Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:36 AM
Česká republika, Hlavní město Praha, Praha
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi3000 View Post
Ok , i ended up getting this guy:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733
I have read the reviews and people are stating 13x7 and 12x12 ! with no issues. I will eventually use this for FPV at some point as I have a transmitter and video receiver. Would a 11x7 prop be ok or do i need more. OR can you perhaps point me in the direction of a good prop calculator. I used one but it was way off compared to other peoples numbers no matter which perimeter i changed.
psi3000:

the motor looks as a good choice to me. For FPV plane you need torque more than speed, therefore low KV is appreciated as it allows you to go for larger propeller. However, be careful with the prop diameter. I checked my maxi swift and found that the largest prop you can fit within the slot without cutting into the foam is 11 inches. Anything larger would request to extend the slot. Additionally, the plane would be more loud, as the noise directly depends on the free area around the prop. Large area = silent plane, small area = loud plane. Finally, larger prop = shorter flight time.

If it was my plane, for this motor I would test the flight with 2 blade 10x5 and 3 blade 9*7.

In case the plane is flying well, I would take the one which gives longer flight times.

In case the plane has difficulties to carry the load of FPV equipment, I would upgrade to 2 blade 11x5 or 3 blade 10*7.

In general, I would try to find a best compromise between sufficient torque and reasonable flight duration.

Check also the Amps going throught your ESC. For 3 blade 10 x 7, I would expect more than 50 Amps !

Definitely I would suggest to use twin Lipo setup (2 x 2200 / 3s in parallel) or single 4400 / 3S.

But you can of course try the other options as well. Nothing is more valuable than own experience :-)

drops88-
drops88 is offline Find More Posts by drops88
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
PA/DE/MD area (North East MD)
Joined Jul 2006
108 Posts
thanks for all the help drops.
psi3000 is offline Find More Posts by psi3000
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
PA/DE/MD area (North East MD)
Joined Jul 2006
108 Posts
Where do you find electric 3 blade props I have only found gws here :http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V624657
and they only go up to 9.7.
psi3000 is offline Find More Posts by psi3000
Last edited by psi3000; Jul 29, 2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: disregard
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
Hi Guys,
I took my maxi on its maiden flight last week. My setup is:
  • TURNIGY 55A TRUST SBEC Brushless Speed Controller ESC
  • XYH35-42 1250kv 45A Brushless Outrunner from GiantCod
  • 1 Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C 30C burst Lipo
  • 2 Hitec HS-82 MG

I took of with about 3/4 throttle and all seemed well. The problem was, there was a slight breeze and it seemed a little difficult to get it back. Instead of flying back towards me back upwind, it seemed to flip backwards and want to go downwind. It just didn't seem to have the power.
Is this characteristic of the maxi, or have I done something wrong?

Gareth
midlandmonkey is offline Find More Posts by midlandmonkey
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:51 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Just checked out the specs on the motor and you should have plenty of power. The fact it wanted to flip over on you suggests that you could use a bit more weight. I have flown mine with a 3S 2200 pack, but it was a handful to control and very sluggish due to it being tail heavy. I tend to fly it with a 3S 3300 or at minimum a 3S 2600. The motor you are using is heavier than mine also, so this would again suggest you need more weight in the nose. Hard to tell for certain since I am not there to see it in person, but from the details you've provided, that is what I would try.

GL,

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:48 AM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
Thanks Diggs! Well that was my inkling also but i wasnt sure - A second optinion always helps.

I was hoping to get a gopro at some point to stick on the front, so a little bit of tail heaviness at the moment probably isn't a bad thing.

I might get a slightly bigger battery to give it a try anyway - It cant hurt
midlandmonkey is offline Find More Posts by midlandmonkey
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:50 AM
RC BARNSTORMER
R/C Barnstormers of Hillsdale, KS
Joined Dec 2008
213 Posts
I'm reading through here, trying to dig out the info I need... I would like to run a 2X 2200 3S Parallel setup for FPV and was wondering what motor would be the best. Looking preferably for something from HK, as I am trying to do this on a budget.

Thanks,

Nathan
rcflyboynj is offline Find More Posts by rcflyboynj
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi3000 View Post
Where do you find electric 3 blade props I have only found gws here :http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V624657
and they only go up to 9.7.
PSI: I am using the Master Airscrew from HK. I am not certain they are electric but they certainly work well.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlandmonkey View Post
Hi Guys,
I took my maxi on its maiden flight last week. My setup is:
  • TURNIGY 55A TRUST SBEC Brushless Speed Controller ESC
  • XYH35-42 1250kv 45A Brushless Outrunner from GiantCod
  • 1 Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C 30C burst Lipo
  • 2 Hitec HS-82 MG

I took of with about 3/4 throttle and all seemed well. The problem was, there was a slight breeze and it seemed a little difficult to get it back. Instead of flying back towards me back upwind, it seemed to flip backwards and want to go downwind. It just didn't seem to have the power.
Is this characteristic of the maxi, or have I done something wrong?

Gareth
I do not see the motor as the rootcause. I would prefer to guess on too small propeller that is not capable to convert the energy from motor into pull. What propeller are you using ? You should be able to launch the wing with 50% of throttle. If you need more, your prop is too small.

Also agree with Diggs, have the same experience. Tail heavy maxi is whole bunch of troubles.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyboynj View Post
I'm reading through here, trying to dig out the info I need... I would like to run a 2X 2200 3S Parallel setup for FPV and was wondering what motor would be the best. Looking preferably for something from HK, as I am trying to do this on a budget.

Thanks,

Nathan
Nathan: pls, have a look on my posts to psi3000 on previous 2 pages.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:02 PM
Pelagicide
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
459 Posts
Does anyone have a good pic of the motor mount?

A friend gave me an old Maxi Swift that has been gathering cob webs in his shop. It has a bunch of foam dug out on the bottom where he'd mounted his servos and batteries, I figure I can use those, but he didn't have the motor mount that came with it mounted on the plane. Apparently he did glue it together, 'cause it was in the bag w/ with wing, but for the life of me I can't see how the motor goes on and how the mount goes on the wing (presumably with CA or epoxy?)

Also, if someone has a pic of theirs completed, the bottom esp. w/ all the electronics mounted, could you please post that?

I've never flown a wing, and I admit to me they look a little hinky - like"that's gonna fly!?" - but I've seen the videos and they do seem to kick butt, so I wouldn't mind having this one so I can bash it around. (Love EPP!)
Thanks!
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
A friend gave me an old Maxi Swift that has been gathering cob webs in his shop. It has a bunch of foam dug out on the bottom where he'd mounted his servos and batteries, I figure I can use those, but he didn't have the motor mount that came with it mounted on the plane. Apparently he did glue it together, 'cause it was in the bag w/ with wing, but for the life of me I can't see how the motor goes on and how the mount goes on the wing (presumably with CA or epoxy?)

Also, if someone has a pic of theirs completed, the bottom esp. w/ all the electronics mounted, could you please post that?

I've never flown a wing, and I admit to me they look a little hinky - like"that's gonna fly!?" - but I've seen the videos and they do seem to kick butt, so I wouldn't mind having this one so I can bash it around. (Love EPP!)
Thanks!
You can find all needed pictures on page 56.
drops88-
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:07 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
Gary, BK, Airbagit-
How do you know what angle to set your FPV camera on these wings? I'm starting my build this weekend (rain, rain, rain, and to break things up here, torrential downpours)

Is there an angle that i should start with? I know there is an AoA to the wing (just like all craft) and we don't want to stare at the sky while dodging trees. so with the Wing resting on m workbench i should have my camera angled at XXdeg downwards??

Gary, I like the Hard 'Spine' that you built into your Maxi and the Swift II. i want build one of my own as i may bungee launch it, but i may not.

Also, should i cut reflex into the trailing edge of the wing where the motor mount is? will this clean up the airstream and quiet it down? or is turbulated air the answer? i've seen on a ritwing 60" Zeph a sawtooth type diffuser on the trailing edge of the wing, only in the air path of the prop. anyone have some aerodynamic knowledge(not theory) about that?

Thank you all for answering,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:57 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSLow2Care View Post
Gary, BK, Airbagit-
How do you know what angle to set your FPV camera on these wings? I'm starting my build this weekend (rain, rain, rain, and to break things up here, torrential downpours)
Is there an angle that i should start with? I know there is an AoA to the wing (just like all craft) and we don't want to stare at the sky while dodging trees. so with the Wing resting on m workbench i should have my camera angled at XXdeg downwards??

Set the plane on the ground with the nose slightly up as it would be in flight and adjust the camera so you have about 1/3 sky 2/3 ground. The camera will be angled downward

Gary, I like the Hard 'Spine' that you built into your Maxi and the Swift II. i want build one of my own as i may bungee launch it, but i may not.

Also, should i cut reflex into the trailing edge of the wing where the motor mount is? will this clean up the airstream and quiet it down? or is turbulated air the answer? i've seen on a ritwing 60" Zeph a sawtooth type diffuser on the trailing edge of the wing, only in the air path of the prop. anyone have some aerodynamic knowledge(not theory) about that?

Thank you all for answering,
Brian
I have not tried to reduce the prop noise. It is caused by the prop being so close to the trailing edge.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:22 AM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
thanks Gary! i'll play with some different angles & go from there!

cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care