HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
hello i am 12 years old and very interested in these ships.how hard are these ships to build?if i ever could get the money how big are they?and how much does an rc controllercost?
motts is offline Find More Posts by motts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Hello Motts, hi. I have seen you around here before and I am sure you have a few more questions that you would like answered besides this one. Here is a link where you can go and see or buy the model. You can pick what ship your most interested in and see how long and how tall and how much each wieght. These are really nice models. It would probably be a nice kit to build with someone who can be with you a lot. It looks like a lot of things need to be fitted and held in place to dry. Myself I don't think I could build one. I have put a lot of smaller kit togeather but nothing like this. So go check this out http://www.modelsailingships.com/ships/hms.html

Good luck

G
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old May 13, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined May 2007
67 Posts
HMS CALYPSO back on the lake

Hello

Some of you may remember my SC&H brig named HMS CALYPSO. Last year I was too busy to get the model in the water. But the last weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to sail with many friends at the beautiful Degersee in Southern Germany near the Lake Konstanz.
The weather was nice with mild temperatures and generally good wind conditions. Due to the stronger winds on Saturday and the fact that I might have lost some sailing skills I decided to sail without the topsails. Also the Crew had to stay ashore this day. I was totally satisfied how the CALOPSY managed the wind and stayed dry inside the hull. But a few seconds without attention and the ship drove backwards and the rudder was crushed against the harbour wall. This impact broke the plastic servo arm that connected the servo directly to the shaft of the rudder. Of course I had no spare parts with me. Fortunately a colleague could spare one these and I managed to carve it to fit the place. One hour later the brig was back on the lake.
Sunday morning with almost perfect conditions. I made a lot of pictures and also tried to take some video shots.
One of the many highlights this weekend was the frigate HMS BANTERER from Lars and Werner Michler. Their model in scale 1:30 is model shipbuilding in perfection. The rigging follows the original in almost every detail as the rest of the ship as you can see on the pictures. We hope that this model will join the fleet in 2014. Their model of the brig HMS RACEHORSE had to stay at home as the was no place for both models in their car.

Good luck with your builds!
B_Wave is offline Find More Posts by B_Wave
Old May 13, 2013, 03:28 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
FANTASTIC!!! Good to see Calypso on the water again. Sounds like a great weekend!

Thank you B Wave for posting the beautiful photos.
Kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old May 13, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
jolly good show....jolly good fun......thanks for sharing!!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old May 14, 2013, 11:01 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,687 Posts
That Banterer's some complicated piece of work isn't she.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2006
382 Posts
Time to raise this thread to the top of the pile.......Ditchdoc might find some entertainment in it while waiting for his ship to arrive......
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:33 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
What a fantastic model. Magnificent work, I sure hope you won't be reluctant to sail this ship.

AIRBORNE!
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:40 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
5 Year Anniversary

Time passes fast....it has already been five years now since Paratrooper Ray, Beneteau Don and I had our big SC&H fleet sail. That is still the highlight sailing day for me. Don and Ray - I miss you guys...
So, for the 5 year anniversary, I thought I would bump a link to the post with pics of the outing of 11 Oct 2008.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1863

Best wishes to all builders of RC sailing ship models!
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:27 AM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
877 Posts
Dan, what a wonderful surprise. We remember our trip north fondly and there are a few days here and there that I would like to be on the lake but it passes when I remember all the work. I really appreciate the thread and book of memories.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Dan,

I think I speak for many when I say that it was a highlight sailing day for me too! In fact, I just shared the video with a tanking friend in Sweden a few days ago!

I hope Gary and I can have some sailing glory too with Surprise and Scorpion on the water at the same time.

Thanks again to the three of you for this, and many, excellent videos of these rare models.

best
Tim
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
HMS Surprise, new beginnings (4 min 13 sec)

A-W-E-S-O-M-E HMS SURPRISE - Tall Ship on the Open Sea! (5 min 56 sec)

Your spot on Tim. 5 years ago + was when I retired and started thinking about this hobby. Ray, Dan and Don were the white hot arc lights that brought focus to these magnificent models. I knew about SC&H and the kits but never found any action videos from Philp. When searching for more info, these three master modelers started showing up over and over again. Ray I think became King with his epic videos and incredible camera angles he invented by being out with his ship on the water. Almost everyone else were only doing camera shots from standing on shore. Good job bringing this forum back to the top.

Tim, I may have found a long lake ( about 5 miles ) that will welome us. I'll be open to whatever you find. When we sail I'll do my best to capture video for the both of us to use for making movies. Its exspected at this point.

Shamelessly I've added my link to my video last year but I also want to share this real video of HMS Surprise that shows how close Rays videos come to looking like the real thing. A big shout out to Rays ability to sail Surprise, keeping track of winds while running his bass boat, operating a radio doing real maneuvers, while running a camera. Now add keeping his mind on being creative and linking all this into a story. If you have not tried this then maybe you don't know how clever this really is. Juggling running chain saws may look easy but a wise man might want to start with sticks. ;-)

I am happy to read that the builds are starting again and helping to make the upcoming winter a bit shorter.

Gentlemen thanks for all you have done.

Gary

Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
oh so nice!!!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:20 AM
Herblay (France)
Joined Oct 2007
27 Posts
Brig 025 still on going

Hello all.
I'm still here with my brig 025 on going. Only a few hours per month to built a model means delay. Anyway it's a hobby and we're not in a hurry.

A few pics of my brig. I'm doing the rigging and I'm making the ropes with a little machine with linen.

Then I will do the caronades, based on the french model. See picture of a caronade onboard a replica of the cutter "le renard" (the fox), last "corsaire boat" of Surcouf in 1806. A sailing replica is visible (and you can sail with her) in Saint Malo - France. I sailed 2 days last year with her and we went from Saint Malo to Jersey. Winter weather in June but nice trip.

Best regards.
Pierre

PS : on the Hermione site, information are given about the Hermoine trip to the eastern coast of the USA in spring - summer 2015... if she will be near by you, don't hesitate to visit her... http://www.hermione.com/voyage/les-etapes/
pipec is offline Find More Posts by pipec
Old Feb 15, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hello Pierre,

Happy to see another brig project on the forum! I like your rope maker. : )

It would be amazing to see Hermione come to our shores. Hope that happens.

Keep up the great work.

kindest regards
Tim