HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2006, 11:07 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Contest
Albuquerque F5J World Challenge Sept 8-10, 2006

The Albuquerque Soaring Association is pleased to announce that on-line registration is now open for the Albuquerque F5J World Challenge Sept 8-10, 2006 to be held near Moriarty, New Mexico.

The AMA-sanctioned competition will feature four classes of electric sailplane competition--Speed 400, Limited (7-cell), Unlimited, and the new Outrunner class, and will be flown according to the popular 'Albuquerque Rules.' Featured in this format is the pilot's choice of motor run time, after which he must attempt to maximize his gliding flight time and perform a spot landing--all within a fixed working time. This is an exciting format, which will be held at a world-class RC soaring venue in Beautiful Central New Mexico!!

We are also pleased to introduce the new F5J Outrunner Class that is cost competitive with Speed 400 Class sailplane power systems. Brushless outrunner motors provide much more reliable and more efficient power. With the same 18 to 24 oz sailplane and battery, a 30 second Outrunner motor run is usually more than equivalent with a 60 second Speed 400 motor run.

For more information, and to sign up today (reserve that frequency now!!), please go to: http://www.soarabq.org/f5j_wc_2006/f5j_main.shtml

Richard Shagam
President,
Albuquerque Soaring Assoc. (AMA Charter #1965)
rnshagam is offline Find More Posts by rnshagam
Last edited by rnshagam; May 27, 2006 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
1,938 Posts
hello Richard

my entry is in the mail

also be there for the June event

Philip
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old May 28, 2006, 06:17 PM
rockville maryland
Joined Aug 2000
309 Posts
just curious...what do yuo think a normal working window wii be? ken
ken troxell is offline Find More Posts by ken troxell
Old May 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Ken
Working times are generally 10 minutes each. However, there is the possibility of 15 minutes for some of the later rounds--especially if there is a need for a flyoff round. That is at the CD's discretion. I think that is stated in the rules posted on our website.

Hope you can make it out!!!

Richard
Old May 28, 2006, 11:34 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Hi,

Just one question? How can this be an AMA sanctioned contest when no AMA events are to be flown? I'm all for you to have a sucessful contest, don't get me wrong.

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Old May 29, 2006, 08:15 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
155 Posts
Ric
My understanding is that an AMA-sanctioned event has less to do with the type of contest/event as it is that the participants are AMA members who agree to follow the AMA safety rules. In exchange, the AMA provided liability insurance coverage to the event organizers and a listing in the AMA calendar, as well as other advantages. Our CD, who has obtained the sanction for several years, now, has the principal responsibility of ensuring that the contest is run safely and by our event rules.

Thanks for your interest--hope you can make it out to the Land of Enchantment!!!

Richard
Old May 29, 2006, 11:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Indeed. Our electric fun fly is an AMA sanctioned event, but has no formal AMA contests scheduled.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 08, 2006, 08:06 PM
Dennis Renner
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Joined May 2001
66 Posts
So, a few changes for the F5J this year:
- We have moved the contest to September to combat October fog.
- We have added the new Outrunner Class.
- We have a new sound system that replaces the air horn and bull horn.

We also have a few questions to answer this year:
- Will 2006 be the last year we include Speed 400 Class?
- Will anyone use a LiPo pack in Unlimited Class this year?
- Will Phil Gilbert be tying flies this year?

The F5J should be a great event this September! I sure hope Speed 400 Class stays around for a few more years. I am really interesed to see how many Speed 400 vs. Outrunner pilots fly this year. See you in September!

Dennis
theween is offline Find More Posts by theween
Old Jun 09, 2006, 04:56 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnshagam
The AMA-sanctioned competition ...
You're right, Ric. It's an AMA-sanctioned event, but without AMA events, it's not an AMA competition!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 09, 2006, 07:50 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,822 Posts
A word about the new Outrunner Class:
It's FUN!

We've been flying this class for awhile now, and have a group of pilots who've done their best to create the "perfect" Outrunner class plane. I went the farthest afield, custom building a composite based on Drela-like design elements.

Others have built planes from this list at Niagra Frontier Models or have a WindDancer from Polecat Aeroplane Works. You gotta love the low cost, excellent workmanship, and good performance attributes of these planes. Design Emphasis: Lightweight is worth something, but wing span is worth more.

I've emphasized lightweight on my plane but have just 72" span, and count on the benefits of getting to higher altitude quicker. I took this lesson from Lenny Keer of Colorado, who has won Speed 400 the last two years with an old Mirage hand launch conversion to electric. Most everyone else has gone 2 to 2.2 meters, and they aren't that much heavier, plus they didn't have to build the components but took advantage of the ARFs. One fellow built his WindDancer from a Kit, modifying and taking lightweight to the ragged edge.

Anyway, the climb performance of this low cost solution (Drela-inspired ship, Hacker A20-20L, PolyQuest 1500 mAh 2S-Lipo, 17.5 oz. AUW) is classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to...
ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
Last edited by ASK; Jun 09, 2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:23 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
722 Posts
As Aradhana pointed out, we're having a lot of fun with the outrunner class. Here's a typical outrunner installation, in a poly Pulsar. I'll post a picture of the entire plane later.

John Ihlein
Albuquerque, NM
jihlein is online now Find More Posts by jihlein
Last edited by jihlein; Jun 09, 2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 04:24 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined May 2003
27 Posts
Rich
Count me in for the contest. I will fly a Sky Sergio or an Alegro Lite in Outrunner and an AVA in 7 cell.
Fred McClung is offline Find More Posts by Fred McClung
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:15 PM
Dennis Renner
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Joined May 2001
66 Posts
Hmmm,

So far, only "flyingdogtwo" and I have registered for Speed 400 Class. Outrunner Class has five pilots registered. Could this really be the last year for interest in Speed 400 Class?

While there is still plenty of time to register, it might be a good idea to go ahead and commit to preserve your radio channel/frequency!

Dennis
theween is offline Find More Posts by theween
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:12 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined May 2003
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theween
Hmmm,

So far, only "flyingdogtwo" and I have registered for Speed 400 Class. Outrunner Class has five pilots registered. Could this really be the last year for interest in Speed 400 Class?

While there is still plenty of time to register, it might be a good idea to go ahead and commit to preserve your radio channel/frequency!

Dennis
I can not assure you that in the future that we will have a S400 class. It realy depends on how many entrants we get this year. We want to include all who are interested in flying with us. Here in Albuquerque we have found that all who have switched planes from S400 to outrunner have no desire to go back. The cost is caped (no more burned out S400 motors or buying several just to get one that is the "contest motor") and the climb rates are about 70% greater. The prop of choice is slightly larger in dia than the optimum for S400 and otherwise everything is mostly the same as in the S400 plane (except more fun with the outrunner).
By all means reserve your frequency as soon as possible. You will fly with the outrunner class and there may be more S400 entrants as the contest draws near. You will see for yourself the advantage of using the outrunner motors. If you have any questions regarding converting your plane to an outrunner feel free to ask me. I will be glad to give you all of the test results that we have collected in instrumented flight testing and static test data on motors/batteries over the last 9 months.
Fred
Fred McClung is offline Find More Posts by Fred McClung
Old Jun 22, 2006, 02:53 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Hi Fred,

Sorry I don't mean to take the thread off topic but could I please ask that you guys document the Outrunner class a little bit for us? I've been trying to convince Steve (flyingdog) that we need to give the outrunner class a go as I also believe we will be saving ourself oodles of hassles moving away from brushed but there is still alot of questions on what to use and what not to use. I would very much appreciate it if after the competition the most common motor used/most common battery used/prop blah blah could be shared with us so we can look into this a little better? Now I know with the F5J stuff not everybody is all too keen to share secrets but I do believe this whole thing doesn't involve alot of secrets and the playing field is leveld to such a state that more emphises is placed on pilot skill and not the race to the top.

Regards
Rudolf
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey