Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2006, 09:32 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Discussion
AMA Mag "Model Aviation"

The latest issue has a lot of good information aimed at all electric R/C modelers, (not just beginners), by people who know what they are talking about. If it gets any better, non-AMA members will want to buy their copy off the newstands.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2006, 09:36 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
Agreed.

I was reading the June issue this morning on the Metro in to work.
Lots of interesting articles on electric topics, and a particularly good comparison of some DIY brushless motors.

It seems each issue is getting more and more topics for electric flyers.

I would buy it off the news stand - if I was not an AMA member!
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
Old May 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,443 Posts
I was going to post something on this too. A lot of nay saying going on. And, Ticster, there is not a CL Navy Carrier column this month. In fact, coverage on non RC is a bit light this issue, with only one FF column and 2 CL (there is a very cool FF contest report from an Arizona event though).

I like the fact that lots of stuff is covered in the mag. Even if I don't participate in it.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 26, 2006, 09:49 AM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
I like how they misspelled "Electric" on the cover.
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Old May 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
I like the fact that lots of stuff is covered in the mag. Even if I don't participate in it.

Ryan
Amen. My two fvorite mags are MA and Flying Models - both cover all aspects of the hobby. I get ideas from many different disciplines, R/C, FF, indoor, CL, plastic models, etc.

Remember the model rocketeer's motto, "You don't have to have good ideas - you need to recognize good ideas when you steal them."

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old May 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,117 Posts
I agree, the mag has been getting a lot better. The first two pages showed a QQ bypyak and the E-flite Brio. E-fest, competition stuff....its getting to be a good magazine....finally.
And its still got all the stuff for the other guys too, like the articles about the F1A stuff.
Bryan Davison is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Davison
Old May 26, 2006, 09:59 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
For those who may not be members..
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 26, 2006, 10:48 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
For those who may not be members..
Funny. I thought they were talking about our own tic here. As in electic and it was his design. As you might imagine, I have not read the entire magazine yet.

Some tounge in cheek humor this morning.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 26, 2006, 10:58 AM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
And for those who want to see what the "other" flyers are saying about this month's e-heavy magazine:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43.../anchor/tm.htm

Not quite as warm of a reception by the IC guys. Poor AMA will never make everyone happy.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2006, 11:39 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDay
I like how they misspelled "Electric" on the cover.
I liked that too.
Was going to let it slide, though
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
Old May 26, 2006, 03:40 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
And for those who want to see what the "other" flyers are saying about this month's e-heavy magazine:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43.../anchor/tm.htm

Not quite as warm of a reception by the IC guys. Poor AMA will never make everyone happy.

- Jim
I was actually pretty impressed with the response; much "kinder" than I would have expected, especially after reading the rash of anti-AMA and MA posts over here. I would have thought it would have been similar to the way many parkfliers look for any reason at all to attack MA. BTW, after reading RCU's thread, read jbourke's blog, including the 40% Extra setup with the dual Axis-pretty interesting, but also pretty expensive!
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Old May 26, 2006, 08:07 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've said this before: I really wish I could find MA on shelves here. When I could, I bought most copies, and read every page. (Someone questioned my sanity on this, but at that time there were many interesting contributors, and I have no reason to expect a change in the quality of the magazine.)

Lots of Knucklebones out there, ie, guys who are wiling to knock everyone else's efforts, but contribute little.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old May 27, 2006, 05:29 PM
Brute Force and Ignorance
Rocky Point, NC
Joined Nov 2005
153 Posts
I have always enjoyed MA. But I am a voracious reader. But if you guys are just now noticing electric articles, you must have skipped a few issues. There has been alot of E-Flight discussion in the past year. They have been paying attention to big electrics and how they work. Good for me as I plan on e-cuting my 2 glow planes eventually.
Battlemg is offline Find More Posts by Battlemg
Old May 27, 2006, 06:37 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
If it gets any better, non-AMA members will want to buy their copy off the newstands.

No thanks, I still have plenty of rolls of Charmin in the bathroom......besides, I think Hemmings Motor News is a much better value for the amount of paper you get for your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
Lots of Knucklebones out there, ie, guys who are wiling to knock everyone else's efforts, but contribute little.
(Usta Bee looks left, then right.....hmmm.... wonder who he could be referring to ? )
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old May 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
No thanks, I still have plenty of rolls of Charmin in the bathroom......besides, I think Hemmings Motor News is a much better value for the amount of paper you get for your money.

(Usta Bee looks left, then right.....hmmm.... wonder who he could be referring to ? )
I'm sure that we all enjoy your great wit and relevant, insightful observations.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged