SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2009, 02:57 AM
Vaulnaveys-le-bas, France
Joined Apr 2005
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yani
i just received it now... ups working late at 7:30 pm. i open the box and diggs is right. first thought was holy S**T! good ending to my not so good day, had a lock out which killed my 48" juka, but now i have a new toy.
Hello,
Did you get a chance to weight the EPP parts (without motor/servo/rx) ?
Marc
marckossa is offline Find More Posts by marckossa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
no sorry, i just started building as soon as i opened it.
Figure.N9ne is offline Find More Posts by Figure.N9ne
Old Jan 06, 2009, 04:15 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
had the maiden today and wow this thing just floats.

the setup is

park480 1020kv
apc 10x5e
castle creations phoenix 35
hs81mg
ar7000
3s2200 + 120g's of ballast

AUW? who cares it just floats!

we had a stiff 15+ mph breeze today and i would speck it out in the sky and just keep the nose pointed into the wind and it wouldnt move, circle around for a while and it just keeps flying and flying. 4:45 was the longest glide i had, i'm sure i'll get better at it with experience though. the components on the bottom arent the best idea so after a few landings and getting every dusty i just switched to catching it, i've never had an easier plane to catch. and hand launching with a Frisbee toss is a non-event

on the build i used a lot of hot glue like the superflies. the fuse halves and the winglets are glued together using hot glue as well as the servos, receiver and esc. i figured it might add a little weight but i've never liked epp + epoxy/ca, it defeats the purpose of making epp spongy.

i must say this thing is impressive and the remarks from the peanut gallery when you land and they see the real size of it is always funny. apart from the spongy controls i love it. i may try some carbon but i dont really fly it fast very often so i might just let it be.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:09 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
2 quick pics that sadly came out blurry

Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:20 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Congrats Yani! She does float well. I used carbon tow on my elevons and it seemed to help after sitting up for a few days. First flight scared me because I had a hard time pulling it out of a dive, but it nosed up on its own. After it bled off some speed, I was good to go again. I then added the tow and it has been pretty good so far. Still a bit soft, but not too bad.

The string that comes with it is to be used like carbon tow. Cut a slit, install the string/twine and then put CA on it. When it hardens it will stiffen the area. You might try that approach, since it would be very lite.

Also, it is cold and rainy here, so I am not going out to measure my CG till it clears up a bit. Maybe tomorrow. Where did your CG come out?

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:27 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Quote:
i've never liked epp + epoxy/ca, it defeats the purpose of making epp spongy.
I agree, it took me a couple of EPP planes before I figured that out.

You don't muck around Yani, wasn't very long between recieving it and the maiden flight, well done.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:30 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Congrats Yani! She does float well. I used carbon tow on my elevons and it seemed to help after sitting up for a few days. First flight scared me because I had a hard time pulling it out of a dive, but it nosed up on its own. After it bled off some speed, I was good to go again. I then added the tow and it has been pretty good so far. Still a bit soft, but not too bad.

The string that comes with it is to be used like carbon tow. Cut a slit, install the string/twine and then put CA on it. When it hardens it will stiffen the area. You might try that approach, since it would be very lite.

Also, it is cold and rainy here, so I am not going out to measure my CG till it clears up a bit. Maybe tomorrow. Where did your CG come out?

Diggs
with the 2 2200 packs its at 300mm from the nose, with the battery and ballast its about 303-305 mm from the nose. i didnt notice the cg range went back to 320, if i had noticed sooner i would've left it with just enough space for one pack in the foam and it would've balanced fine. either way, i'm happy with how it flies. on the 30-45* dive test its not pulling out but i still add a little more reflex since it seems to help the glide a bit and its fun to just let it fly around for a minute with no input as it pulls out of dives and circles around on its own .

a friend showed up at the field and i let the radio hang by the strap and turned around and went to say hi, he looked at me like i was nuts. after i was done greeting him i looked back up and kept on flying, the maxi was soaring on its on with no use for me lol

did you install the carbon tow straight across or in a zig zag pattern? i was thinking of using some flat carbon i have here but i dont know how much it would help just running it across.

offtopic: talked to mike morgan and he's hooking it up with a new juka fuselage for very cheap. he's one of the best vendors i've dealt with in a while.

i'm trying to build up my collection of larger electrics to make the trip out to seff this year with a few planes to fly. all i need is a51" aj slick and i think i'll be good for the trip.
Last edited by Figure.N9ne; Jan 06, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:33 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
I agree, it took me a couple of EPP planes before I figured that out.

You don't muck around Yani, wasn't very long between recieving it and the maiden flight, well done.
haha, i finished crashing my favorite plane that afternoon and nice man in the big brown truck dropped this beast off. i tore right in and was amazed at how little work it actually required. i think i had it done in under 4 hours. i think it was the superfly experience, i've built about 6 of those already and this builds like a really big superfly.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:36 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
A really, really big Superfly.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:45 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
speaking of being really big, i got lucky this bad boy fit in the car!

i figured i'd have no problem fitting it and phew... i got lucky.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:46 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yani

a friend showed up at the field and i let the radio hang by the strap and turned around and went to say hi, he looked at me like i was nuts. after i was done greeting him i looked back up and kept on flying, the maxi was soaring on its on with no use for me lol

did you install the carbon tow straight across or in a zig zag pattern? i was thinking of using some flat carbon i have here but i dont know how much it would help just running it across.

offtopic: talked to mike morgan and he's hooking it up with a new juka fuselage for very cheap. he's one of the best vendors i've dealt with in a while.

i'm trying to build up my collection of larger electrics to make the trip out to seff this year with a few planes to fly. all i need is a51" aj slick and i think i'll be good for the trip.
Yani, where are you located? If you make it to SEFF, look me up man. We will have to both fly the Maxis! Good thermals in GA!

As for the tow, I just glued it all the way around the edge of the elevons. Then I did a few pieces across the bottom of them as well. Still flexes, but not as much.

Mike is awesome! Glad to hear the DW will be back in the air soon. The Maxi is great fun, but it aint going to 3D like the DW

Diggs
Old Jan 06, 2009, 07:59 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
I'll look into the tow, but i'm going to fly it a few more days and see how i like it for now.

I'm in Miami, FL. i've been wanting to go to seff but last year i got really into glow powered so it wasnt worth it with my current planes but this year I'm sticking to electric so it'll definitely be worth it. If I make it, i'll let you know for sure. Our hangars are actually pretty similar. Maxi Swift, superfly's, sloflys, BAF's. I also spent quite a bit of time in NC visiting family, next time i drive up i'd love to check out the field all those HPP videos are filmed at.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 11:46 PM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
Hi, I've been looking around for a platform for a UAV for a while and it seems like the Maxi is the way to go. Specifically because I need to carry a fair bit of weight and this is a big wing.

My first question is: How fast does the Maxi cruise? I know it flies fairly slowly and this is good but any estimates on MPH?

How efficient is the Maxi? Do you think it would be possible to get an hour out of her at cruise speed with a 3200mAh battery?

Finally, am I correct in saying she can take weight? I fly a Swift II FPV, (in fact nearly all my planes and Helis are FPV now) and this is a superb platform and handles weight well, am I correct in saying the maxi should be the same?

This is basically going to be a UAV with full autopilot along with FPV gear, I want to go for distance (20 miles+) but it is nice to have an autopilot to turn the plane around and do the flying at times.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Jan 08, 2009, 06:46 PM
Miami, FL
Joined Mar 2007
683 Posts
i dont think you'll be able to get an hour out of her on a 3200. i get 35 minutes from a 2200 but thats mostly gliding with about 7 climb outs. she can handle plenty of weight, but the more weigh you put on her that faster she'll need to cruise and the faster you'll eat up the battery.

i dont think it'll be feasible to get an hours worth of "motor on" flight with any battery. the more capacity you add, the more weight you have, the faster you need to fly and it'll just get worse. 30 minutes on a 3200 might be possible as long as you're cruising slowly.

in other news, i was teaching 2 friends to fly with the maxi swift today. brought out 2 chairs and a trainer box. flew it til it was about 50 mistakes high and killed the motor then told the other person to take over. they'd get about 3 minutes of unpowered glide back down and i'd take it back up for them. its so mellow flying that they had no problem figuring it out even though neither of them have ever flown.
Old Jan 08, 2009, 06:51 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I would have to agree. I flew mine on a 3S 3600, however those are very old and very tired lipos, so not a fair assessment. But, with my spunky 2500 Evos I get about 20 or so minutes of fairly aggressive flight. I haven't had a chance to fly her tuned properly when there is some lift. But I agree the weight is the key and to keep her floaty, you need to keep it light. I did add a bunch of lead to the nose once, but realized it could be removed. It had no problems with the added weight, but didn't float like I wanted.

I might look at the big winged ezstar thread by scrtsqrl and check out his setup. Seems like a winner.

Diggs