Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:44 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer
Boss 248
There is no easier build than a swift, I built mine in one eve.

With the right motor the swift II is fast, I use a 2212-6T 2200kv with a 5x5 or 6x4 prop at about 26A
I hope it's easier than the speed wing 400...way to much work for what it cost. I may just order a Swift II because I miss my wing
I have an Astro .020 direct drive tuening a 5x5 that made that 18 oz. wing cook buns so I may see if that will fit, if not I have others that will work.

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:17 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Does your ESC not have a feature to cut the motor or reduce the power when the battery gets low ?
No idea, it didn't come with instructions, and it doesn't even have a manufacturer or part number printed on it.

Quote:
Have you tried just adding some washers to the top of the motor mount to change the thrust angle?
Not yet, I may do that if my elevator/throttle mix doesn't work as advertised - I'm a sucker for software solutions.

Quote:
Hey Guys, How does the Maxi handle the wind?
Hopefully xairflyer will answer that for us, I haven't tried it in the wind yet.
I suspect the weight will help, but I can't help thinking with all that lift and the large surfaces, that it will be a handfull in the wind.

Cluck Cluck - Nobody here, but us chickens
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 26, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:24 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Diggs I just thought of something.
I know from your podcast that your a nightflyer, I discovered something last night that suprised me.
Did you know that epoxy glows yellow under UV light ???

Some of my planes are 99% epoxy (with all the dodgy repairs), I could just stick some UV LEDs on them and have an instant nightflyer.

I'm not really serious, I was just surprised to see it glowing so well under UV.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
lol, cool to know!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:52 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,027 Posts
Yes the max is great in the wind with its size and weight, It along with my 3D pragster are my windy day flyers !
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:48 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouser Snake
No idea, it didn't come with instructions, and it doesn't even have a manufacturer or part number printed on it.
[/I]
Really needs to be set for lipo batteries, the people you bought it from should know what it is and you should get some programming details online
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:17 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks, your right of course.
Sometimes I'm in too much of a hurry to fly.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Snake, I just got my Futaba 7C mix programmed for negative elevator slaved to channel 3 motor speed master. Inorder to make it work correctly, I had to do two seperate mixes. ch. 3 (motor speed) master to ch. 1 slave and ch. 3 master to ch. 2 slave. In my case, ch. 1 slave had to be a negative mix and ch. 2 ended up a positive mix. I as yet don't have the % of mix pinned down, but I'm headed in the right direction. I have been following this thread as I think I might want a Maxi down the road. I'm doing the mixing on a Swift II and hope the above info might help. My instructions do not cover doing this mix with elevons. So, it was a lot of trial and error before I got it right. Good luck. Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:34 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Snake, I just got back from the field and got her trimmed for perfectly straight flight at all throttle settings including glide. I ended up with a mix of 12%. I have a few degrees of reflex dialed in to max out the glide and help with stability. I don't know if what I found on the Swift II will have any relationship to what you end up with on the Maxi. Good luck! Don
Last edited by Don Chaffin; Aug 27, 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks Don, I appreciate all the help I can get.

I just got back from 4 hours at the field (that's the problem with floaty planes).
I think I may have to give up on the elevator/throttle mixing idea.
Reason is, although it did work when I was either at full throttle or nil throttle, any quick transitions between the two positions was.....not good.

At the end of my first fast pass, I shut the throttle off and it nosed up at 45 degrees as the elevons dropped back to their neutral position.
Additionally, when I transition from a glide to full power, there really is a lag. The nose will dip before the power comes on, then it will level out.
It wasn't a problem today, as I had lots of altitude, and I'm sure I could get use to it, but I can see it catching me out one day, and I don't really want to learn to fly that way.

Don how did your Swift II handle quick throttle transitions ?

If yours had the same issues, I may need to try some down thrust on the motor instead.

I spoke too soon about those Hawks, today they had no fear of the Maxi. At one stage I was attempting to thermal with about 10 of them, they got a bit territorial and put a few holes in the nose.
I was told by one of the guys at the field that if you power up and do some aggressive moves, they would leave you alone. I tried that later with the Swift II (I had no more charged batteries for the Maxi), well, I could have swore I heard those Hawks laughing at me...I've come to the conclusion that the sky belongs to them, and I should be gratefull that they let me use their airspace.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 28, 2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:44 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Damn this hobby.

I just ordered another Maxi.

Now I've gotta think about what I've learnt from the first build, and incorporate those ideas in this build.

The motor is definately going to be further forward, so I'll have to cut the back end flat to fit the prop arc. This will mean less dead weight needed to balance it, and an overall much lighter plane.

Wouldn't mind a smaller and lighter motor, but I've already got another Emax 2810 ready to go...I'll think about it some more.

A few degrees of down thrust put in right from the start.

Better quality servos, the servos are the only thing I can hear when it glides past at low level.(Edit: what a stupid thing to say, obviously they're the only things I can hear - what I meant was, they are really loud).

No battery level indicator.

Another steel rod for the nose

Stiffen up the control surfaces with unobtanium.

Smaller ESC (30A or 40 A)

Any other suggestions ?

Edit: I just realised that I now own the exact Maxi and Swift II pictured in post #1 of this thread.
Spooky yes ?
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 28, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 02:03 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Sorry guys, I really don't mean to hog this thread, but I need opinions.

I just thought of something, and I need to know if I'm wasting my time.
My motor has a threaded drive shaft, what if I connect an extension shaft to it and run it through a bearing fitted to the standard motor mount then to the prop.
If the shaft turns out to be real long I could place a second bearing half way along the span.
The way I see it, I could then put the motor anywhere I want, and wont need any dead weight at all.
I could reduce the AUW from about 1.3 Kg to about 1.1 Kg !!! that's a substantial amount.
Is that too much weight reduction ?

Additionally, this set up would give me some natural down thrust.

Am I overlooking something ?
Why wont this work ?
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 28, 2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:05 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, that is a crazy idea. I see your point for the weight, but I really have never seen anyone do this type of mod. I would love to help, but you got me on this question. Thinking out loud, would the extended shaft put a greater load on the motor increasing the required current? Dunno, just seems like it might be harder on the motor, but I could be wrong on that.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:29 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Snake, What if you moved the supplied motor mount forward and cut a slot in the EPP for the prop to turn through? You would most probably have to build a platform for the mount to sit on to obtain the proper thrust angle. Just a thought. Don
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:13 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks guys,
Your answers were exactly what I needed to hear.
Diggs pointed out the problem, and Don gave me an alternative solution.

There would be too much mass and inertia in the extention shaft system, I'd be snapping shafts and/or drawing excessive current at throttle up.

What you said Don "rang a bell".
Someone has already done that, and from their very brief description, seemed happy with the results...other than a loss of effective power.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667651

You guys are the best.

Edit:
I think I can improve the design a little by tapering the back of the props cutout section, this should reduce some of the losses.
I PMed Tioli, who did the mid engine modification, and asked for his help.
Diggs, if you read Tioli's excellent blog, you'll see that he slope soars with a Maxi and a Swift II.

Edit the edit:

Oooo, I could angle the taper to give down thrust.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 28, 2008 at 06:40 PM.