started thinking about the wing again. Obviously it won't be fully sheeted, not on this type of sailplane/ Sloper maybe but not a soarer like this one. What then? capstrips on the ribs? Would those capstrips be both top and bottom? how far out will the centersheeting go? will the L.E. sheeting extend further on top like my GL? I guess you might say i recant what I said in my last post about being less concerned about the wing make up. there are so many different ways to do this. My GL has no capstrips. There are others that do. I once built a Dumas plane with capstrips both on top and bottom ( I think it was both top and bottom )

Anyway I got to thinking even though I might not get the roght plans for this plane, I could still build something out of it that will fly! The wing may depend on the airfoil at hand but I can easily position the stab either on top of the fuse or on bottom. I could go Vtail or Ttail. Heck as long as I get the proportions somewhere close I could still have a nice plane of somekind! It may not be competition material except at a funfly but it could still be something!
Just think, I could build a larger Thermic lookalike. Well, possibly the tail feathers could look like it wanted to be a Thermic 50 in outline or how about a Bird of Time! Who knows what this thing could wind up growing into?

Stay tuned for the next edition of
"What Will This Box of Balsa Turn Out to Be?"

Robert
Old Jun 03, 2006, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
For anyone who may have an interest in this plane, here is a nice scan of the label on the box.

Isn't she a beauty? I wonder if anyone else out there has some nice pics of one. I have not been able to locate any myself.
Old Jun 03, 2006, 07:54 PM
Moncton, NB
Joined Aug 2005
155 Posts
Hmm, looking at that close-up, the 2S looks nothing like the 2x6.
ecormier is offline Find More Posts by ecormier
Last edited by ecormier; Jun 03, 2006 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added pic