HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2006, 09:22 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Discussion
Why isn't there more vids of forward flight?

Before I purchaes my Lama2, I watched a ton of videos. Almost all of them were of the lama either hovering, or slowly puttering around someones living room. After just learning forward flight on it, I'm surprised at how fast it can go, and how well it (mine) does forward flight. Why isn't this mentioned more, or video'd more?

Jive
jive is offline Find More Posts by jive
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2006, 11:39 PM
United States, NY, Lake Grove
Joined Mar 2006
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive
Before I purchaes my Lama2, I watched a ton of videos. Almost all of them were of the lama either hovering, or slowly puttering around someones living room. After just learning forward flight on it, I'm surprised at how fast it can go, and how well it (mine) does forward flight. Why isn't this mentioned more, or video'd more?

Jive
My guess would be most people just dont have the room indoors to get these little boogers up to FFF speeds they are capable of. Even then they are not that fast. I know when I fly mine in FFF i am much more likely to have blade clashes, stalls, etc. .. you know things that would never happen if I were flying in the confined space of my living room.

Maybe everyone is cautious??? I wish I could vid some of the flying we do at hangar at work .... the BCX is like a little mosiquito buzzing around when modded!
NuNuJet is offline Find More Posts by NuNuJet
Old May 20, 2006, 07:57 AM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
I actually had my first blade stall yesterday. and it fell from about 15 ft. up. Good thing I hadn't mowed my lawn in awhile. no damage! I guess I need look into some mods. I'm curious as to how much better your BCX does compared to stock?

Yeah they're not that fast, but they do move much better than the videos show.

Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuNuJet
My guess would be most people just dont have the room indoors to get these little boogers up to FFF speeds they are capable of. Even then they are not that fast. I know when I fly mine in FFF i am much more likely to have blade clashes, stalls, etc. .. you know things that would never happen if I were flying in the confined space of my living room.

Maybe everyone is cautious??? I wish I could vid some of the flying we do at hangar at work .... the BCX is like a little mosiquito buzzing around when modded!
Old May 21, 2006, 10:08 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,341 Posts
you guys must be new to the forums,as there are lots of videos of bcx,lama2 doing just that...i have 2 or 3,1 modified as a bat copter complete with the batwings,flying through out my house...go back to november,december time threads and enjoy....
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2006, 07:42 PM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
This is a video I made back in the winter outside. Had the camera stationary though.
http://media.putfile.com/lama3

Click on 640 in the view size just under the video window for a correct size. I like my Lama but its been collecting dust so I may be getting rid of it.
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old May 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Very cool video. I guess I was looking more at the company website videos.

Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Ford
This is a video I made back in the winter outside. Had the camera stationary though.
http://media.putfile.com/lama3

Click on 640 in the view size just under the video window for a correct size. I like my Lama but its been collecting dust so I may be getting rid of it.
Old May 21, 2006, 08:12 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
I'll do that. I've read through most of the Lama2 tips postings, but man, it's up to 39 pages now! It would be nice if it could be organized a bit more. I'm thinking of doing some mods to help FFF a bit, but I hate to wade through all the pages to dig up the info.

Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
you guys must be new to the forums,as there are lots of videos of bcx,lama2 doing just that...i have 2 or 3,1 modified as a bat copter complete with the batwings,flying through out my house...go back to november,december time threads and enjoy....
Old May 21, 2006, 08:39 PM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=27
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Old May 22, 2006, 12:04 AM
drops screws
Iowa City, IA
Joined Dec 2005
1,178 Posts
Whenever I take mine outside I just get super frustrated. It's easy enough to get the thing moving fast enough, but it just does not have the power to overcome its inertia. Soon enough the flybar pops off or my blades will strike each other and smash! I love my Lama, just only for flying like a crazy man in my house. I bought a CP2 about a month ago and that's my outside heli (which I love also, btw)
billyzelsnack is offline Find More Posts by billyzelsnack
Old May 22, 2006, 01:46 PM
To invent is nothing... But to fly is everything.
Joined Mar 2006
454 Posts
For me when I go too fast with my Lama it just stops flying and plummets!!
SlowAero is offline Find More Posts by SlowAero
Old May 22, 2006, 07:49 PM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
You mean the motors quit?

Well I sold my Lama to a friend a hour ago, so I will continue with the T-Rex and buy a QJ8 and if it works out I might sell the Rex.

I have found that every time I move up in size, its easier to learn on. Enjoyed the Lama but it was collecting dust like this mini-t is now.
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old May 22, 2006, 08:13 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Now THAT is forward flight!!!!

What mods, if any, did you do to the BCX?

Jive

Old May 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive

What mods, if any, did you do to the BCX?

Jive
Thanks Jive

You're in for a long read if you haven't seen this thread yet

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454677

There's a lot of good Mod stuff in there too.

Here's another link you should check out

http://www.dacaur.com/bladecxhelp.html

enjoy
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Old May 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
To invent is nothing... But to fly is everything.
Joined Mar 2006
454 Posts
34Ford, No the motors run fine - it looks like it quits generating lift, stops flying and falls.

SA
SlowAero is offline Find More Posts by SlowAero
Old May 24, 2006, 11:41 PM
Geek Stallion
USA, WV, Beckley
Joined Mar 2006
383 Posts
Checked out the links, and read through most of it. I'm guessing most of the mods for the BCX can be applied to the Lama as well.

One problem I seem to be having, is the flybar hitting the top blade. Not during fast forward flight, but usually after I make a fairly quick pass. Twice, when I have released the cyclic after the pass to slow down, then hit the rudder to bring the tail around, I've had hits. Very bad things soon follow. Luckily, I've only broken the tail, which was an easy CA fix. Does the shorter flybar mod help in this respect? I just can't see my Lama doing the FFF I have seen in the BCX vids, and surviving.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Jive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vw
Thanks Jive

You're in for a long read if you haven't seen this thread yet

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454677

There's a lot of good Mod stuff in there too.

Here's another link you should check out

http://www.dacaur.com/bladecxhelp.html

enjoy