HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:02 AM
Reno, NV, USA
Joined Mar 2001
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I'm on my 2nd Swift2, this time instead of taping I have let 3mm carbon rod into top and bottom surfaces, behind battery cavity and a longer ones just in front of the motor mount, I have also moved the motor mount further forward to reduce it flexing so much when the throttle is opened (noticeable transient pitch-down). Power 2408 21 b/l bell motor on 1600 3sLiPo. With stiffer, lighter wing the Swift is faster but more important, responses are much crisper.
Gurth.
3mm carbon rod, top and bottom, can you post a picture?

thanks! Phil
PhilK is offline Find More Posts by PhilK
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:14 AM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
Hi Phil,
Hope these pictures will help.
Zdenek
euromodels is offline Find More Posts by euromodels
Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:37 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,934 Posts
answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilK
A few questions to the swift 2 and maxi swift owners.

I haven't seen the Swift 2 or maxi except for this thread.

Modelling best kept secret

I have and have flown the original swift (the baby one...)

I was surprised to see the servo's so far behind the cg on the maxi, ie close to the elevon's.

I imagine that the position of the servo's was needed to balance the maxi with the big lipo's up front?

There BIG elevons and the purpose im sure is to keep the kinkages as short as possible

Can someone submit a picture of the Swift 2 and servo (cut in) position?

Swift 2 is same as swift except for a very slight section change and epp elevons, servo and rc cutouts are exactly the same

So.. If I understand correctly... the maxis aren't precut for servo, battery and receiver (like the original swifts..)

The first swifts i saw all had cutouts for the rc equipment

Is the swift 2, also uncut?

hope this helps

Correct no cutouts at all!

It appears that the swift2 is the same size as the original swift, is this correct?

Identical size

Spars.... Do the swift 2 and maxi come with flat carbon for strengthing the wing?

Swift II comes without any spars still, maxi swift comes with a thick cord to glue into the surface of the wing top and bottom, instructions make no mention of it though

I know the original swifts did not come with carbon in the kits. I have built several original swifts

thanks! Phil
Hope this helps
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:40 AM
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodels
Hi Phil,
Hope these pictures will help.
Zdenek
~The first two pictures, what are they, looks like a swift but the servos are in differnt places, battery bay looks further rearward and non standard control horns and motor mount. Looks more like the "Tom"
Old Aug 27, 2006, 05:20 AM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
The first two pics - the Maxi Swift, last two - its mine Swift II.
Zdenek
Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:40 AM
Reno, NV, USA
Joined Mar 2001
322 Posts
pics of maxi and swift2

Thanks for the pics of the maxi and swift 2

I see where you added spars on both models.

I haven't added any into my original swift two! (just a few strands of strapping tape, top and bottom)

I also notice the brushess motors on the existing motormount. NICE!
We add a small piece of plastic glued to the undersurface of the wing, and then glue a 3/8 inch square dowel, and attach a himax outrunner (to the stick) which works VERY well!

If anyone wants to see, I'll have to figure-out how to upload a picture!

Thanks! Phil
Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:48 AM
Reno, NV, USA
Joined Mar 2001
322 Posts
epp elevons? COOL - modified motor mount?

Looking closely at the swift 2...

It appears they have epp elevon's and a different elevon control horn, large surface plastic. Are the plastic control horns stock?

What size carbon is in the swift2... 1mm or 3mm?

And, what size carbon is in the swift Maxi?
I see the mini a-frame type carbon.

Is the swift2 re-inforced motor mount stock?

thanks! Phil
Last edited by PhilK; Aug 27, 2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:04 AM
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,934 Posts
My apologies the first pics are obviously the maxi swift when i took a proper look. The angle the image is taken from makes it look much smaller than when your trying to weild it around in a 7' x 5' shed lol. Notice youve reinforced the control horns from stock.

SwiftII elevon horns are as shown and have a large gluing area as you quite rightly spotted (these are stock) the major difference in the motor mount is the tow addition stiffners and the rear vertical plate. The basic white plate remains unchanged and can still take the original MS geared 300 setup. (this is the new stock motor mount)

I use 1mm carbon in my swiftII and 3mm in the maxi swift

Andy
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:16 PM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
Hi Andy,

This mine Swift II after some modifications. I used that mount to test different motors after breaking the original one.

Z.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
Reno, NV, USA
Joined Mar 2001
322 Posts
Motor is WAY back there!

I've noticed on the new pics that the motor is WAY back, ie further from the TE of the wing.

So.. you must have a LOT of nose weight and/or battery to balance on the cg...

I'll upload pictures later of plastic and stick mount which moves the motor forward, (still fitting inside the stock elevons) and keeps the cg with a 3s 1320 tp.

Weight is good for penetrating in wind, but the lighter the swift/swift2's are, the better they 'float'.

Phil
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5 Posts
I am setting up a Maxi Swift for a friend of mine and here is what I have ordered so far:

Maxi Swift-Space Racer
AXI Gold 2814/12 Brushless Outrunner Motor
Jeti Advance PLUS 40 Amp Brushless Motor Controller
Collet prop adapter 4MM
Thunder Power extreme LiPo 11.1V 2200mAh (3 cells)
APC 10x5 Electric Prop

My question for everyone is about the servos and receiver. I have a couple of spare Hitec HS-55 servos and was wondering if these would be strong enough or will he just strip out the gears. I also have GWS Pico R-4PII 4 channel receiver which should be fine, right? Or I could put in a GWS GWR-4N 4 channel receiver. Is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Jay
wedenj is offline Find More Posts by wedenj
Last edited by wedenj; Oct 10, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 06:22 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
My setup for Swift 2

Hi to you all,

Since June 2006 I have started flying RC and I started with the Swift 2. Excellent plane and very easy to master. Survived the first landings (controlled crashes), only to destroy the plane completely by making it fly on its back and then giving full up instead of down (beginners mistake) .
I immediately ordered a second one which is flying great. I have enclosed some pictures of my setup which is not very much different from what I read here (some carbon strips glued in the wing to give it some more stiffness).
Further an RCM 400F Brushless motor and a Graupner Cam Speed Prop 5,5 x 4,3. Thunder Power 3S LiPo 1320 mAh, 25 A Speed Controller (the first one, an 18 A controller got fried) .
I destroyed two servo gears, one when making my famous crash, the other one when the servo arm hit a piece of hard mud on the field when pulling up from low fly by.
Landings are never a problem, just find a piece of grass and pull up just before it touches the ground. You can also try to catch it.
For two video's of this plane go here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04695976&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99535709&hl=en

Patrick
Pzero1 is offline Find More Posts by Pzero1
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
6 Posts
I saw the photo of the Maxi Swift in all the mags. I was very interested and went to the mscomposit website. I ordered one of the Maxi's but I never found out exactly what comes with the wing. Does the wing come in one piece or the traditional two. What hardware does it come with, if any? I've learned from this site that the bottom is not painted. Is the top painted EPP or is there some kind of painted covering on it. I currently live in St. Thomas, USVI and we slope fly here. I am going to try one of the Maxi's on the slope (no motor). Has anyone sloped this plane?
kennydee is offline Find More Posts by kennydee
Old Jan 11, 2007, 01:23 AM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
And I sure miss flying mine.....here it is: http://www.ciberjohn.com/gal/display...?album=4&pos=0
ciberjohn is offline Find More Posts by ciberjohn
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:29 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Hi,

Here's a video from a Maxi Swift that I found on the site of my Italian RC model shop, straight from the MS-Composit team themselves. You should try the landing bit yourselves
Video of Maxi Swift

Patrick
Pzero1 is offline Find More Posts by Pzero1
Last edited by Pzero1; Jan 11, 2007 at 11:36 AM.