HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2006, 07:59 AM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Discussion
Tamiya F201 vs. Pan cars and others.

Okay, with alot of talk I've seen about Pan Cars, I have some questions I just have to ask.I want an F1 type car, and I have got a few replies, and a few links. Many of the so-called F1 cars I have seen, seem to be nothing more then ran cars. Others seem alot more rigid and far more stronger than pan cars, but lack much of a suspension. Everything else I have seen is either toyish, or out right cheap. I hear pan cars are better for speed, but can't take hits, or suck for driving on the street. Has anyone out there, owned a Tamiya F201 chassis? If so tell me about it. It seems to me, that it has the most to offer. F1 type car, good speed, parts are available, some hop ups, good looking suspension... regardless of it being a pan car, or none pan car, all I hear is negatives... is there ANY F1's, that an average person can afford that has it all? The Tamiya F1's seem to have it, but I want to know how it performs, and compares to other out there. So anyone? I want an F1... I want it to have good speed, decent run times, and I want to be able to run it in the road.. Info guys! I want info! If Tamiya cars are poor, what would be good if not great? Thanks! -James
Wing Zero is offline Find More Posts by Wing Zero
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2006, 11:16 AM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
well its basically a 4wd car with independent suspension at all corners unlike a pan car. in a way its like a touring car and i heard that it handles like one too...
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Old May 28, 2006, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
I'm not fimilar with touring cars... how well do they handle with street running? What else have you heard about the F201 chassis? Any other information would be great... any idea about speed and durability? Thanks.
Old May 29, 2006, 05:53 AM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Tamiya makes nice F1's. The reason f1's are more fragile, is because of the exposed wheels. If you stick with a mild power setup, you will be fine.

They lack suspension because they don't need it on a smooth prepped track. In fact, they handle much better than touring cars on the track. On the street, it's the complete opposite.

I used to race against tamiya f1's and they are on par with any direct drive car. But if you are looking for real speed, forget about running on the street. What type of power system you thinking about running?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
Old May 29, 2006, 04:10 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Okay, but unlike pan cars (for the most part) and other F1 class cars, the F201 chassis actually has independant suspension... if you look at the chassis, you'll see it far beyond a pan car. For what ever reason, it is also 4wd, rather than two. From what I have heard, beyond just here, it actually handles very well on the street with out much penalty to speed. I understand the whole fragile thing because of open wheels, but the same can be said for my stampede and stadium trucks... or buggies. I like versatility, and from what I have seen, F1s, seem to be lacking in any real field. Tamiya, seems to be the only real exception and they too, seem to have given up on that type of car. With the exception of perhaps bearings, I will probly go with a stock setup. Tamiya has always been good at power train setups. Bearings will be an option to upgrade too, if it comes with bushings. Stock is fine to me, as it seems that when you change stuff, you only start to ask for more problems. Faster motor, less run times. Greater speed, great damage on hits. More power, more strippped gears. Only thing I care about, is being able to handle the street decently.
Old May 29, 2006, 10:26 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
ahh...didn't know it was 4wd. sounds awesome. you gotta link?
Old May 29, 2006, 10:32 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
oh man..i just looked it up. That thing in incredible. I want one! I've only seen the traditional direct drive tamiya f1's. This one should handle just fine on the street with the stock setup.
Old May 30, 2006, 12:07 AM
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,040 Posts
FYI. Today only, Ultimate (www.ultimatehobbies.com) has the F201 for $109.
2000-redrider is offline Find More Posts by 2000-redrider