HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2006, 02:55 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,096 Posts
Discussion
How strong is the Mibo Spirit-E wing?

Hi

This model is what I´m looking for, 2m wingspan, aileron+flaps, two piece wing...

And I would like to buy a slope plane, but I barely go to any slope because I have to little time to fly and there´s no slopes near my home, so a slope airframe wouldn´t worth the buy for me. Then the slope cone of the Spirit-E is a great option.

My concern is the strenght of the wing due to the light construction of Mibo models. I have the Micro Flash and I broke the wing in a crash (not too hard), and I don´t know if the Spirit is built the same way...

Is there any other similar option?

I would prefer a foam veneered wing, I think they are the best strenght/price value and easier to repair.

I only fly sport hotlining, but I hate flying with the concern of the wing, like I did with the Micro Flash

Thanks in advance
Andres
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2006, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2004
352 Posts
The same built as micro-flash

Do not use the wing for hotdoging
f5b@wannabe is offline Find More Posts by f5b@wannabe
Old May 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
I own a Spirit E that I run with a Neu 1506 motor on 12 GP2200's. Auw is 63oz, quite heavy for this plane I believe. The wings are pretty strong as I fly fairly aggressively and aerobatically with this model. I certainly would not recommend a terminal dive and full elevator pull out but it can be yanked about pretty well, even at this weight. If you keep it light there will be little you could not do with it. I have heard concerns over the quality of Mibo planes, but my experience has been the opposite in that regard, the model is of good quality for the price and certainly structurally sound (maybe I've just been lucky

BTW, it will tipstall when pulled hard in a pylon turn (even with snap flap).
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1
Old May 22, 2006, 06:46 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Orange County, CA
Joined May 2004
723 Posts
The Ion, (made in the Cheq Republic), available through Soaringusa.com, is a 2 meter, 2 piece, Obechi veneered over foam wing hotliner. Well thought of by many. Like $269 with flaps. Search Ion in this forum for much more info.

Mike
CptMike is offline Find More Posts by CptMike
Old May 22, 2006, 11:21 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
745 Posts
I've been flying my Spirit-E with 10 cells and Neu motor since last early this year. I broke the carbon spar in a crash that was all my fault...I got distracted when someone almost landed on my head. Anyway, I replaced the carbon spar with a steel one instead and now have a lot of confidence with this wing. I have been flying aggresively with it and have yet to have a problem. It's a nice plane for the money and versatile with the nosecone.
Chris
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old May 23, 2006, 09:59 AM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
why does your spirit stall in a pylon turn? My micro flash used to "tip stall" when I yanked and banked, but it turned out that one of the v-tail control surfaces was binding a bit more than the other, and only showed up at high stresses. after fixing this I could really pull on it, I never had any problems with the wing but I was running lipos so probably fairly lightweight. I had some of the messiest "landings" ever with this plane and the wing held up great for me! In fact I'm thinking about getting another one.
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old May 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
I think its just a matter of the high wing loading. The control surfaces are very solid, I'm certain that is not the cause. I think it more to do with the planform and excessive elevator throw.
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1
Old May 25, 2006, 12:38 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,096 Posts
I would use 10 gp2000, but I´m already thinking about purchasing some 20C lipos, probably Flight Power, so mine would be light.

About the Ion... I have never seen it like a hotliner, maybe it´s because here in Spain I´ve seen some, but the biggest prop I´ve seen was a 11x7 The weak fuse doesn´t help either...

I supose the Ion wing can´t be compared with the Bandit.

Thanks
Andres
Old May 25, 2006, 10:31 PM
Joined Sep 2003
376 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the flap control setup on this model (Spirit E)? It came with some nice threaded brass fittings, but it's not obvious to me how these are installed on the upper side of the flap (there is a recessed area but not enough material to hold the fitting.
tdearman is offline Find More Posts by tdearman
Old May 26, 2006, 10:19 AM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
you have to drill it out. there is some great build threads on the spirit e you can search for, or go to mibo's website.
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old May 27, 2006, 11:36 AM
now that's a wattmeter...
Singapore
Joined May 2002
1,136 Posts
Why not try the new Kamelot from FVK? Looks decent, 2 piece wing, flaps, the works. Shipping from FVK is pretty cheap too.

More info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512672
(I was seriously considering it until an irresistible deal for a MiniNyx came along... )
simingx is offline Find More Posts by simingx
Old May 28, 2006, 10:53 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,096 Posts
Yes, it´s really really interesting. Moreover the LHS I usually go works with FVK

At the moment I´m going to repair the MicroFlash, so I have time to see what´s the opinion of the first owners.

Thanks all
Andres
Old May 28, 2006, 05:18 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
1,102 Posts
Hey Andrés,
Stop looking those weak mibo models and buy a serious hotliner. You won't regret!!! And if you are short on cash, then don't stop to look at the raketenwurm1 advance deal on www.strat.at at 299euros, you won't find any plane comparable.
OTOH, just keep repairing the MF. It's worth the damage!
regards,
Chets
chetosmachine is offline Find More Posts by chetosmachine
Old May 28, 2006, 08:34 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetosmachine
Hey Andrés,
Stop looking those weak mibo models and buy a serious hotliner. You won't regret!!! And if you are short on cash, then don't stop to look at the raketenwurm1 advance deal on www.strat.at at 299euros, you won't find any plane comparable.
OTOH, just keep repairing the MF. It's worth the damage!
regards,
Chets
Yes, I agree.

I think IF transportation is no issue, the RW1 is a better choice if price /quality is concerned. At it is truely made for FAI Comp. and I have seen those mibo stuffs in hk slope, so fratigue to be even as a 'hotliner' imho.

And also, besides the 'original' RW2 ( comp. layout=light weight Kelvar fuse, and full carbon uhm spar system, etc+ CUSTOM MADE COLOUR SCHEME, mine is same as another F5F in BLACK with green stripes, his is with yellow stripe, coolest plane I have ever owned.) They also carry a RW2 SPORT VERSION.and a RW2 FULL CARBON, I bought the first and then the other 2 , all with top notch craftmanship. thou the latter 2 version has no opt for colour scheme, but the price is REALLY competitive amongst similar products.(Rainer of strat suggested that the sport version could be handle 10 cells and the all carbon, could take as much as you could squeezed into...16 cells ONLY with 3 sticks of batts in triangular shaped configuration.
I fly the sport as a 7 cell plane,the original as 16 cells ship and the all carbon one is still on the shelf..too many unfinished plane, too little time

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old May 29, 2006, 01:40 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,096 Posts
Chets, nice to see you here

Thanks both, I think you´re right, for the price of the Spirit would be a better purchase. The only concern is the one piece wing. Seems like the Kamelot or RW are the best choices for the price.

But with theese I would finish buying a slope plane too..... too much airframes to buy, too little money

Thanks all for the inputs
Andres