HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2006, 09:35 AM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
I bought the MS Composit Swift Racer from Horizon Hobby, they have it and the Patrol as well.http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC.../Default.aspx? ProdIhttp://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=MSUMS1300041D=MSUMS1300040
I haven't built mine yet as I have quite a few models to get to
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2006, 10:33 AM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
MS Swift II & Maxi Swift

We have both wing flying and can't be any happier.
Maxi Swift - AXI 2814/12, Swift II - AXI2208/26 and MPJet 22/7-45D.
Maxi Swift
euromodels is offline Find More Posts by euromodels
Old May 29, 2006, 01:27 PM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
Were still waiting for the UK distributor to get the Maxi swifts in stock.
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:04 PM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
UFO sighting in Kogarah

Maxi Swift at night
euromodels is offline Find More Posts by euromodels
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:50 AM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
well..I haven't seen any Maxi Swift, but here in POrtugal, swift II it's making it's way amon flyers ;-)

http://www.ciberjohn.com/gal/display...?album=4&pos=0
ciberjohn is offline Find More Posts by ciberjohn
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:21 AM
Bewdley, Worcestershire, England.
Joined May 2004
89 Posts
Maxi Swift is available in UK - I've seen one in Penn Models assembled, and they also have kits. As I recall - about 75.
I'm on my 2nd Swift2, this time instead of taping I have let 3mm carbon rod into top and bottom surfaces, behind battery cavity and a longer ones just in front of the motor mount, I have also moved the motor mount further forward to reduce it flexing so much when the throttle is opened (noticeable transient pitch-down). Power 2408 21 b/l bell motor on 1600 3sLiPo. With stiffer, lighter wing the Swift is faster but more important, responses are much crisper.
Gurth.
Old Geezer is offline Find More Posts by Old Geezer
Old Aug 20, 2006, 02:17 PM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
nice setup there old Geezer :-) can You show a movie of it flying ? I sensed that " deeping" tendenci also and I've corrected like you :-)
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:31 PM
Bewdley, Worcestershire, England.
Joined May 2004
89 Posts
Sorry Jon - I'm not able to do movies - yet. But - "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" - actually a semi-retired veterinarian - the set-up transforms the little beast.
Gurth.
Old Geezer is offline Find More Posts by Old Geezer
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:50 AM
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
Im working on movies for both swift II (rolling rolling rolling.... continuus rolling circuits,rolling loops and rolling cuban eights) and the maxi swift at the moment

Andy...(Penn Models)

MS Swift RC modellings best kept secret!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,676 Posts
Hi swift owner's!
I have one swift2 also, i'm using a diferent setup on it, i've made a custom ply mount so i could use a brushed speed 400. It' flyes great, up to now the only prb i had was electronics, the pack was not giving enough amps to it so i couldn't go full for long periods of time.
But i have a question, one of the things i don't like is the electronic parts placement, they are under the wing, wouldn't it be better to move them to the upper side? Or that would cause problems in the wing aerodynamics or balance?
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:20 PM
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
193 Posts
What battery do you run on the maxi swift ?
How this big wing fly?
TooLyr is offline Find More Posts by TooLyr
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:34 PM
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
The big birds much slower and less nimble than the little swift. Flies nice and smooth on a eflite park 480 and forever on the 3s1p 3100 needed up front to balance it. Its not as hot as the smaller verion by any way. As for electronics placement its not a problem where they are. Never stripped a servo gear in one as the output arm runs flush with the underside of the wing, the rest of the radio is taped over or a piece of thin plastic sheet as a cover. The brushless esc i fit to the top side on the motor mount just in front of the motor.

The maxi swift runs anything from a single 3s1p 2500 to 2 x 3s1p 2500 in parrallel or even 4s1p 3700 dependant on motor choice. not tried it but you could probably go with the dinosaurs and set her up with a speed 600 and 8 sub c nimhs

No holes are cut in the maxi swift for radio, batteries etc unlike the baby one.

Andy
Old Aug 25, 2006, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
well...replying to the hardware positioning, the only change I think it's doeneble is to put the servo arms to the uperside. Movind onthe electronics up, will shift 100% the weight from down to down to up from down, making it tip stall for sure.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 03:01 AM
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
It wont tip stall inverted so i cant see moving the equipment up what must be all of 5mm would make any difference. As for passing the servo arms through the top surface this is a pheasable and simple option, but if you do remember to place the control horn accuratley as it should sit just behing the hinge line from the underside to give the built in differential throws, raising it to the top surface you'll have to put a small kink in the control run to get the correct linkage geometry and also place the pivot point just in front of the hinge line. I know you can set the differntial on the tx but its really good practice to always get the mechanical setup accurate first.

If it aint broke dont fix it and the swift aint broke!

I now longer tape the little machine either and go for a similar option to what Gurth the old geezer said. But i only use 1mm carbon rod set in just flush with the wing skin. whats important doing this is to ensure the rods are directly above and below each other forming a very stiff "I beam" spar.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:45 PM
Reno, NV, USA
Joined Mar 2001
322 Posts
Swift2 and Maxi swift questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap

No holes are cut in the maxi swift for radio, batteries etc unlike the baby one.

Andy
A few questions to the swift 2 and maxi swift owners.

I haven't seen the Swift 2 or maxi except for this thread.

I have and have flown the original swift (the baby one...)

I was surprised to see the servo's so far behind the cg on the maxi, ie close to the elevon's.

I imagine that the position of the servo's was needed to balance the maxi with the big lipo's up front?

Can someone submit a picture of the Swift 2 and servo (cut in) position?

So.. If I understand correctly... the maxis aren't precut for servo, battery and receiver (like the original swifts..)

Is the swift 2, also uncut?

It appears that the swift2 is the same size as the original swift, is this correct?

Spars.... Do the swift 2 and maxi come with flat carbon for strengthing the wing?

I know the original swifts did not come with carbon in the kits. I have built several original swifts

thanks! Phil
PhilK is offline Find More Posts by PhilK