HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:09 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks for all your help xairflyer, I owe you one.
And your absolutely right, as good as the Swift II is at gliding, it's completely out classed by the Maxi - not even close.

I took it out again this morning, same conditions as yesterday.
I'm pleased to say, I wasn't imagining it, or exaggerating...the Maxi is magnificent.

Turns out the onboard battery indicator was "optimistic", and the throttle response doesn't drop off significantly 'till the batteries are nearly spent - not sure I like that, as it makes it almost impossible to judge when to come down, especially if you only use the throttle to gain altitude occasionally.

So the only thing my "battery indicator" does, is indicate that I have a battery....oh, thank you very much.

We have some very curious Hawks at our field, that love to fly with the planes. But it seems they don't like my Maxi, when it's in the air, they find somewhere else to be, only to return when it's safely on the ground.

I just put some differential in the ailerons, I'll see how that works.
And I just mixed some elevator into the throttle curve, now when I throttle up, the nose will be forced down. Sounds great in theory..but I've read that there's a delay involved, so when you throttle up on take off, it tends to nose down before the airspeed builds up. Maybe I'll get to test that steel bar I put in the nose.

Edit:
Woo hoo - my new camera just arrived.
I'll post some pics of my beasty.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 25, 2008 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
I want to buy a Swift II but I don't need the power system offered and I have a ton of motors that can be used. My question is this..does the motor mounting hardware come in the kit or bought seperatly ? Any other help would sure come in handy ..Ijust love flying wings. I had a Speedwing 400 with an Astro .020 and on a 3s 25C it would cook (18oz rtf). I would like to find a wing that does not require so much work.

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:29 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss248
I want to buy a Swift II but I don't need the power system offered and I have a ton of motors that can be used. My question is this..does the motor mounting hardware come in the kit or bought seperatly ? Any other help would sure come in handy ..Ijust love flying wings. I had a Speedwing 400 with an Astro .020 and on a 3s 25C it would cook (18oz rtf). I would like to find a wing that does not require so much work.

Boss
Most all the hardware you need is included in the Swift II, mount and all. It is a quick wing with the Hacker motor that is recommended, but it's not blazing fast by any means. But it is very simple to build.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:32 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
The motor mount does come with the wing, and it will fly well with many different motors.
You won't regret buying a Swift II, they are a blast to throw around.
Check out the Swift II thread for some good info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540977

Edit:
Sorry Diggs, I didn't see your post. Your right, they're not very fast, but they're alot of fun.
Actually, the thing I like most about the Swift II is it's reliability....it's always ready to play.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 25, 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouser Snake
The motor mount does come with the wing, and it will fly well with many different motors.
You won't regret buying a Swift II, they are a blast to throw around.
Check out the Swift II thread for some good info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540977

Edit:
Sorry Diggs, I didn't see your post. Your right, they're not very fast, but they're alot of fun.
Actually, the thing I like most about the Swift II is it's reliability....it's always ready to play.
NP at all, the more posts the better IMO. And I couldn't agree more. My two wings that get the most airtime are the SuperFly and the Swift II. I have yet to find a big wing that is just simple, and the Maxi is really calling my name. I love my Ritewings for speed, but they are kinda high maintenance like anything sporty and fast. Not bashing them, but you have to learn a lot and be ready to tweak them on a regular basis. The Swift II just does its thing and does it very well, as does the SF. Some of the best foam I have ever purchased and I hope I feel the same about the Maxi once I get one in the air. From what you guys are saying, I am going to love it. Anyone sloping these? Not that I have a place to do it, but just curious.

Diggs
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:58 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I've never done any slope soaring, but I probably should.
This is were I live.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 28, 2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:59 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Dude, Sling that Maxi off that cliff when the wind is blowing towards it and see how she does without throttle. I bet you can fly it for hours on one lipo!

Diggs
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:19 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
She's BIG
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 26, 2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
And she's BEAUTIFUL.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Aug 26, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 06:29 AM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Most all the hardware you need is included in the Swift II, mount and all. It is a quick wing with the Hacker motor that is recommended, but it's not blazing fast by any means. But it is very simple to build.

Diggs
Thanks Diggs for the infi...it will be fast when I get through with it...

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Aug 26, 2008, 06:41 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,035 Posts
Boss 248
There is no easier build than a swift, I built mine in one eve.

With the right motor the swift II is fast, I use a 2212-6T 2200kv with a 5x5 or 6x4 prop at about 26A
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:13 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouser Snake

Turns out the onboard battery indicator was "optimistic", and the throttle response doesn't drop off significantly 'till the batteries are nearly spent - not sure I like that, as it makes it almost impossible to judge when to come down, especially if you only use the throttle to gain altitude occasionally.

So the only thing my "battery indicator" does, is indicate that I have a battery....oh, thank you very much.
Does your ESC not have a feature to cut the motor or reduce the power when the battery gets low ?
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:12 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Snake,

Have you tried just adding some washers to the top of the motor mount to change the thrust angle? Pointing that motor down just a little should help keep the nose down in flight. Should take you all of 5 minutes maybe to add 2 washers to the top 2 bolts on the motor mount. Nice pics!! Thanks for posting them and I must say I do like the bright pink, gotta be highly visible!

Diggs
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:35 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Hey Guys, How does the Maxi handle the wind?
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin