SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2006, 01:19 PM
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Dec 2003
40 Posts
Discussion
GreatPlanes Fling 2M wing on slowstick questions

Hi.

I am looking for input on using the GreatPlanes Fling 2M wing on a slowstick for ap.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXLVZ3

I expect it to be a thin wing and possibly a narrower chord

78" wingspan and 495 sq inches
ki4aoa is offline Find More Posts by ki4aoa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
You'll be putting a lily on a sow's ear.
It will work, but............euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 21, 2006, 01:54 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
You'll be putting a lily on a sow's ear.
It will work, but............euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

But, yeah, it'd be hard to behold any beauty in it... Depends on how self-conscious you are... So many people around here don't like to even fly anything with other people around because they think they'll be ridiculed for flying a "toy" airplane...

Anyways - I put a 72" Playboy wing on a standard SS one time... Climbed like a banshee with no change in power equipment... But, it was very short coupled and directionally unstable... I would suggest that you would consider lengthening the fuselage with another section of SS aluminum tube cut down to suit and increase the tail feather's area as well... There's several "expando" Slow Sticks done on this group that have worked quite well... Put in "Watt Stick" in the search box and you'll see mine... To me, you can't beat the versatility of a simple aluminum square tube for hanging just about anything you want from it - as long as you're not the type that worries what others think of you...

Kevin
wattnoise is online now Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old May 22, 2006, 12:37 AM
Joined Dec 2003
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnoise
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

But, yeah, it'd be hard to behold any beauty in it... Depends on how self-conscious you are... So many people around here don't like to even fly anything with other people around because they think they'll be ridiculed for flying a "toy" airplane...

Anyways - I put a 72" Playboy wing on a standard SS one time... Climbed like a banshee with no change in power equipment... But, it was very short coupled and directionally unstable... I would suggest that you would consider lengthening the fuselage with another section of SS aluminum tube cut down to suit and increase the tail feather's area as well... There's several "expando" Slow Sticks done on this group that have worked quite well... Put in "Watt Stick" in the search box and you'll see mine... To me, you can't beat the versatility of a simple aluminum square tube for hanging just about anything you want from it - as long as you're not the type that worries what others think of you...

Kevin
Well, I don't worry about what others think. I know that my planes aren't beautiful -- they get he job done. The thought of increasing the length has already crossed my mind. Thanks for the tips. I guess I as looking for an answer like "that is a crazy idea, it just is wrong, and this is why" or a "it will work great, and this is why." Then again why is it that people try diffrent wings on a ss?

Marlin
Old May 22, 2006, 03:03 AM
by Alary Design
Mesa, AZ
Joined May 2002
1,813 Posts
I put a 72" spirit wing on my SS. Had great lifting ability and turning was no problem with the stock rudder and throws. Was fun too cause it will thermal very well. I could power it up to altitude and then thermal it for as long as I wanted, then punch out of the thermal and go find another.
Photoship One is offline Find More Posts by Photoship One
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2006, 04:46 AM
Europe
Joined Nov 2004
76 Posts
Just maidened my Slow Stick 10 minutes ago with a Gentle Lady wing...it works fantastic! No need to increase rudder in fact my elevator throw is too large...way too sensitive. I lengthened the fuselage only a bit.
I have an AXI 2212/34 installed: take off at 30-40% power and maintain altitude with 20% WITHOUT camera. At 100% I can get almost verticals.
Though the wing is big and the rest small it is pretty agile and handles well in windy condistions.
GO for it!
Cheeerrrrs
nils
ATPguy is offline Find More Posts by ATPguy
Old May 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,734 Posts
a nice idea could be a spirit elite wing on a SS. the wing is $60 with 645sq/in. also has ailerons/flaps and so some crow could be programmed to help on landings. what do you guys tihnk?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZP1&P=7
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old May 28, 2006, 09:24 PM
Charlotte North Carolina
Joined Mar 2003
147 Posts
I have been trying to get my Magpie wing to work on my SS. I lengthened the boom and made the rudder 1.5 times larger. It turns okay but I would perfer a little more response.
plane_pilot is offline Find More Posts by plane_pilot
Old Jun 02, 2006, 01:38 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
It would neither do justice to the well proven Slow stick or the Fling 2m, which are both very different aircraft. Just think of it as putting a Boeing 737 wing on a J-3 Cub fuselage. - Apples and Oranges. Think in practical terms.
John O'Sullivan
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Jun 02, 2006, 09:14 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
All I fly now is 72" Piece of cake wing and when its windy a 78" spirit wing on my slowstick. Like Watt said, you can't beat that fuselage system for hanging stuff on! Never had an issue with stability or control. I lengthened my fuse just a little to get the cg right. As far as surface area of the horisontal and vertical stablizers.... the slow stick surfaces are larger then the piece of cake and the 2m spirit. I have passed the 15,000 picture mark on the 2 nikon 3700's I own...... just a guess that I have flown this combination over 100 times. I love it. You cant beat the float and lift of these wings.
john
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old Jun 03, 2006, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2003
40 Posts
ok,

I don't expect to have the same flying characteristics as the stock wing. I guess it is easier in my mind to mount things on the slowstick fuse than try to attach things to the fling fuse.

Oh cool I'll have an Boeing 737 ap plane!