SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2006, 03:08 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Discussion
CMP 140-size P-40E conversion/kit bash.

It's here, and it's looking good. I'm positively surprised. The fuselage is lighter than my ESM Spitfire fuselage and the wing is light and smooth as well.

Mods I will do:
-Move the landing gear inwards to the scale location.
-Change the shape of the elevator counterweights.
-Move the chin louvres forwards in front of the wing LE instead of under the wing.
-Whatever else I find to be far from scale.
-Flaps probably.

I have already done most of the hard work involved in moving the landing gear inwards. I cut holes in the right spot, and luckilly this is between two ribs just outside the wing joiner tube. I made mounting blocks out of 6 mm plywood. In the picture below they are installed in one of the wings with a block of hardwood to keep them level in the hole.

The included wheels were tiny, just 3", so naturally I'm not going to use them. Instead I have some 4.5" wheels and they are just a few mm too small. The included spinner looks like it belongs on a P-51. I bought a 4.5" Dave Brown spinner and it's a few mm too small so I will make a properly shaped one.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Last edited by Lynxman; May 24, 2006 at 03:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2006, 05:27 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,838 Posts
Did that spinner come with it?
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old May 24, 2006, 05:30 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
No that's a Dave Brown spinner. It came with a black, plastic, parabolic spinner.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,838 Posts
Dang, you know... it really looks pretty good. When you get a chance, how about a good profile shot of the nose?
Old May 25, 2006, 07:28 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
It's not perfect. You can see in the 3-view overlay how wrong the stock louvres were. They start behind the trailing edge of the chin on the model but I will cut the chin to shape new ones in a more scale location because it just looks weird the way the kit was made. Some of the mis-matching is due to the wide camera angle.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 25, 2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:38 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
The wing looks to be completely symmetrical with a little washout at the tip. There's a generous amount of glue on the ribs and everywhere else. The kit also included a non-functional drop tank.

My Soloprops are shipping today.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:13 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
A lot of room in the nose. The backwall has plenty of room for a 12 cm speaker even. I'm not going to install a sound system (yet).
Old May 25, 2006, 12:01 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
One set of mounting beams installed. The retract unit was installed while glueing to ensure they were aligned and level, and that the retract would operate smoothly.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:01 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Almost done with the wheel wells and landing gear mod. It was easier than I thought to do this mod. I have cut one of the main beams to make room for the strut so I have to make a big plywood doubler. I will also add some bits and pieces to support the new undercarriage beams better.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:35 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I'll be able to put it on its own three feet soon.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:37 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,838 Posts
what's the scoop on the retracts?
Old May 26, 2006, 10:42 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
They operate smoothly and easilly. They are Robart 615 units so I hope they will hold up to the weight. There is no lock in the up-position. Chances are the plane will end up at less then 12 lbs so I'm crossing my fingers. the retract covers are a little too shallow to be scale so they barely cover the retract units. I want to try making operating doors.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:50 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Are they mechanical?
Is the servo going to load up every time you pull G's?
They do look pretty.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old May 26, 2006, 01:34 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
They are pneumatic so the only issue is that they might drop out a little, hehe.

I have been planning how to cut the chin now. I'll think about it a little more before I go nuts with the dremel. Ideally I should cut some deeper slots in the chin so taht I can pull the trailing edge together to create a more scale curve on the bottom because it's straight in the trailing edge now. I can't make up my mind about wether it will be worth it.

I will change the front of the bellypan as well. You can see I have cut off the flaps.
Old May 26, 2006, 04:56 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Modifying the elevators.