Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 24, 2006, 10:40 PM
Temple, TX.
Joined Dec 2004
58 Posts
Discussion
Cermark Breeze II elevator problem

I noticed that the elevator seemed to have less and less effect while trying to pull up during my last flight of my Breeze II. Needless to say this was a bit of a problem so I landed and looked over the plane.
The control rod is a plastic tube within another plastic tube with the servo in the forward area of the fuselage. It appears that the plastic rod is flexing within the fuselage when it is "pushing" the elevator up and so has little actual effect on the control surface. The control rod is not accessible so I don't see an easy fix other than to possibly pour some "Gorilla Glue" (expanding foam) into the back of the fuselage and hope that it contacts the plastic rod and adds support.
Does anybody have experience with this type of problem? Any suggestions for a cure?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Tamudoc04 is offline Find More Posts by Tamudoc04
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2006, 11:18 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,256 Posts
Hi Greg,

I have had mine for a while and have put some serious miles on it, and some of those were really hard miles.
I have not had a problem yet.
I did a review for this airplane in Model Airplane News and can honestly say it is a really great plane. How do you like yours?

I think expanding foam would probably be your best bet.
I think I would also consider cutting off the rudder removing about a half inch of the wood pouring in some epoxy in hopes that it might cure your problem. If not get some of the expandable foam from home depot with the applicator tube and inserting it thru the hole filling it that way.
Then reapplying the rudder using new CA hinges after fixing the half inch hole.

Hope these ideas help.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2006, 02:11 PM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
You do need to secure that pushrod. I'm not a fan of the expanding foam. First of all its a lot heavier than you think and worse, it expands and expands and expands. It may well push your fuselage out of shape before it stops expanding.

A couple alternates: If you can get a piece of balsa stick down the fuselage next to the pushrod and attached to the pushrod at several points it will stiffen the pushrod.

If the pushrod is against the fuselage and you can reach those areas with a long stick with a dab of Goop on the end you can secure the pushrod against the side of the fuse.

Worst case you could drill some holes in the fuse and inject glue next to the pushrod to secure it to the side.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamudoc04
I noticed that the elevator seemed to have less and less effect while trying to pull up during my last flight of my Breeze II. Needless to say this was a bit of a problem so I landed and looked over the plane.
The control rod is a plastic tube within another plastic tube with the servo in the forward area of the fuselage. It appears that the plastic rod is flexing within the fuselage when it is "pushing" the elevator up and so has little actual effect on the control surface. The control rod is not accessible so I don't see an easy fix other than to possibly pour some "Gorilla Glue" (expanding foam) into the back of the fuselage and hope that it contacts the plastic rod and adds support.
Does anybody have experience with this type of problem? Any suggestions for a cure?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
ThermalBuster is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBuster
Old May 25, 2006, 04:07 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Actually, the gorilla glue is the same as probond, a polyurethane adhesive that expands as it cures. It's exactly what I use to install those plastic tubes against the sides of a fuselage that uses them, as you only have to dribble a little down outside of the tube and ensure it's laying up against the fuselage as it cures..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
I notice on the Cermark web page that the current model is the Breeze III. Does anyone know what was changed/updated? Would the Breeze be considered a hotliner or a warmliner and how is the handling at slower speeds? It seems to be a good value $ wise if it handles well.

Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin