HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
Studying Engineer
MarcRacer18's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
I got it a miners. Its the general stuff, doesn't tell you anything about the dry times.
MarcRacer18 is offline Find More Posts by MarcRacer18
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
USA'd ex Brit
toesup's Avatar
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Page 500!....

.. and my 5001st post...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2010, 07:26 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
der kapitan's Avatar
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup View Post
Page 500!....
.. and my 5001st post...
Oh dear me---.

The old boy has slipped a cog---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2010, 06:03 PM
Registered User
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
ADAGIO (slow dancin' man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
hobby shop "half and half"? 30min stuff? you may have to get out the heat gun and scraper...
G'day Marc;

I'm afraid Aero is more than probably right.

In Oz we have a number of epoxy manufacturers and sellers, of which my preferred supplier is Boatcraft Pacific. A bit far for you, no doubt. Second best, in my opinion, is Gougeon Bros "WEST" brand, available in the Hew Hess Hof Hay. WEST used to stand for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique, but the politically correct darlings have seen it changed to Wood Epoxy Sealing Technique. That is, in fact, a far more accurate description.

Please don't ever accept the shop assistant's "Ah, yeah, mate/buddy/pal, this is what they use". Don't know about the "they", but it invariably means that the assistant hasn't a clue.

You may now consider yourself ever so gently chastised, but remember the old adage - if all else fails, refer to the book of instructions. DON"T alter the prescribed mix.

If the warming treatment doesn't work, and it seems to be on the way, the heat gun and scraper treatment is going to be the only way out. Reasonable question is, do you have so much invested in your Springer that you really can't start again, and this time, heed Gougeon Bros or someone like them. You'll find that their prices aren't too bad either. Boatcraft Pacific are heaps cheaper than the hobby shop or the hardware stores because they sell to wooden boatbuilders on a big scale - and to we hobbyists in small quantities too, including a 7.5% discount to our Club Members. (No all, it is not a paid ad, they do deserve support for supporting us).
ADAGIO is offline Find More Posts by ADAGIO
Last edited by ADAGIO; Mar 01, 2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:27 PM
beginning night flyer
RCpilotwantabe's Avatar
United States, WA, Anacortes
Joined Dec 2007
482 Posts
i need to get my springer up and running
RCpilotwantabe is offline Find More Posts by RCpilotwantabe
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2010, 08:22 PM
Studying Engineer
MarcRacer18's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAGIO View Post
G'day Marc;

I'm afraid Aero is more than probably right.

In Oz we have a number of epoxy manufacturers and sellers, of which my preferred supplier is Boatcraft Pacific. A bit far for you, no doubt. Second best, in my opinion, is Gougeon Bros "WEST" brand, available in the Hew Hess Hof Hay. WEST used to stand for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique, but the politically correct darlings have seen it changed to Wood Epoxy Sealing Technique. That is, in fact, a far more accurate description.

Please don't ever accept the shop assistant's "Ah, yeah, mate/buddy/pal, this is what they use". Don't know about the "they", but it invariably means that the assistant hasn't a clue.

You may now consider yourself ever so gently chastised, but remember the old adage - if all else fails, refer to the book of instructions. DON"T alter the prescribed mix.

If the warming treatment doesn't work, and it seems to be on the way, the heat gun and scraper treatment is going to be the only way out. Reasonable question is, do you have so much invested in your Springer that you really can't start again, and this time, heed Gougeon Bros or someone like them. You'll find that their prices aren't too bad either. Boatcraft Pacific are heaps cheaper than the hobby shop or the hardware stores because they sell to wooden boatbuilders on a big scale - and to we hobbyists in small quantities too, including a 7.5% discount to our Club Members. (No all, it is not a paid ad, they do deserve support for supporting us).
Hmm, The evercoat epoxy resin seemed to work great on my first layup. I laid some glass and did a second coat just resin 4 hours later. Both resin mixes were pretty good and by the nex morning it was cured. Then i moved to one of the sides, applied cloth and resin. The resin mixture was on the high side with hardener but did cure and i was able to do a 2nd coat that night. The 2nd coat had a little less hardener than resin but didn't seem to be off by much. I did leave the boat in my garage which i later found out had the back door open letting freezing air in at night but that wasn't until the 2nd night. The hair dyer and box idea is so far not working so i plan to sand it off. I am also wondering if applying a thin layer of properly mixed resin would work?

As far as the hull goes, i don't realy want to throw this one out yet. The forming of the 1/8 basswood bottom was hard enough. And i am starting to build a larger springer. If all else fails i can start over but this was mostly just to get my building skills up to par.

Larger springer, I am planing on using two 550 motors to power 2 props. This is a rescue application. For using 2 motors i am wondering which ones to buy. What has worked good for others?

Regards, Marc
MarcRacer18 is offline Find More Posts by MarcRacer18
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
rcbif's Avatar
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Whooot! Maidened my springer today. She moves along nicely and turns on a dime. Once I finish painting the cab, and get some weights to balance her out I'll post a vid. Water cannon may not be functional till later next week.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
Registered User
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Whooot! Maidened my springer today.

Congratulations!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:04 PM
Taking care of the pond.
MILLERTIME's Avatar
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,275 Posts
We want pictures!!!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:37 AM
Menace to Navigation
Mrs. Toe's's Avatar
Central Coast of CA
Joined Apr 2007
130 Posts
Well Done, rcbif! And we Must Have Pictures! (Holding up the TBW side of things as the other half is deeply involved in his other interest.)
Mrs. Toe's is offline Find More Posts by Mrs. Toe's
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:20 AM
Registered User
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,438 Posts
Now being catty I have to ask.....I thought you were his other interests Mrs. Toes! LOL
Foo
fooman2008 is online now Find More Posts by fooman2008
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:27 AM
Restful User
Jacques Flambeau's Avatar
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
I'll ditto Foo's curiosity...
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:50 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
der kapitan's Avatar
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
Now being catty I have to ask.....I thought you were his other interests Mrs. Toes! LOL Foo
Ohhh---, some things we don't ask about---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:47 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
rcbif's Avatar
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Painting the cab now. And thanks to the miracle of Krylon paint, It will be cruising my pond this afternoon. Does anyone think it's worth buying some krylon satin clear coat for a top coat?
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2007
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Painting the cab now. And thanks to the miracle of Krylon paint, It will be cruising my pond this afternoon. Does anyone think it's worth buying some krylon satin clear coat for a top coat?
You might want to review this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120729 before you purchase that clear coat.

-Chris
contractor675 is offline Find More Posts by contractor675
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R/C Boats on TV putt_13 Dock Talk 1 Oct 23, 2011 12:30 PM
Wanted: old r/c boats slowflyer Boats (FS/W) 2 Jun 22, 2002 06:30 PM