HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2002, 08:06 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,097 Posts
Best Micro heli for 3D???

Hey guys!

While Im waiting for a replacement ESC for my Logo 10, and my Voyagers are down for a bit, I was thinking about getting myself a micro heli again - something with collective pitch and the ability to do 3D!

A few years back I had 2 Piccolos when they first came out. A ton of fun until the day I just got plain bored with fixed pitch. Sold my Piccolos and converted LMHs and stuck to my larger ECO 8s and Voyager Es...

These days I see more and more talk about the collective versions of the Hornet and Piccolo. I see the Hornet simply offers an upgrade to the existing kit, but Ikarus offers a "Pro Piccolo" which is something entirely different from the base Piccolo model.

Which of these helis is better for small heli 3D? What motor does one use - small Hacker brushless, stock motor, etc, etc? I have all the micro gear I need from gyros to ESCs to servos and battery packs (Mainly 7 and 8 cell 700 mah NiMH AAA packs) so I just need a heli to put it all in

Im sure there are other choices out there than just the Piccolo Pro and Hornet with the collective upgrade. Which one truly is the best?

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2002, 08:20 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,213 Posts
Hello Jason

I only have a homade CP Piccolo, but I can tell you that is you want really solid preformance(the tail is very important in this case) go with the Hornet.

The Pro is nothing more that a Larger Piccolo(woop de do--just my opinion) but with the CP included. The Speed 400 motor for it is cool, but you would go brushless anyways and the tail is still electric(it works but the "conventional" is better in your case especially out doors. You can only make you electric tail sooo good(Im pretty sure I have mine as solid as it will get with a GY240). Its good but I know the Hornet tail would be better because you get instant control in both directions. Now dont get me wrong, Im sure the Pro is a preformer and I have seen footage that proves that. Also Steve, at Dream Hobbies, has some fottage of him flying the piss out of an Orion powered CP Piccolo.

What ever you get, put a nice brushless in it

I know you will get a lot of suggestions to use the B20-22S but I have seen someone using a B20-15L(muuu ha ha ha). If it was I that need a motor for the Hornet, I think I would go the Big Block routel; Im just crazy like that

Here is a debate/discussion on which motor is best for the Hornet.

http://www.hornet-heli.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002608.html

Oh, and there are soo many mods tha you can add but Ill let others with actual experence go from here.

Here is my CP Piccolo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...&postid=392536

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Last edited by Eco8gator; Jul 16, 2002 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
CP Hornet + hacker with lightened paddles should make for interesting 3D...I know what a 3D machine feels like (my raptor, shuttle RG and logo 10) and the Hornet CP comes really close.

Now to get out and attempt some 3D with them
Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Crasher
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:14 AM
Former bpp dude
Joined Oct 2001
1,025 Posts
Thats the goal I am shooting for, a 3D Micro Heli . I tried the Hornet CP with the Brushless Hacker 22S, nice but no way in hell can you do 3D with it. Most guys who use that motor put the flat bottom blades on it so it will perform better. Can't do true 3D moves with flat bottoms. With the Hacker 15L & 10 cells however I think its possible. It climbs like a rocket now even with the sym. blades and with head speed at 2500+rpm @ 80% throttle this little bad boy is mean! Its a bit heavy at 340+ grams but makes enough lift to pick up another hornet strapped to it! I have only had the hornet about two weeks now so I want to get a bit more used to her before I attempt my first true 3D move. When I do though I will have the video camera there
ls77 is offline Find More Posts by ls77
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:26 AM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ls77
Thats the goal I am shooting for, a 3D Micro Heli . I tried the Hornet CP with the Brushless Hacker 22S, nice but no way in hell can you do 3D with it. Most guys who use that motor put the flat bottom blades on it so it will perform better. Can't do true 3D moves with flat bottoms. With the Hacker 15L & 10 cells however I think its possible. It climbs like a rocket now even with the sym. blades and with head speed at 2500+rpm @ 80% throttle this little bad boy is mean! Its a bit heavy at 340+ grams but makes enough lift to pick up another hornet strapped to it! I have only had the hornet about two weeks now so I want to get a bit more used to her before I attempt my first true 3D move. When I do though I will have the video camera there

I love your attittude. I'm tired of these old-men working so slow and not actually flying these helicopters! under powered steaming piles of cow dung.

Btw, where did you get the motor? how many amps are you pulling? which esc? I'd like to see some pictures.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 02:32 AM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
I'm gonna go with the same setup...

Oh yeah, how many amps does the 15L pull?
Old Jul 17, 2002, 04:51 AM
jk
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,281 Posts
i see nothing wrong with experimentation, but a hacker B20-22s powered hornet that's set up properly will do 3D easily, with syms or flats. and if you use the new Ikarus 1000mah battery (20+ grams lighter than an 8 cell nimh) pack, it really screams.

when you build a Hornet that weighs that much and throw it into a hard turn, it'll just keep going no matter what headspeed you're running-but i'll let you guys find that out for yourselves. vertical /hovering/lifting power is one thing and handling/response is another thing altogether.
jk is offline Find More Posts by jk
Last edited by jk; Jul 17, 2002 at 04:54 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 07:43 AM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jk
i see nothing wrong with experimentation, but a hacker B20-22s powered hornet that's set up properly will do 3D easily, with syms or flats. and if you use the new Ikarus 1000mah battery (20+ grams lighter than an 8 cell nimh) pack, it really screams.

when you build a Hornet that weighs that much and throw it into a hard turn, it'll just keep going no matter what headspeed you're running-but i'll let you guys find that out for yourselves. vertical /hovering/lifting power is one thing and handling/response is another thing altogether.

Mine has the power to do all the things Walt does but not like any of my larger machines (logo).
d

I'll find out I guess...
Old Jul 17, 2002, 08:30 AM
Das Universus Elektrikus
NM, USA
Joined Mar 2002
3,309 Posts
I just got my Model Motors 1215/16 in, and if Fitz gets me my Shulze 18 HE pretty quick (they sure disappeared off the website fast after he got home) should have some results this weekend. I've had it with trying to fly this thing with the Speed 300. I have the 3 flight modes set up so that I have increasing throttle curves/static pitch curves, in an effort to keep the thing flying through a whole pack. Not fun! I have to look into the new Ikarus packs. Any US distributors yet?
I have to agree with the "Old Men" statement and I may fit the description, at least I'm getting old fast.

Albig
Albig is offline Find More Posts by Albig
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:01 AM
Former bpp dude
Joined Oct 2001
1,025 Posts
Jk, I admit I have yet to pull any real hard moves in it yet or even touch the power that it has. And you may very well be right that the extra weight will make it feel like a "boat" But in Toms Video with the HB motor and body Kit you can see that his Heli screams and had no problem handling, a very powerful Hornet. His heli was also over 340 grams in weight, almost the same as mine. I think the B20-15L & 10 cells is a great combo but it does need more testing so I have been pretty quite about it. The biggest drawback I think it will have is the High head speed=much more damage in crashes & the increased amp draw from the little aaa cells will shorten their life but then again I could just dail down the throttle to 45-55% to drop the head speed and have it perform like stock. The 15L is approx. 16grams heavier than the B22s and a 10cell PoweEx Pack adds another 17 grams over a Sanyo 8 cell. So for around 33 grams of weight gain, you almost double the power of the Hornet. I think the extra power will more than make up for the extra weight in fast maneuvers. The cyclic response and stability has also improved with the high head speed. Its like anything though, it has its place. The B22s is a good combo, the 15L+ 10 cells is just the next level for those who can sacrifice some run time and accept the fact that if they crash hard, they will be buying another CP kit, not just a few parts. (I already bought mine cause I know I am gonna crash with stupid tricks I want to try.

Crasher, I looked all over the web trying to find the 15L, but nobody had any in stock. So I drove to Aero-Model down the street and bought it direct form the main U.S. Distributor. The 15L will pull everything the Sanyos & PowerEx cells can give up. It will pull close to 8amps at 11 degrees pitch and 100% throttle. With PowerEx cells it jumps up to a about 8.5. If you lower the throttle setting to have a head speed of approx 2000-2100 rpm, the current it pulls is roughly .25-.75 amp more than the B22s depending on Pitch. If we had better cells, the 15L would have no problems pulling over 12amps at 10 degrees and 100%. But 10 600ae cells are just a bit heavy for the Hornet
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
Ok thanks Troy! btw, where can I get the video with "Tom" flying the Hornet?
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:54 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
http://mitglied.lycos.de/skyfox2222/...m/Halle001.mpg
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:10 PM
Former bpp dude
Joined Oct 2001
1,025 Posts
Check out the parent directory http://mitglied.lycos.de/skyfox2222/Videoalbum/

Some Interesting Videos in there
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:40 PM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
This one is running on 10 cells?
Old Jul 17, 2002, 01:05 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,604 Posts
Albig,

I just ordered one of those for my Hornet too. I'm waiting for the Phoenix10 though... Backordered as well, Hrmph...
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete