HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:48 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
rlboats2003 said:

"Karen (my wife) and I were lucky only the electricty went and we still had gas and water. We also did just close up of the boats, so we had 2 starter batteries and 3 house battereis - 2 inverters and the trickle charging solar array as well as 5 - 12v 7 amp hour gell cells from the model boat, 7 1,000,000 candle power searchlights and 2 pair of 12v emergency lightiting raided from the dumpster at work."

Hi Rich,

I see a lot of forethought in your preparedness, EXCEPT that you forgot to provide lighting for your workshop---. Booo---.

Our standard procedure for winter power outages is simple, just light the free-standing fireplace in the family room. Convection circulates the warm air, which makes the rest of the house at least liveable. Our hot water heater is gas-fired, as is the cookstove, so no problem there. And then, we have lots of candles---.

I've gotta get one of those emergency lights for my shop though, been meaning to, but---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:08 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
754 Posts
I guess we're spoilt living on the west coast here. In 1996 we had a dump of snow that left us puzzled! Since then, pretty fair weather.
Working on a new wheelhouse for a Springer, always looking for photos of others.
mike_victoriaBC is online now Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Mike, any pictures of your Springer? I'll post some of mine up soon-

Mine is now in 'glass- I used 1.5 oz cloth and West System epoxy- will need to be in paint this weekend if it going to be ready by the 28th! (SFMYC show!)
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
The clock is ticking!

I'm working hard to meet my objective of having my Springer in the water 10/28 for the SFMYC boats on parade!

A lot of the work involves planning drying times and working around those-doing sub-assembly work where possible to fill in the time-

this picture shows where I am at tonight- there is still a bit more painting to do- I'll add blue trim and paint the horizontal surfaces of the wheelhouse black to match the rest of the deck- I'll save weathering until after the show! this one will have working nav lights- hopefully those will arrive here before the end of this week! Systems (motor/ESC/Rx/servo) were removed when the boat was being sealed/glassed and have to be re-installed...
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:59 AM
Framingham, MA
Joined Jun 2003
91 Posts
Aero,

Where do the bitts come from on your springer?
Beez is offline Find More Posts by Beez
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:14 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Aero, I like the look of that wheelhouse, but I'm confused. Where is the door, or is the white paint camouflaging it?

From the look of those cleats, they certainly will be functional---.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Hey Beez! The bitts are not at all scale on this one- I went 'cheap and functional' for the Springer! They are 1:1 cleats bought from West Marine... The cleats on the sides and bow are @1 1/2" long (normally used for pennants and other light duty) and the one on the aft deck is @3"- they are simple, cheap and very strong- I used ss wood screws to attach them to the deck which is reinforced on the underside with 3/16 ply- I should be able to pick the boat up with no problems with any one of these!

for bitts that are more 'scale' you may try Harbormodels.com- They have a wide selection in their "accessory" section

EDIT: I'll measure those cleats to be sure... without them in front of me, I'm guessing their dimensions!
Last edited by Aerominded; Oct 23, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Hey Kapitan! the door is on the aft side of the wheel house, I will get a picture of it and post!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:07 PM
Framingham, MA
Joined Jun 2003
91 Posts
Actually Aero, those are exactly what I want for my barge and strength is important. Thanks.
Beez is offline Find More Posts by Beez
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:09 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Hey Kapitan! the door is on the aft side of the wheel house, I will get a picture of it and post!

Thanks Aero, I'm still working on my Springer hull, so I haven't gotten to thinking what I'm going to do with the topsides yet. My thoughts are to make up several cabin arrangements, and switch them from time to time. Like maybe one cabin with a low profile, and the other as a tallboy---.

By the way, what scale are these boats? I don't seem to recall anybody ever mentioning that.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:12 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Beez, these are the ones for you then! I'll get the specific measurements and brand names if possible- the small cleats are nice and less than $2 each! they'll handle up to about a 3/16 - 1/8" diameter chord so should be about right for tying up barges!
Last edited by Aerominded; Oct 23, 2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Hee hee, Kapitan, you seem to post when I am typing replies to Beez!

I think the scale is pretty much up to the builder but I've settled on 1/20 which makes this boat a 30'er... seems like a handy size to have around a protected harbor!

your idea about multiple cabin tops is a good one! changing them around can really change the character of the boat!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
[QUOTE=JayElTee]Kap, I just can't wait. That's really going to be some fun. I've never built from anything like that and I'm really anxious to give it a shot!

Hi John,

Well, I've finally gotten around to starting on it, and got the ball rolling this morning. Let's just hope that this thing comes out without any problems.

A few shots here of the start---.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:32 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,000 Posts
Hey! That hull looks familiar!!!

Nice looking plug Kapitan!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:32 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Hey! That hull looks familiar!!!

Nice looking plug Kapitan!
Hi Aero,

Gee, ya think? With all that vertical draft, it's going to be tricky to pull, if it will pull at all. I may end up with an overbuilt doorstop if things go badly.

I left a taper of 1/16" per side, and none at all on the ends. The skeg has about the same taper, and shouldn't cause any additional drag on the plug when I withdraw it. I've never done anything with clearances this tight, so we'll never know until then if I have a winner or a wiener.