SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Aug 2005
348 Posts
Discussion
Balancing the Corona Blades

Aside from just using the methods of balancing the blades presented in the Corona manual how effective is this balancer.....The KSJ528 - Universal Blade Balancer...sold at fxaeromodels? Or is the jewelers gram scale and balancing on an edge a better method of balancing?
ufoman is online now Find More Posts by ufoman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2006, 04:33 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
I don't think the blade balancers are very good for these light of blades.

I've been using a .01 gram scale, and just making them match, and having no troubles.

Probably overkill too. .1 gram may be sufficient.
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old May 20, 2006, 04:53 PM
Chappaqua, N.Y.
Joined May 2004
260 Posts
If the spindles are 3mm diameter the 120 blades won't fit. Even if they did fit you would need to place the blades vertically. You could drill out an extra set of blade grips to fit over spindle, then attache grips to blades. I've done it on a similar balancer, but these types of balancers don't seem to have a good repeatability.
chappabob is offline Find More Posts by chappabob
Old May 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,991 Posts
I think weighing them is extremely important. Bought a small scale for that purpose. I have found some to be very close and others had to be cut a good bit.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old May 20, 2006, 05:13 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
I agree with what's been said. The KSJ requires some tweaking to rig up for the Corona blades. Bottom line is, a precision scale is more universal and versatile. You can use it to ballance _any_ type of rotor blade including the tail blades. Not to mention anything else you ever need to balance.

I don't think .01g is overkill. It's definately a necessity for tail blades.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old May 20, 2006, 05:42 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
I use the KSJ-528 to find the CG of my Corona blades, but the blades don't fit the blade posts of the holder, so I use a scale to match the blade weight.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old May 20, 2006, 05:45 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
How close is close enough on blade CG, for this size? 2-3mm error going to matter? 5mm?
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old May 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
United States, KS, Newton
Joined Aug 2005
348 Posts
On the tail blade balancing...it seems like a lot of work to take apart the tail blades, pulling the pins out etc. Or can a person do the balancing with the tail blades in place? I suspect a lot of people just wing it. My other question is how often are these tail rotor blades replaced? I only hear about people cutting off the tips on the main blades and balancing them after a crash but not much about the tail blades.
ufoman is online now Find More Posts by ufoman