SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2006, 09:36 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Discussion
Beriev Be-200 for twin brushless EDF 40: finished, at long last!

There have been a few threads here and there about modeling the very pretty Russian turbojet amphibian, The Beriev Be-200. Few have yet to come to pass....

Here is a pic of a real one and several of my micro one, as well.

I am making significant balsa dust on this one at present and it is far enough along to actually show, I think. I am still bravely trying to have it ready for SMALL in Little Rock in about 12 days, but I think my saner side is going to exert itself any moment now and make me take some more time.

(I cut out all the Depron parts for a foam one some time back, but I never pursued the foamie one any further....I think I had overdosed on foam and needed a balsa fix.....)

This Be-200 design is a micro one, for twin EDF-40s/Feigao 25 turn 12 mm brushless motors, twin CC10 ESCs and typical micro radio gear.

Span is 38", wing area is about 180 sq in and expected flying weight is 17 -18 oz. The partial frame up in the pictures is weighing in at 4 oz. Most of the sheet construction is 1/16 balsa and most of it is contest grade 4-6 lb stock. Major construction work left is carving and hollowing the nose block, sheeting the upper fuse, upper wing surface, sheeting the large wing fairing and building fan mounts, nacelles, ailerons and tip floats.

The color scheme will be the often seen but very nice looking Beriev factory demonstrator in red, white, blue and gray.

Many thanks to my good freind Paul Willenborg for the CAD 3-view and much delightful consultation!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jun 01, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2006, 09:44 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,440 Posts
Thomas,
Nice work, it's on my list of things to do. I aquired a sales brochure about a year ago, stacked with all the rest of the real airplane info, so it pops up above the horizon everytime I go hunting for info on some airplane. I'll folow progress with interest.
Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old May 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Thanks, fuelsguy. This somewhat off the beaten path subject is a real favorite of mine.

On my someday list, already, is a larger version for a couple of Minifans.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 23, 2006, 02:23 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,731 Posts
Please make plans available. Paying for the plan is no problem. Looks like a very simple and clean design. Thanks for the thread.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old May 24, 2006, 12:12 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,495 Posts
Thomas,

That looks great - and illustrates how we all think differently...

I have drawn a plan in which the fuselage is of a similar construction - but the wings are fully built up - and film covered...
( I thought that the colour scheme lent itself particularly well to film )

I take it there will be no retracts !?!

Good luck with fnishing it in time...

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old May 24, 2006, 12:22 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
No retracts planned....going for a simple and fairly light version. Not even planning on flying it off water at this point, really.

I thought about a film covered unsheeted wing, but I have never really liked ribs showing on models of aircraft that have metal skinned wings. I found some really nice firm light 4-6 lb balsa to use for wing skins and I am willing to trade a few grams for the more realistic look.

Mine will be Solite/Litefilm covered. Will put down white for all the gray areas and prep and airbrush with a gray satin finish model enamel of some sort.

My work schedule is not going to let be get it done over the next week, but it shall fly soon this summer.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; May 24, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:49 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
nice job
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old May 26, 2006, 06:30 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Thanks, Sluf. This has to be my favorite transport type aircraft of all time...

No more progress to report, due to lots of job related work.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2006, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Hey Thomas I think I have some pic's somewhere as this very fine machine visited NZ a while back and very impresive it is. I'll post what I have later.
Old May 27, 2006, 05:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Thanks, Sluf. More pictures are always welcome.

The web info and pictures on the web for this bird has grown over the years, but more is always welcome.

Midlands Publishing in the UK is supposed to release a new book soon, if not already, on Beriev aircraft, including the Be-200. Supposed to be lots of pictures and some drawings, too.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2006, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Heres a couple from Airshow in 92 Thought I had more but inprocess of moving so all I could find.
Old Jul 09, 2006, 08:07 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Thomas have you found this page in Waterplanes a lot of links to Berievs http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...80#post4743596
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Jul 09, 2006, 01:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Already have those links, thanks.

Sluf, you were blessed with a visit of the Beriev A-40, not the Be-200....note the refueling probe, different nose shape and the radomes(?) on the engine mounts.

Similar, but not the same bird....much more military.

Not much more progress on the little Be-200. A little sanding and shaping and sheeting. Need to work out a bind in the elevator flex rod on one side before I can complete the fuse.

It will be ready for the fall events...DEAF and BEST.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:57 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
A40 Albatross is the Daddy of the 200 its officially the biggest by a third .......and largest operational Amphibian Aircraft-a rare bird.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:51 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,366 Posts
Any update on your progress Tom?
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss