HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 01:47 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
Yep, I'm still looking for my next boat radio and would love for it to be set up with the twin stick...
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:35 PM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straty
why are they called springers
Because they are named after a handsome fellow who built the originals (me).
thecontinental is offline Find More Posts by thecontinental
Last edited by thecontinental; Sep 02, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:37 PM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_5026
From what I understand they are named after these people, I dont know the story behind it. But if someone does know the story about how these boats came to be please share it with the rest of us.
That's my mom, my dad and my sister at what looks like Bellevue pond several years ago. Basically the story is that a bunch of guys in my club (NWRCSM) wanted to built scratch but didn't have the means. So my dad and I cut out some "kit" pieces and gave them at at meetings. Apparently they've really taken off since I've been out of the hobby In fact in the first few pictures you see the one that is black hulled, white house with twin stacks? I built that and sold it it Tom Stevens of NWRCSM who painted it and repowered it. The actually ORIGINAL boat itself is in my dad's storage unit collecting dust in Seattle, it's based off a tug he had back in the 60's or 70's named the Ellrington.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:44 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
thecontinental said:

"That's my mom, my dad and my sister at what looks like Bellevue pond several years ago. Basically the story is that a bunch of guys in my club (NWRCSM) wanted to built scratch but didn't have the means. So my dad and I cut out some "kit" pieces and gave them out at meetings. Apparently they've really taken off since I've been out of the hobby In fact in the first few pictures you see the one that is black hulled, white house with twin stacks? I built that and sold it it Tom Stevens of NWRCSM who painted it and repowered it. The actually ORIGINAL boat itself is in my dad's storage unit collecting dust in Seattle, it's based off a tug he had back in the 60's or 70's named the Ellrington."

Hi all,

So now we know.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:53 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,599 Posts
I think that I am going to build one as well. Maybe I could get my club guys to build one too so we can do springer contests.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:57 PM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
thecontinental said:

"That's my mom, my dad and my sister at what looks like Bellevue pond several years ago. Basically the story is that a bunch of guys in my club (NWRCSM) wanted to built scratch but didn't have the means. So my dad and I cut out some "kit" pieces and gave them out at meetings. Apparently they've really taken off since I've been out of the hobby In fact in the first few pictures you see the one that is black hulled, white house with twin stacks? I built that and sold it it Tom Stevens of NWRCSM who painted it and repowered it. The actually ORIGINAL boat itself is in my dad's storage unit collecting dust in Seattle, it's based off a tug he had back in the 60's or 70's named the Ellrington."

Hi all,

So now we know.

Yup. I suspect Keith S. is a guy I remember from NWRCSM and if so he can verify this. I just can't believe all you guys have them now and like them, that's fantastic Also, I think I saw somebody say the SF model yacht club has competitions with these, if they read this, were are these meets? I am in school in the Bay Area and I'd like to check it out. All my boats are in storage back in Seattle as I don't have time for them but someday I'd like to break them out again.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 04:13 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,600 Posts
Contact Ken Valk at the SFMYC, he knows all about the action!
kenvalk at pacbell.net

Pat Matthews
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Sep 02, 2006, 08:53 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,600 Posts
Day 3:
Progress slow... pre-nups include yard duty for me. But still managed to attach deck, glass everything (ready for final sanding!), and built deck house. In the spirit of Springer Simplicity, windows and doors will be painted on.

Pat M
Old Sep 02, 2006, 08:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
Yep, the SFMYC is on Spreckles Lake in Golden Gate Park... I'm not sure when the next Springer event is going to be but if you are in the SF Bay Area, be sure to stop by on Saturday Oct 28 between 9 and 5 and check out "Wooden Boats on Parade V" - the RC wooden sail and powerboat display and parade...

(sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread! I'm sure there will be wooden springers there!!! )
Old Sep 02, 2006, 08:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
Looking great Pat!
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:00 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,600 Posts
I just heard that Wood Boats on Parade is canceled, due to insufficient resources (event organizing)... better check with Ken Valk.

Pat M

p.s., Thanks!
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:18 PM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Yep, the SFMYC is on Spreckles Lake in Golden Gate Park... I'm not sure when the next Springer event is going to be but if you are in the SF Bay Area, be sure to stop by on Saturday Oct 28 between 9 and 5 and check out "Wooden Boats on Parade V" - the RC wooden sail and powerboat display and parade...

(sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread! I'm sure there will be wooden springers there!!! )
Yeah I'm in the city from time to time as well as work out of Alameda, so I'd like to check that out. I enjoyed the time I spent building models, but I just plain don't have the time anymore unfortunatly.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
I hope it wasn't cancelled... showed up in the latest "Nautical News" (the newsletter of the SFMYC) that I recieved just this week in the mail...
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:36 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,107 Posts
Ahh, here it is in the Sept issue of the Nautical News:

Sunday 9/3 at 0920 "second Springer contest"
Sunday 9/24 at 0900 "third Springer contest"

two Springer events in 1 month and I think this is fairly typical of the SF Springer fleet's activity level...

I HAVE TO BUILD ONE!!!
Old Sep 02, 2006, 11:20 PM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Ahh, here it is in the Sept issue of the Nautical News:

Sunday 9/3 at 0920 "second Springer contest"
Sunday 9/24 at 0900 "third Springer contest"

two Springer events in 1 month and I think this is fairly typical of the SF Springer fleet's activity level...

I HAVE TO BUILD ONE!!!
Yeah I just checked their website then emailed the commodore to see if it was alright if I stopped by for the 24th. I just wish I had some of my boats down here!