HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:46 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
So Cal Electric Fun Fly, Sunday July 28

Black Sheep Exhibition Squadron Annual Fun Flyat Apollo Field
Sunday July 28 from 8am to 4pm. $2 Landing Fee + AMA card
Location: Sepulveda Recreation Dam at the intersection of the 101 & 405 Freeways.
Contest Director: Tony Naccarato of T&A Hobby House

Bring your electric fliers & have a ball! This event grows each year and attracts scores of electric flight enthusiasts. Come fly, visit and gawk at all the fine, odd, beautiful and very odd flying objects the gather at this fine meet.
The miniature flying machines we've all seen on TV and in the press will be there. Astro Flight (Astro Bob) will be there. The Hacker reps will be there to give demonstrations. Dan Kreigh, designer of the IFO will be there. MM Glider Tech's Merrill Brady and his Wedgie will be there.
Are you gonna be there? Or, are you gonna be Square? Like the man said: "Come on Down!"
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:02 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
I am coming with Sean from Aero-Model but I haven't been to the field. Does the club have a web site, street address or GPS coordinates at the field so we can find it easier? We expect to arrive on Saturday afternoon possibly. Will there be open flying that day too or should we just wait until Sunday to go there? Can we fly earlier than 8 AM on Sunday? How about shade, runway surface, restrooms on site etc. We need to know if we should bring a tent, lunch and such. Any frequencies at the field to avoid?
I'm guessing it's about a 7 hour trip so we'll have to head back to Phoenix by 2 PM or so.
Thanks
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:52 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Dave –

Check this thread for a map of the area. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=47946

It’s a public field, and I don’t think there are any events planned for Saturday, so you should be able to fly to your hearts content. And I’m sure you’ll be able to fly Sunday morning as well.

The runway is asphalt and is in excellent shape. There’s also a large grass area, so you don’t have to scrape the bottom off your sailplanes. There’s a large row of trees to the west and some covered work areas, which provide plenty of shade. There’s a rudimentary bathroom with running water and there’s usually a roach coach lurking about. There are plenty of eating opportunities in the local area.

I live a couple miles away, and you’d be more than welcome to stay at my house. I’ll be at 14,000 feet in the Sierras on Saturday and Sunday, so you’d have the run of the place. Just let me know – I’d be happy to set you up.

Pete Schiess
North Hills, CA
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 18, 2002, 08:27 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
Dave

Like FOK says.

The field is open to the public (with AMA card) every day from dawn to dark. In the case of a scheduled special event, like this one, it is closed to those who do not fit the rules of the event.
You may fly as soon as it is safe on Sunday. At 8am the IC fliers are excluded and only electric flight is permitted until 4pm when the field returns to full public use.
We wecome you to our cool weather and crowded highways

Joe
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jul 19, 2002, 09:42 AM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fok
Dave –

snip
I live a couple miles away, and you’d be more than welcome to stay at my house. Pete Schiess
snip
North Hills, CA
Thanks for the info guys and to Pete, thanks for the offer. We have arrangements for lodgings at a relative's house. See you in about a week.

Dave
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:56 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Please Post Pictures After the Event

I used to live in Los Angeles back in the 60's and my parents would take me out to the flood basin to fly my free flight .049 and control line planes like the Cox PT-19. Back then there was a runway and asphalt circles for control line planes. I'd love to see what the area looks like now since it's been over 30 years since I was there.

Thanks

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 22, 2002, 05:54 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Kelvin -

This old thread has a couple pictures of the field. Not too much has changed since I flew C/L there as a kid in the early 70s. The runway and pitts have been resurfaced and the C/L circles are still there, and used regularly. The corn fields are gone, replaced by a public park, japanese gardens, wetlands for migrating waterfowl, and some plain old open space.

It's definitely one of the nicer fields around, although there sure are a lot of coconuts flying on the weekends. It's a great place to watch underskilled pilots turn overpowered trainers into matck sticks .

A good number of e-fliers at the field too.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 28, 2002, 07:06 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,943 Posts
Anyone have a report on this event ? Pictures ?
Inquiring E Zoners want to know
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jul 29, 2002, 01:32 PM
San Fernando Valley
Joined Jun 2002
444 Posts
B29 Video

Hi Ed. I showed up at about 2pm, but just in time to catch the flight of a beautiful B-29 bomber, powered by four electric motors. I don't know the pilot-owner's name, though I know that Tony from Tony & Addie's Hobby Lobby was there to help launch. If you were there, and you know his name, please post it so he gets proper credit.
I've attached a video of the flight. The sounds from the nearby airport really added to the realism of the flight. The plane doesn't have landing gear, so it was hand launched. Since it had to be landed on it's belly, the pilot put it down on the grass, but had to dump a bit early to avoid the asphalt taxi way just ahead.
Enjoy the video.
http://66.34.111.213/video/rc/b29_rm_100k.htm
--Mark
markwild is offline Find More Posts by markwild
Old Jul 29, 2002, 01:38 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,582 Posts
Re: B29 Video

Quote:
Originally posted by markwild
Hi Ed. I showed up at about 2pm, but just in time to catch the flight of a beautiful B-29 bomber, powered by four electric motors. I don't know the pilot-owner's name, though I know that Tony from Tony & Addie's Hobby Lobby was there to help launch. If you were there, and you know his name, please post it so he gets proper credit.
I've attached a video of the flight. The sounds from the nearby airport really added to the realism of the flight. The plane doesn't have landing gear, so it was hand launched. Since it had to be landed on it's belly, the pilot put it down on the grass, but had to dump a bit early to avoid the asphalt taxi way just ahead.
Enjoy the video.
http://66.34.111.213/video/rc/b29_rm_100k.htm
--Mark
Mark: that was steve neill's b29
btw, nice video
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Last edited by gregg f; Jul 29, 2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 05:49 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Ed

It was pretty amazing. There were about 70 flyers (I showed up around noon and got #66), about 100-120 planes, and maybe 200+ lookers.

I don't know any names except for Tony (and a few other local flyers), but I can tell you a bit about some of the planes.

The B-29 was beautiful (4 speed 400s), and there were quite a few other warbirds. A nice brushless TA-152, A spitfire (althought I didn't see it fly), a pair of de Havilland Vampires (speed 480, and cobalt 400 pushers), several edf Mig 15s and F-86s (man are they fast), and probably 5 or 6 others that I forget.

There were several Zagis, and the like, including a very small built-up one (balsa and covering with a 22" (aprox) wing span) that weighed only 4 ounces, and was powered by two very small motors geared together.

The Hacker guys came from Arizona, and put on quite a show. If you've never seen an electric plane hover and torque roll, then you really missed something. They brought several planes with them, and they were all impressive both on the ground and in the air.

Matthew Keenon was there with his 43 gram P-47. He has several planes, all of them looking small enough to be 1/72 scale plastic models. Only these "models" are 3 channel powerhouses, that fly incredibly fast.

Some serious competitive gliders were on hand as well, including the current world champion in F3J (or some catagory, please forgive me, I can't remember some details, like names ) They were timing their gliders accelleration with a speed gun. It was amazing to see how wonderful those planes fly.

There were a few speed 400 racers, a few bandits (looking more like racers than gliders) as well, both were burning up the sky. There were a few trainers, a Miss 2, quite a few foamy planes of varies types/sizes including Crazy Maxs, and of course several of the ubiquitious Tiger Moths.

One guy from the Black Sheep Squadron had an incrdible scratch built Jenny. The scale detail was impressive, but he broke his gear box on an earlier flight, and so was grounded when I got there.

A couple of guys were flying a plane that looked like the Gnat from Northeast Sailplane Products. They were playing tag in a fairly strong breeze, doing touch-and-gos on a strip of asphalt only 30 inches wide, playing follow-the-leader, and they never flew further that 30 feet from each other. They even hit each other once with no damage and neither plane landed. It was an impressive display of skill and fun.

The weather was warm (mid 80s) with a breeze that started slow in the morning, and was 10-15 plus by 4:00 pm. Everyone ahd a seet in the shade (everyone that wasn't flying that is.

I hear that next year it might go to 2 days, have room for camping, and have a larger vendor invlovment like the fun-fly in November that Tony also puts on.

If you want to know specifics about a certain plane, then let me know cause I'll be going by Tony's shop this week, and I think he took photos as well as being the CD.

Sorry I can't be more informative. I wasn't planning on writing about this show, and spent most of my time flying my new MiniSpeedWing.

Eric
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Jul 29, 2002, 09:47 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,943 Posts
Eric,
Thanks for your informative report. Sounds like you had a great time. The Hacker folks sure know how to put on a 1st class demo of airplanes with Hacker power and .....flying too .... keeps mere mortals like us motivated
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old Jul 31, 2002, 02:23 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
718 Posts
Sounds like this was a great e-vent, where are all the pictures? After some searching all I have been able to fine is the rcsoaring site photo gallery.

http://www.rcsoaring.com/
click on "Multimedia Gallery 2002"

Dose anybody have pictures or video from this e-vent?
fbw4 is offline Find More Posts by fbw4
Old Jul 31, 2002, 02:44 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fbw4
Sounds like this was a great e-vent, where are all the pictures? After some searching all I have been able to fine is the rcsoaring site photo gallery.

http://www.rcsoaring.com/
click on "Multimedia Gallery 2002"

Dose anybody have pictures or video from this e-vent?
some pic's here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&threadid=53974
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f