HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2006, 07:16 PM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Those of you who are building or have built SC&H boats, had you considered the HMS Surprise? Why did you chose the other models? Did you eliminate it because of the price, the size, the difficulty of the build, or some other factor?
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2006, 10:33 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
I certainly considered the Surprise. It is even more beautiful than the brig with it's full ship rigging, more cannons, larger size, transom windows, and all. But the brig is small enough to go in the back seat of my car, easier to build, and of course has all the flavor and looks of a square rigger too. The price of the Surprise is very reasonable too, so you pays your money and takes your choice! There was a sister class to the Cruiser Brigs called the Snake class that had an identical hull, but was fully ship rigged. Someone with more experience than I could take the brig kit and with a mimimum of work have the three masts too. Are you listening Philip?
Ray C is offline Find More Posts by Ray C
Last edited by Ray C; Nov 06, 2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 11:27 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 09, 2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 12:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Hoghappy
If I recall correctly, you put a "wash" over the copper paint on the hull to tone it down. Could you post a picture, and more details? I am approaching the copper paint, and would like more tips.
Thanks
Ray C
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:20 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 09, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2006, 09:50 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Thanks HOG. I guess I will go with the metalic copper spray I got from Home Depot and see how it turns out. Nice pictures.
Old Nov 08, 2006, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2006
383 Posts
In response to the ship choice question, I chose the Brig becuz it has the square rig. I have been sailing fore & aft rigs for years (both models and a full size real one) and wanted the square rig experience. I'd like to crew on a full size square rig, but they are a bit rare around here. The price differential for the Surprise is considerable, but I feel is justified. Those lucky individuals that purchased this ship before April 2002 got a real bargain. Size was a concern as far as transport and launching. Besides, I have to agree with Philip and his stated attraction to the brig - After all of my historical reading, fiction & non-fiction, those little brigs were involved in alot of interesting Naval action that the big rated ships couldn't come close to. I have not regretted my choice at all. Don't get the idea that I am not strongly attracted to the Surprise - I think it looks incredible! Maybe if I win the lottery, I'll get one. And the wife wants the Prince.....
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Nov 08, 2006, 05:41 PM
Joined Aug 2006
383 Posts
Advice please.....How did you shape your bulworks (the white pieces) to the curve of the hull? I am trying the "hot water method" in the instructions, but am having trouble getting areas BETWEEN the gunport cutouts to bend without getting too much bend in the gunport areas. Can't use the sunshine method - too cold.
Old Nov 09, 2006, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
Since I got mine with the deck installed, I have no first hand experience fitting the bulworks. Have you tried a couple of heat lamps? Otherwise, how about lots of clamps?

Will be nice to learn all about the early stages of the hull assembly that I missed. Please post your experiences.

I got my yellow ocre stripe painted yesterday. I have an easy method of applying the masking tape, only took an hour or so. Details in my upcoming build post.
Old Nov 09, 2006, 01:37 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 09, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
383 Posts
I couldn't achieve satisfactory uniform bending with the hot water or hair dryer. But what I ended up doing made a huge difference: using a fine hacksaw blade, I cut vertical notches spaced about 3/16" apart in the solid sections between the cutouts on the backside, cutting about half way through the material. This gave me much better flexibility in the solid areas between the gunport cutouts, yielding a much more overall uniform curve. Worked great. Also scribed the front of the bulworks to give the planking effect. That worked really cool, too, because I was able to use the edge of one bulwork to scribe the slightly curved lines on the other and vice versa. Now I am proceeding on with installation of deck support blocks and drilling holes for the rudder shaft, masts, etc.

xsolutionx
Last edited by beneteau3; Mar 03, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:35 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 09, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
370 Posts
I thought one of you might like to know about this copy of "Modelling the brig-of-war Irene: A handbook for the building of historical ship-models" by E. W Petrejus that is for sale on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...890800-7547314

This is a great book about modeling the Cruizer class of brigs. I have used my copy alot to see details about how things should look, and how they are put together. At $138 the price is reasonable for such a rarely available book. Make sure it is the english edition, though. If it doesnt come with the 2 large insert pages of plans, I can get mine copied for you.
Last edited by Ray C; Nov 15, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2006
383 Posts
Hoghappy, hope your new toy is alot of fun, but I hope it doesn't reduce your dedication to the shipyard too much!

Ray, I discovered that book some time ago and acquired it. One of my favorites it is.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
This looks like a useful summary of books:

http://home.att.net/~shipmodelfaq/smf-q103.html
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish