HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2006, 11:48 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Discussion
Livermore Ca, Slopers at Del Valle

I've been flying up at Del Vale on week days for a few years now. But in the last couple months, I've been getting hit like crazy with glitches.
Any one else have any problems?? Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2006, 12:21 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
72mhz?? Channel#??

Seems I get hit sometimes when flying down to the south end of the west facing bowl .I figure it might have been because I was pointing the antenna straight at my plane at that point and since I've been making a conscious effort to try keeping it pointed away from the plane it seemed to be less of an issue...
Other than that I've been flying there for 10 years or so and have never had any problems...Patterson Pass is a different story...I won't even fly there anymore because I was always getting smacked big time while flying off to the SE end of the site

Might be that The Lab has radiation sensors embedded in the hillside and the transponders are killing our signals ??

HTH

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old May 24, 2006, 01:24 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
It's the antigravity machines.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old May 24, 2006, 04:41 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Thanks Steve,
I'm on ch 29, 34 and 49. I used to fly ch 20, but it seemed worse that the others.
On the west side, facing west towards the bowl, I've always got very small hits, at the beginning and ending of the small landing area there, but lately, its been major hits. A couple weeks ago a member and I went sloping and both got hit hard enough to loose total control and crashed. I was using GWS rx's but he had a good duel conversion. For some reason it seems that when a couple cars go by, it gets worse.
I had a mini speed wing that was flying fine for 10 minutes, go totaly out of control when a car pulled off the road next to where the plane was, a couple years ago.
I chopped the power and let it crash, went to pick it up, just feet away from the car and when I did, I noticed that the 2 people in the car were on there cell phones.
So who knows whats happening. Butch
Old May 24, 2006, 12:20 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Lowest Common Denominator

IMO, get back to basics to test out the RF environment up there.

If you have a simple 2CH wing or R/E glider with a simple 72MHz FM Dual Conversion RX (like a Hitec 555 or Electron 6), then take those up there and try to fly them, ranging to the same areas where you had problems.

If you don't have the same type of problems, I would suspect issues with your RX, ESC, battery, antenna, CF sturcture issues.

I've been flying there for about 5 years (I'm the newbie at the site) and 99% of the time I have no problems at all -- and I've flown maybe 12 different planes there! Most of my planes use Hitec 555 or Electron 6 RXs, but I do have one Berg 5 RX. I have had a few events as you described, but I was always able to discover later on, that they were caused by my own electronics system (TX, RX problems, wiring, ESCs, etc...).

Go with the LCD and see if you can continue to see problems, then go from there.

IMO

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old May 24, 2006, 08:52 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
Hey John,
The problem is; the planes that are getting hit, are my old reliable planes that I've been flying up there for a few years now. They've taken several crashes along the way. So I wonder if the rx's or the crystals can be the problem. I'll have to take some of my Berg equipped planes out there and compare them over the same areas. Thanks, Butch
Old May 25, 2006, 12:03 AM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
I recently sent in a Hitec 555 that I had some "issues" (several unexplained crashes)!!!
with, they diagnosed it as a "damaged 11.15 filter" and sent me a NEW Electron for $36.29 shipped. I guess they're not repairing 555's anymore, that's okay by me. Chris
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach
Old May 25, 2006, 03:29 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,872 Posts
DelValle hits...

Back when I began flying DV '89-90? There was a story about the sunlight hitting the drain pipe in the PM and causing radio hits.
Typically though I can't say I've experienced any 'hits' there.Quite a few crashes (low battery stuff) though.
I'll second John' idea,check your gear.
Oh yeah and your Tx antennae.
Skies.
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old May 26, 2006, 09:41 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
I've had numerous hits there!!! I have crashed several times and had near disaterous landings! It must be interference!
Or could it be I'm just not such a great pilot...
No. It must be that I'm getting hits. Yea, that's it.
hbielich is offline Find More Posts by hbielich
Old May 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
Steve, how's it going with the Trinity? Looks like a good weekend for flying. See you there...
hbielich is offline Find More Posts by hbielich
Old May 26, 2006, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Re: the 535's- I sent in a bunch about 6 month ago that were DOA from impact with the ground, and they offered to replace them with the 555 for $20.00 each. I think HiTec is getting away from the mid-priced receiver and going to either the HS-05 type, or Electron 6.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old May 26, 2006, 11:29 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbielich
Steve, how's it going with the Trinity? Looks like a good weekend for flying. See you there...
You don't want to know.... flap servo(s) failed while in crow mode and it went in hard....might be totalled..haven't had the heart to do a full survey yet

See ya

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old May 26, 2006, 12:09 PM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Greetings.

I flew last night and the only hits I got were from the Red-Winged Black Birds.

Ciao.
DCS is offline Find More Posts by DCS