HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2006, 06:58 PM
Mississippi
Joined Feb 2004
46 Posts
Poll
CAI jet kits

I woud like to know if you would like to see the CAI jet kit line back up and flying?? like the Razor Raptor and preditor ?? it would be a slow starte at first just would like to know what you guys think about it??
F-111Nut is offline Find More Posts by F-111Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2006, 05:41 AM
Joined May 2004
602 Posts
Never heard of them. Got any links or pictures to help us decide?

Dave
HobbyCNC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCNC
Old May 24, 2006, 08:44 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,902 Posts
They have been out of business for a few years, the tooling is up for sale on RCU. Love to see em back, some of the planes look very nice!
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jun 03, 2006, 08:38 PM
Burnin Kero & Diesel Downunder
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111Nut
I woud like to know if you would like to see the CAI jet kit line back up and flying?? like the Razor Raptor and preditor ?? it would be a slow starte at first just would like to know what you guys think about it??
I really admired the CAI aircraft designs when they were on the market a few years back especially their big sport jets.... from memory the CAI sport jets had one piece wings though correct?? How about a two piece wing design using a carbon shaft spar design this would be one area that if I may suggest could be worth simplifying for transport purposes. I really did like the CAI Raptor, Preditor shape and size for sport jets though and of course the big Panther. Enough F-100s kit options at present (BVM, AD) the F-100 does not appeal to me personally for what its worth...
Marty C... is offline Find More Posts by Marty C...
Old Jun 03, 2006, 08:59 PM
Burnin Kero & Diesel Downunder
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCNC
Never heard of them. Got any links or pictures to help us decide?

Dave
Hi Dave, Boy did you miss some fun! the CAI vs BVM wars controversy over on RCU.... if your interested do a search over on RCU for 'what happened to CAI' CAI were really set to shake the establishment at the time in many ways, alas those pesky sly purple reps did there work well during this period! You can see why when you checkout these pics of the Razor, Raptor and big CAI kitty, very nice aircraft that really perform excellently definetely a serious purple threat at the time it would have seamed....
Marty C... is offline Find More Posts by Marty C...
Last edited by Marty C...; Jun 03, 2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2006
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C...
CAI were really set to shake the establishment at the time in many ways, alas those pesky sly purple reps did there work well during this period! You can see why when you checkout these pics of the Razor, Raptor and big CAI kitty, very nice aircraft that really perform excellently definetely a serious purple threat at the time it would have seamed....
Well, I got a CAI Raptor at the time when Scotty Bolduc was telling everyone how his kits were so great they were gonna put BV out of business ... but the quality on my Raptor was so incredibly bad that the only way CAI would put BV out of business with stuiff like that was to drop one of them on BV's head and kill him with it.

Beautiful looking lines on the model (which is why I bought it), but the quality just plain sucked. The incidence on the stab varied enormously depending on whether you lined the stab up with the left saddle or the right saddle, and when I called Scotty up and asked him what the correct indicence should be, he had no idea. Glasswork quality was poor too - when I placed the canopy on the fuselage, it touched at both ends but the enormous gap in the middle (from the part being bowed) made it look kinda like the Golden Gate bridge ... you could get a lot of traffic under that big old gap.

The aileron & elevator fit to the wing & stab was also horrible, with enormous gaps. The fuselage to wing fit was also out by an enormous amount - the wing was a whopping 1/4" shallower than the fuselage at the part where they 'fit' together.

In the end, getting this "ARF" to fit together was much more work than building many other models from scratch. I could go on & on about all of the other issues, but why bother - I think you get the idea by now.

Supposedly some of the later kits had better quality, but by then the public had already learned to steer clear of the kits. You only get one chance to make a first impression, and Scotty blew his. He didn't need any purple people to shoot him down - he did a magnificent job of it all on his own.

Gordon
Gordon Mc is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Mc
Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
Mississippi
Joined Feb 2004
46 Posts
well i looked in to them and i am going to pass on the tools and stuff.. i am going to look in to some other things.. i got a few drawings here i may look in to building some tools for..
Old Jul 05, 2006, 06:22 PM
Joined Oct 2005
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris True
They have been out of business for a few years, the tooling is up for sale on RCU. Love to see em back, some of the planes look very nice!
What is RCU and what is that link? Or is it too late to even care about the tooling?
GAWnCA is offline Find More Posts by GAWnCA
Old Jul 06, 2006, 06:38 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,902 Posts
www.rcuniverse.com

It was in the classified section of the jet forum. Gone now...
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Jul 07, 2006, 06:59 PM
Mississippi
Joined Feb 2004
46 Posts
I will go back threw my email and see if i can find the guys address..