HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2006, 01:53 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Discussion
Looking for Pics/info on Gull by K Kuosma

OK This is a long shot Im looking for a plan, information on, or pictures of The Gull by K kuosma it used to be listed by MAP /Nexus/ Modelflight.

Its a high gull winged design as per Spook the vintage design, its a 63" span flying boat with a streamlined engine pod and streamlined hull and high swept T tail as per HP Victor V bomber ......It may have been designed as a free flight but was RC for 2.5cc glow motors.
In fact from the tiny thumb nail picture I have it could be a very attractive model very streamlined and seemingly living up to its avian name.

I will post the picture if I get stuck or I can render it significant........but its very tiny - if very intriguing
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jan 22, 2007 at 07:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2006, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2 Posts
SEESCHWALBE by Keuko KUOSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
OK This is a long shot Im looking for a plan, information on, or pictures of The Gull by K kuosma it used to be listed by MAP /Nexus/ Modelflight.

Its a high gull winged design as per Spook the vintage design, its a 63" span flying boat with a streamlined engine pod and streamlined hull and high swept T tail as per HP Victor V bomber ......It may have been designed as a free flight but was RC for 2.5cc glow motors.
In fact from the tiny thumb nail picture I have its could be a very attractive model very streamlined and seemingly living up to its avian name.

I will post the picture if I get stuck or I can render it significant........but its very tiny - if very intriguing
You can find a plan on www.vth.de in "online shop " under plans, wasserflugmodelle (a German online plans catalogue)

There are 3 plans of K Kuosma, one of them is the " SEESHWALBE T6"
span 160 cm.
Looks like the one you are looking for!

Peter
peter cornelis is offline Find More Posts by peter cornelis
Old May 24, 2006, 06:20 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Thanks peter I was going to go back there and look for it again I had a dim memory - it seems to be of a familly of designs the top ones actually a swimming motor glider.....auto translator....the bottom matches the span but its the middle one that has the tail diheadral they all seem to date back to 1967
http://www.vth.de/shop/shopfiles/sho...id=47&sparte=2

What I should really have asked is who's got pics or experience of the model or Kauko Kuosma 's work...............Ive done a Quick google and it looks like those crazy Germans over at Wasserflug ....may have a lead but I will watch this space.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 26, 2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:44 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
There was at least one flying in the UK at the Kielder Water Splash-in a couple of years ago, builder unknown. Some of the BWA members should know him. Got the feeling he was local , ie NE England. I did buy the plans in the 60s but it was way beyond my building skill then. I did finish a converted f/f "Seal" shown on the same page above. Flew OK on Rud.El. & throttle. Modern lightweight gear would make it a more viable proposition today, or electric. Would these plans be available from the X-list people ? I think that Kauko Kuosma might be Finnish.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old May 25, 2006, 05:33 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Hi Dunc

Hi mate ..trust you to know something ..he is Finnish apparently hes well known for his wooden children's toys as well but its not an easy language to decypher........BWA....????
Im trying to secure a hard copy of a 72"Spook at the moment but ......the squirrel in me keeps saying right get rid of the scale plans and plans you don't want and finish the collecting by getting the 3-4 you still do want. ones the 82" span HP Victor PSS

This one has been at the back of my brain since I was a kid....and I was given a couple of old MAP and KK catalogue's now it wont go away

Id like to see better what it looks like and if possible understand how its constructed .......the 2m span version seems better to me.

So I will ask people to keep looking and fish through their memories to see if I can get any more clues /links.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 25, 2006 at 05:41 AM.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:33 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,722 Posts
http://www.vth.de/shop/shopfiles/pro...cat=1&sparte=2

is this available in the states?
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old May 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Ive put most of my links on the subject of Model and real waterplanes here...........http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448080...... I added a couple of stateside plans sites recently which have VTH Modelflight designs available see the###### marks check those first.
The other one to check is the wasserflug site for free down loads.
Ive just checked Wasserflug has moved and or is being re built ....I will have to contact someone.

The other original 63" Gull is available through the X list as Duncan said but I still need more info please.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 25, 2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:12 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,223 Posts
Clive: BWA, British Waterplane Assn, a few hardcore members, about 150 normaly. They dont have a web site. Contact Alasdair Sutherland (author of "Aerodynamic Forum" and "Splashing Around" columns in RC Model World magazine) email alasdair@gvmac.com They have about a dozen events up and down UK every year.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Jul 07, 2006, 05:42 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Gull evolution by the designer

Once in a while E bay does something odd and throws something your way you were looking for - so it was a 1963 Aero modeler mag came up and I spotted a couple of names in the contents..........if Ive done wrong I will deleat it but its a Golden needle of oportunity in a proverbial haystack of time......Kuosma's own words on this models evolution from over 40 years ago..enjoy
Its here as a tribute, to stimulate interest in the Designer and his works and as a tribute to a pre ARTF age ...and almost pre RC

Bleak T9 looks possibly even better than the Gull T10.......
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jul 07, 2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2006, 01:20 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
A picture from Arrows collection

RC conversion of Kusomas Free Flight designs

Can anyone help me track the source of the Tern picture, the model is a Tern..............done it its the Wasserflug site...........pay it a visit
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 20, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2006, 05:36 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
224 Posts
The Gull, Seal and other water bird plans are available here . http://www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/ They are on the 6th page bottom right corner with codes that start with WP.
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland
Old Dec 09, 2006, 07:00 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Hi David thanks this thread got spread over several areas as happens with a free flight water plane ..I got the X list link from the start but ~I was looking for pictures and experiences of the Gull...............I subsequently picked up a old but serviceable plan off EBay for a few quid.. ..at the time I had huge PC problems so couldn't access the net and haven't updated all the threads I cross linked/started . Try this , thanks ...if you have any first/second hand /direct experience /photos please add here.
The other half is at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=538243&pp=15 I would love to see a T5 0r T9 Bleak on the water so to speak.
Old Dec 09, 2006, 08:52 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
224 Posts
The Tern 4 caught my eye. Any plans available?
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland
Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:25 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
I don't have an answer to that one yet. I may have to speak to the Wasserflug guys...........Ive got an Idea the mainland \Europeans may be able to tell us more about the man and his work.....I know he designed wooden toys furniture etc as well and I found a web site but Finnish isn't in my repertoire.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
Sea & Land
Finland
Joined Jan 2007
54 Posts
Hello all! Kauko Kuosma is my father. He's pretty old nowdays, 81. I have been an enthusiast of his planes from since I was a kid... I can tell that they still fly, beutifully! When I get a scanner I'll scan all the pictures I have for you. The newest model is T-36 from 1996. I also built 8 of them, we have a total of 23 planes at our summer cottage.

By the way, he didn't build any toys. He founded the Finnish model railway club, and he has i think about 80 model trains he desinged and built. He also desinged and built 4 full scale motorboats, biggest being 75hp and 7m long.
My father is a classical pianist / composer by his profession.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have all his original drawings. I think I have about 21 of them...
-Tapio
Tapio Kuosma is offline Find More Posts by Tapio Kuosma
Last edited by Tapio Kuosma; Jan 26, 2007 at 10:49 AM.