HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:41 AM
Syracuse, New York
Joined Jan 2002
47 Posts
New F4u1 Sold By Hobby Lobby

I just saw the new F4U1 advertised on Hobby Lobby's website. Has anyone built and flown this yet? It says it is actually a free flight model. The F4U are my favorite warplane but I do not want to spend the money if it not a good flyer, especially for the outside.
SCOTT LINDSAY is offline Find More Posts by SCOTT LINDSAY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:10 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
i have one of these. they're the Flying Styro rubber band kits. i picked one up at the AMA convention last year. i still haven't built it, but i will someday. it's a beautiful kit. the painting is very nice, and a ton of nice scale details are included. converting it to RC should be pretty easy. i was planning on running an M100 on 8 300mah NiMHs. three servos will control ailerons and elevator. my only concern is that the wingloading may get too high with that setup. if you want more of a slowflyer, one of the GWS IPS motors would probably be ideal, and go with rudder - elevator only.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:31 AM
Syracuse, New York
Joined Jan 2002
47 Posts
According to Hobby Lobby they recommend the rudder_elevator mode. I might wait until someone comes out with a kit or arf that is built for eletric flight just like the ones sold in Tower Hobbies for gas power flight. In my opinion the F4U should be a very manuverable plane so it should have aileron control also.
SCOTT LINDSAY is offline Find More Posts by SCOTT LINDSAY
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:18 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Scott
The F4U really does not need the ailerons on this small plane. It will do a nice roll with just rudder. We will have some web clips up shortly showing the flight of this plane.

If you do a search, there have been numerous threads from people who have had great luck converting this plane to RC. It looks sweet in the air and flies well.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:37 PM
Boone, Iowa, United States
Joined Feb 2002
301 Posts
video

here is a link for a video of the corsair flying and doing a roll with rudder only, as well as loop. The plane looks awesome

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/FSK...orsairCombo.rm
denverone is offline Find More Posts by denverone
Old Jul 17, 2002, 09:15 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
nice! looking forward to building mine even more now
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:46 PM
S. Calif
Joined Mar 2000
1,409 Posts
I have been flying the Flying Styro F4U Corsair for about 1 year now. Flys great on 3 channels (rudder, elevator, motor) using a GWS IPS A and 7x110 mah Nicads. Very pleasant and realistic little flyer. Only problem is, like the real ones, if you let your airspeed bleed off, it will tip stall on you. Keep the airspeed up and its a delight to fly. As the battery starts to wear down, keep the nose down and land.
Gerry
Gerry Markgraf is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Old Jul 18, 2002, 12:36 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Nice video! From the sounds of it, it was rather windy, but that little corsair seemed to handle it nicely. Any guess on the winds that day?
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:31 AM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Well I did the videoing that day. My best guess would be that the winds were 7-10, maybe a little more.

The little model handled them amazingly well.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Jul 18, 2002, 11:42 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Would this plane handle any kind of landing gear?

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jul 18, 2002, 01:06 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,792 Posts
the kit comes with scale plastic landing gear. i believe the wheels do rotate, so you could use them. wire gear might be lighter though.