HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:02 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,893 Posts
Aradhana,
Maybe it would be helpful to ask the outrunner pilots to list their motor during registration. I think that list would be good information for other prospective flyers.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Can you say "Hacker 20-20L"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
Maybe it would be helpful to ask the outrunner pilots to list their motor during registration. I think that list would be good information for other prospective flyers.
Lenny,
Sure. I think we wanted to do that anyway. I'll start asking around.

Here's all the people I know to ask.

Aradhana Singh Khalsa - Hacker 20-20L
Bruce Twining - Hacker 20-20L
Buzz Averill - Hacker 20-20L
Fred McClung - Hacker 20-20L
John Ihlein - Hacker 20-20L
Dale Nutter - Hacker 20-20L
Philip Brister - Hacker 20-20L
Iain Glithero - Hacker 20-20L
Dick Moore - Hacker 20-20L
Jon Padilla - Hacker 20-20L
Richard Shagam - Hacker 20-20L
Dan Tandberg -
Rex Burton - Hacker 20-20L

If you are not on the list but are flying a compliant Outrunner (within 28 mm diameter by 16 mm length stator size [rotating part of the motor with the magnets]), please speak up either with a post or a PM to me and we'll get the info out to those who would like to know.

-ASK
ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
Last edited by ASK; Aug 31, 2006 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Filling in the motor type
Old Aug 29, 2006, 02:02 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,893 Posts
Wow, looks like a 1 motor class at this point. Actually, I personally like the idea of specifying a particular motor anyway.

Jon Padilla will also be flying a Hacker 20-20L setup that I assembled for him.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:25 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,120 Posts
boring I know but my Sky Sergio has a Hacker 20-20L too

hoping for glorious September weather !!!!!!!!!!

Philip
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:16 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
An Outrunner Story

Last weekend the ASA had an F5J contest, and we decided to play with Outrunners and Limited Class.

Now I knew I was in trouble, having not flown F5J much all year, but winning isn't everything, especially when you have Bruce Twining and the rest of the electric soaring tough guys beating you.

To add insult to my competitive abilities, something kept shutting off my controller after a few seconds, and the brake on the controller wasn't working right. The first flight I couldn't get it launched for three minutes until I managed to reset the controller, and had to settle for a six minute flight and the landing points. The second flight was worse, with the glider coming down with the prop windmilling, and only a four minute flight. At least I nailed the landing again.

Not being able to do anything about the brake, I rearranged the prop rubber band and hoped to do better on the third flight. After 8 seconds the motor quit, the props folded in, and I started the LightHawk E circling, for I'd lucked out with the motor shutting off in the middle of a nice thermal, right overhead.

Poor Bruce. He and Buzz had won their rounds, and Bruce was in my heat while Buzz was not. I flew the entire round out, landed on the last second with 50 out of 60 on the landing. No matter what Bruce did, he couldn't catch me unless I messed up the landing, which I didn't. So Buzz won Outrunner that day instead of tying for first with Bruce, while I got to play spoiler.

If Mom Nature has any good humor, she'll give us great weather like Philip suggests, and we'll fly a lot of rounds so no one can luck out and play spoiler.

And sure, if you know you are in lift, shut it down. But we learned this year that the percentages favor a nice 20-35 second climb out.

===============
After the event and a nice lunch chatting, Bruce brought me over to his house, where we used his computer-based programming software for the Phoenix controller. Afterwards and on the bench, the controller behaved properly, running as requested at length and braking on shutdown. Such nice treatment for the guy who skewed the last round. Thanks Bruce.

Come join us and play Electric Soaring in New Mexico's (usually) glorious fall weather.

Aradhana Singh Khalsa
Espanola, NM
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:46 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
Thanks ASK- Just one more question if you dont mind. With the Hacker 20-20L motor in the altitude of 6200 ft most are using 13X8 props, if you were in Poway(near sea level) flying what prop would you use? Not a good prop selection in town so I must mail order and need to be close. Also in the future might you be selling coppies of your DLG fuse for the outrunner. I have an old Xtermanator Pro wing that would make a nice plane.

Thanks-BOB
IBbob31 is offline Find More Posts by IBbob31
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:15 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBbob31
With the Hacker 20-20L motor in the altitude of 6200 ft most are using 13X8 props, if you were in Poway(near sea level) flying what prop would you use? ... in the future might you be selling coppies of your DLG fuse for the outrunner. I have an old Xtermanator Pro wing that would make a nice plane.
Probably 11 by 8, but you should use a wattmeter and get a good read on what the current draw is. Maybe you can use a 12 by 7.5.

The LightHawk DLG fuse is an ultra-light and durable platform for a hand launch glider, but is not the right diameter or shape for an Outrunner.

For this, I'd suggest one of Denny's WindDancer fuses. That's what I'm using for my Outrunner. There's an Art Hobby fuse that some of the ABQ guys have tried and like, but I can't get arthobby.com up right now.

Aradhana Singh Khalsa
RC Builder
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:57 AM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
Welcome aboard Shannon I knew that 51% chance of going would improve once you got that new plane and started thinking about it. Nice to show sp400 is not completely dead, yet!

Now, I just have to figure out a good way to keep Fred from fiddling with his TX during my classes. Oh yea...what as that old phrase from the 'Cold War' era?
Mutual Assurrance
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Last edited by flyingdogtwo; Sep 02, 2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 03:29 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
623 Posts
I will be using a YAAAWN!! Hacker 20-20L, same as everyone else. WRT props, I am using a 12X9 Aeronaut at 1100' ASL in Phoenix, and something nastier for ABQ!!
Iain <><
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Sep 05, 2006, 08:55 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Ah YES, we're here. Time to close up registration and make up our flight matrix.

If you are on the fence and want to fall this way, register right away or contact me.

Five in Speed 400, twelve in Outrunner, ten in Limited, and five in Unlimited.

Let's go fly electric sailplanes.
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:16 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Just an observation and in no way detracting from your efforts but the meagre entry looks more like that of a Club or Area/State competition than one with such a prestigious name as "World Challenge".

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:49 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Hey Brian.
Hop the pond and come visit us. David Hobby did. You'll be most welcome, and can stay with my family.
--------------
I know why you said that, you want to see International competition. Right? You didn't say that just to be negative, or just to make a point because it was possible. You wouldn't do that.

We want to see increased interest in F5J too, and are working towards that possibility. Lots of people have ideas, different ideas on what form International F5J might take. Let's be positive and support everyone's efforts, all around the globe. It will all sort out to the good.

And continue keeping us posted on your own F5J contests. We all need to work on it, and your efforts are much appreciated.

Aradhana Singh Khalsa
Registrar
2006 Electric Soaring World Challenge
September 8-10, 2006
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:47 PM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain
I will be using a YAAAWN!! Hacker 20-20L, same as everyone else. Iain <><
I would have to agree with that. Kinda like restrictor plates for Indy cars or 1/6 mile track for drags. Oh wait, got a better: How bout we start putting weight/height/muscle mass restictions on F3J towers?...et.al.
See everyone in a couple days!
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old Sep 07, 2006, 12:33 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa
Just an observation and in no way detracting from your efforts but the meagre entry looks more like that of a Club or Area/State competition than one with such a prestigious name as "World Challenge".
If the guys hosting this event changed the name (that they did not initially coin, BTW) then there would be nothing for you to complain about on the interweb. And that would be sad.

So now they can have a fun event and some folks can complain about the name. You know, the name of a contest is about the most innocuous thing somebody could complain about. That, and a guy's spelling or improper use of commas. Much better than bashing Sal or different kinds of planes than another person. So bash away!

It is also good for publicity. Every post increases the thread's exposure to the top of the list. It might be too late to add any contestants for 06, but perhaps this thread/conversation will stick in the mind of some pilots for the 07 F5J World Challenge. An "A" for effort on that end!

Sorry, thought we could use some levity here...

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 07, 2006, 05:09 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Ryan Rules!!! Hahaha sorry just doing my share to keep the thread at the top.

Oh and GOOooooo flyingdog! Kick their behinds!
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey