Old May 21, 2006, 12:35 PM
wls
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Feb 2006
82 Posts
Discussion
My First F15 Scratch Build

Well just finished my First F15, with alot of help from my Buddie Jurgen,
It has come out awesome. Just need some advise on the canopy if anyone can advise.

Here is a link to the video we made of my Frienbds first maiden flight aswell
A really big thanks to all the info i have seen on this site.
Im now officially addicted
http://www.rcuniverse.com/mvp/videolink.cfm?postid=1957

its a 20 meg video let me know what you think.
wls is offline Find More Posts by wls
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2006, 01:19 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,763 Posts
wls- welcome to rcgroups! nice finish on your jet. is it a true scratch build? or a plans-build? it looks like a jetset44 design. if it is a scratch build, are you gonna release some plans?
-beanie
beanie is online now Find More Posts by beanie
Old May 21, 2006, 06:46 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,003 Posts
Looks good WLS
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old May 21, 2006, 08:38 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Nice job, me like it...
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old May 22, 2006, 01:41 AM
wls
Joined Feb 2006
82 Posts
When i say scratch build i mean i got the plans from parkjets, but built it from scratch myself
im pretty chuffed, ill try fly it this week.

Still not 100% sure what to do with the canopy though.
any suggestions?
Old May 22, 2006, 02:11 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
wis,

Hey man, it looks GREAT! Great job, the jet really looks the part! I like the tiger teeth on the fron of the nose too, it gives the jet a very intimidating look! Great choice on the dark silver color, I bet it'll look great in the air!

As far as the canopy, since you asked, I guess there are a couple of options that you could take. The first one is a little easier that the second, but anyway, option one is that you cold contact the people that are now selling clear canopies and pilots specifically designed for each of Steve Shumate's original sized parkjets (the F-15, the T-38, and the F-18). I think price is something like 11 bux, and you get a clear canopy and a little scale jet pilot for that price (I think the pilot comes unpainted). It seems like a pretty good deal, considering the time it takes to make a clear canopy yourself, which brings me to the next option. Have you already cut out and formed the F-15's foam canopy? If so, then this would also be a feasible option, but in terms of ease, if you haven't already made the foam canopy from the plans option #! might be easier and less time consuming. However, option #2 is that you could use J Morgan's fabulous clear canopy thread to make your own clear canopy, it's a really neat method and the steps taken after forming the canopy mold out of foam are really easy and seem like a lot of fun. I think the thread should be a few pages into the electric pusher-jet forum, it should be pretty easy to find, I'll try and post a link for you after I find it. Basically the way it works is that you make the original canopy mold out of foam, then you cover it in auto-bondo cream and sand until smooth. After that, I'm pretty sure you just make a vac-forming box out of wood, put the canopy on the tray, secure a thin sheet of plastic onto the tray over the canopy, and put the box into an oven to let it vac-form. After it's ready, you take it out and cut the canopy out of the plastic, and presto, there's a clear canopy for your new model! It's a really neat method, and I'm glad that J Morgan shared it with us. He's an amazing builder and finishing artist and he also does a lot of cockpit detailing that's really something to behold.

Anyhow, here;s the link to that thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489215

I hope you have a great time with your new jet! I can't wait to hear about how it flies, please give us a flight report after the maiden, I'm sure it is going to fly great!

By the way, what's your power set-up going to be on this little jet?

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old May 22, 2006, 03:40 AM
wls
Joined Feb 2006
82 Posts
Thanks for the responce i will make the canopy, as i live in Sunny South Africa (which is curently -3 degrees c lol) it takes ages for post to arrive.
As far as the setup goes for the power i used an AXI 2212-20 with a 8x6 prop.
hope its powerfull enough. the other problem we have here in Johannesburg is the fact we are 1500 metres above sea level so the air is very thin.
any suggestions on Speed controllers and motors would be of great value because im now addicted.
how do i donate to Steve because this has me covered for the next year (ill just be working and building planes ha ha)
Old May 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Wls,

Hey man, sounds like you are really enjoying this parkjet thing! As far as donating to him is concerned, I think his paypal address is located in the F-15 page at Parkjets.com.

That sounds like a nice set-up! As far as speed controllers go, there's a 60 amp esc for $60 (USD) that is available at www.warbirds-rc.com

There are also so moderately priced speed controllers at www.bphobbies.com

however, I don't know much about the quality of the bp speed controllers. I would imagine, though, that they are fine and will do the job nicely. They are pretty cheap too, which is an added plus. The thing is though, if you really want top quality, then you could go with something like the Castle Creations Pheonix 25 or higher, or something like the Hyperion Titan 20 or Titan 30 speed controllers. Those are all a bit more expensive, but I'm sure they are also very good quality.

Also, for motors that work well with these parkjets, some of the most commonly used ones (I think) are the Little Screamer's Parkjet Special motor, Himax 2015 series (usually a 2015-4100 or 2015-5400), AXI 2212-26, or an E-flite Park 370 brushless. There are others out there that will work nicely too, Tyhpoon makes a very small motor that would work well in this application (I think it's called the Typhoon 6/20 if I'm not mistaken. It's also available at www.warbirds-rc.com ) I am actually planning to use a little bit larger motor than is actually recommended for these parkjets since the only pack I have is a 3S 2100 pack, so I'm going with the Typhoon 15/10 for my F-15 (possibly, but first I'm going to fly it around on a brushed set-up for a while to see what it flies like). With the 2100 pack and 15/10 motor, my jet will be a little bit faster and heavier than most, but I'm hoping it'll at least still be fun, I am sure it'll go vertical like nobody's business with that Typhoon on there!

Have fun, and happy flying!

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old May 27, 2006, 11:42 AM
wls
Joined Feb 2006
82 Posts
Well i flew for the first time today, it was awesome.
I used an Axi 2212-20 What is the difference to the 2212-26?

I used a 1000MAH pack and it flew amazingly
im still walking around with a Buzz, im very chuffed, ill take video tomorrow.