HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boater_5026, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 01:24 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,371 Posts
Question about crane on page 83

Anybody know the manufacturer of the crane on page 83 #1239? I also would like to know the if ands about posting pictures of my springer and sand barge.
I found a sweet little tow boat on the Mississippi river they were dredging marinas with, took som pictures of it and modeled it on a springer hull. If any one is intrested I could also post them
Bob Pulse
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2007, 03:10 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
842 Posts
The crawler crane looks like the one I found in Toys R Us, the stand alone is new to me. But it never hurts to cruise the toy dept in Costco, Sam's Club, Radio Shack, etc. during any shopping trip. Lots of things with potential boat detail shows up.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Jul 07, 2007, 04:25 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
Robert; the crawler crane is as the Capt. says,is a ready made large chain-store (ToysRus etc) type item,fairly cheap to but a convincing item. The other crane is typical of the type common on Clydeside ship-building yards,the area where the model tug event was held , and I suspect that it may have been scratch-built by a local club member.
arrow5 is online now Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Jul 07, 2007, 09:17 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,818 Posts
Here is a link to one online...
http://www.hobbytron.com/RCTractorCr...12JHC0805.html

And here is an excellent barge build on Model boat Mayhem.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...p?topic=3821.0

These two barges make it very tempting to pick up a crane for a build, but what would I do with a working crane??
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 07, 2007, 09:25 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Here is a link to one online...
http://www.hobbytron.com/RCTractorCr...12JHC0805.html

And here is an excellent barge build on Model boat Mayhem.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...p?topic=3821.0

These two barges make it very tempting to pick up a crane for a build, but what would I do with a working crane??
Something like that would be novel, but it also depends on how much clutter you have in your workspace already---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:29 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,371 Posts
Crane and Pictures

That is what I am looking for. Is this hobbytron in the US? Also How do I post pictures? What size is best to post. If Ipost the pictures of the real thing you will see why I would like to have the crane.
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:49 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
"Molly Brown"

Nice rendition Robert, nice barge, a bit high in the water for that load of "sand" As for "Molly Brown" I got a start on Sat.but a visitation plus British Grand Prix on TV slowed things a bit. Here are the component parts and the hull glued together. I decided to use some 1.5" foam instead of the block planned. The sheet cuts very well with cheap snap-off blade knife. Deck has been added and is under pressure with slow cure epoxy, waterbased glues dont dry for weeks on the foam,will skin bottom of hull with 1/16th ply, add a couple of cross braces when epoxy cures(12 hours). Must do a barge too, non-arrowable type of course
Last edited by arrow5; Jul 08, 2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2007, 11:30 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
Arrow, with all that foam floatation, I imagine that your fears of sinking have been effectively abated.

Nice looking build, but I hope you left room for the necessary ballast---.
Old Jul 08, 2007, 01:28 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
Yep, that sinking feeling should be but just a memory ! A pal of mine has just re-roofed his house and presented me with a roll of lead flashing left over. Should be easy to auger some holes to add ballast. Maybe sheath the hull on the outside for football game protection !!!
Old Jul 08, 2007, 02:09 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,402 Posts
Arrow5 you beat me to it!

Same as yours a little different approach ...with 3/4" foam + 1/8" lieply both sides with something in the states by Dow called Fanfold Foam or FFF as the bottom... sheeted with 1/16 balsa. Will fg hull bottomwith resin epoxy . As a safe measure I used Gorrilla glue (which foams up into the smallest space)to attach sides to bottom. This s.o.b will not draw water from the bottom to hull joint .
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Jul 08, 2007, 02:48 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
We don't use fanfold much in the UK, hard to come by. I reckoned the solid foam blocks would make it unsinkable and birch ply to stop dings. It will be wing-skin weight glass and epoxy all over. I wish I`d used Gorilla Glue to laminated the blocks together to fill some of the gaps. Haven't started the top yet. Might go vintage steam again but a tug, ala Mrs Toes with suitable livery, any guesses what period or company?
Old Jul 08, 2007, 04:03 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2000
3,402 Posts
Can't guess myself know little about boating history ...now ask me about airplanes.... Like Depron in the US hard to get here and very $$, but makes beautiful wings and fuse with little post prep.

BTW the first top for the USH (Universall Springer Hull) will be a poor imitation of your beautiful Springer coal hauler.

Ralph
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Jul 08, 2007, 07:37 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow5
Might go vintage steam again but a tug, ala Mrs Toes with suitable livery, any guesses what period or company?
Arrow, as a guess, I'd think suitable livery would be a single malt distiller?