HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:45 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Sorry to not look through the entire thread but will a park 480 and a eflight 40amp esc work on a maxi swift? I have one pulled out of a ultamite with a very weak airframe and i have a ball with my swift 2( going to start a build thread soon on two more).
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I think it would be a good combo. Probably a pretty powerful combo and would move it along fine with a 10x5e prop. I almost went that route, but wanted to keep the weight down, and have plans for my 480. So I bought one of these.
X2217/08 Brushless Outrunner - Comes with radial mount and prop adapter. Similar to speed 480, great for Park Flyers & 3D birds weighing 10-28 oz. SPECS:
# Voltage: 7.4-11.1V
# RPM/V: 1,100
# Current: 9-18A (18A @ 60 sec)
# Power: 220W+
# Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm
# Recommended Prop: 10x5 APC e @ 3s = 40.7 oz. thrust
11x5.5 APC e @ 2s = 27.85 oz thrust
# Weight: 2.5 oz.

From here http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...24647315.19989

It is not the best "pusher" motor out there, but it works fine for me. I was impressed with the motor and only used a 9x4.5 e prop on it. Will likely move up to a 10" prop this weekend. I want to climb a bit faster.

I got to fly mine just a little this weekend. Found out she will handle some big wind. 20MPH winds and she did very well. Also, the elevons seem much better after a week or two of just sitting around. Dunno why or how, but maybe that carbon tow gets stiffer with age, unlike other things Late in the day the winds calmed down and I got to take her up to the highest altitude yet. It was tiny and I have no clue how high it was, but it floated around for an eternity with little to no lift.

One of my favorite things to do with it so far though is land it at ultra slow speeds. It is pretty amazing how slow it flys and how soft it lands. And the launch is so simple too! But I kept tossing it up in the air and flying it around gaining some altitude, then bringing it in dead stick trying to spot land it. That is a blast. Difficult to hit the landing zone, but just a ton of fun to try to squeeze as much dead stick flight out of it as you can. The balance between bleeding off a little speed and keeping enough momentum to get to the zone is a challenge, but a lot of fun. Can't wait for a day with some good lift. I think I can get an hour flight + out of it.

So far I have run 6 packs through it, but still have only had 3 good flights and they weren't that long due to the time of day or the fact it was the maiden and I was tweaking and testing. I have flown it enough to know I like it though. It is going to be a fun plane and a regular at the field! It is an easy toss in the back of the SUV and go plane.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:28 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,199 Posts
Not sure what servos you guys are using for the elevons, but I found the only way to get the best control at speed was bigger servos, I do have a strip of carbon along the TE of the elevon, but the surface is large and the smaller servos just dont have the torque.
I am now using std JR591 servos and have full control, not matter what speed
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I've always run standard full size servos in mine, and have had weak authority issues in the past, it's a real problem, I've seen it.
I think it's more complicated than just an inapropriate servo selection issue.

I just stumbled on this Youtube video that shows very well what a pleasure it is to fly these floaty wings.

MAXI SWIFT CLIP (1 min 47 sec)
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Last edited by TSnake; Dec 06, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Hahahaa, yes it does. That was funny, he was having problems getting it to land! I love landing the MS, it's cake. But he had some wind to deal with which changes the game just a bit. I have to agree, the softness of the EPP is what really makes the handling a challenge. I didn't use standard size, but used HS65MGs which have plenty of torque for these elevons. Tomorrow should be an almost perfect flight day. My goal, lots of MS flights along with the new FVK Graphite!! I hope we have some good lift tomorrow!

Diggs
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:32 AM
Altafulla. Tarragona (Spain)
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
I just stumbled on this Youtube video that shows very well what a pleasure it is to fly these floaty wings.

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=j55rVsMlCFk
Many thanks for your comments, here you can find the extended version of the clip
MAXI SWIFT (FULL VERSION) (3 min 38 sec)
Ildefonso is offline Find More Posts by Ildefonso
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:49 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thank you Ildefonso,
I really enjoyed watching that, nicely done.
Old Nov 02, 2008, 08:44 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I went out to the Henderson Flying field here in NC this weekend with Fred Midgett of Higher Plane productions, and while we were there he shot a vid of me flying the Maxi Swift and someone else shot a video of him flying the MS in combat mode with a hover disk.. The MS won You can see how to sign up for the FREE VIP area from HPP in this post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1648

Videos are large!! But are also very high res. Sorry to say I stalled the thing (camera shy) when I was buzzing around the field. Not a bad video over all though if you want to see what the maxi is like doing some gentle floating and being thrown around a little. You can also go here and see more pics from our day at Henderson.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post10864155

Starts at post 378.

Diggs
Old Nov 02, 2008, 10:37 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Hi Diggs,

I don't think I could stall mine if I tried, nicely done Sir...and with a camera rolling.

I just requested access to HPP, so I'll have wait to see the videos.

Great to hear your having fun.
With a bit of luck, I should get to slope soar the Maxi for the first time tomorrow.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 12:00 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Hahaha, the last thing I said on the vid is I stalled the unstallable plane Yeah, I dunno how I managed that, and It was captured on video to boot. I also dumped it during one of the slow fly-bys because I thought for sure I was going to run into someone on the field.

Again, I can't figure out why there is no traction on this wing here on RCG. It is a really fun wing and IMO one of if not the best for a wing newb and lots of fun for an experienced wing flyer. Oh well, hopefully this most recent episode of ATTF and the coverage from Fred will boost it a bit. He had a lot of fun flying it around and was amazed at how easy it is to fly and how SLOW it would go.

Diggs
Old Nov 03, 2008, 04:48 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Great videos, Fred sure does excellent work, both as a camera man and as a black-hearted combat pilot (the way he destroyed that harmless little balloon thingy was too funny).
The owner didn't look impressed, which just made it even funnier...sorry, that's mean, but it was pretty funny.

Some impressive low flying there Diggs, nice skills.
I like to edit my own videos, so I can take out the stuff that makes my flying look "less than perfect", (that explains why my videos are just a series of short clips, never more than a few milli-seconds long).

As Diggs said, you'll have to request site access, and they may take a few of minutes to download with a slow connection, but do yourself a favour and watch some quality RC videos, instead of the usual youtube rubbish (with the exception of my videos and Ildefonso's clips, naturally) .
And you get access to dozens of other videos for free.
Last edited by TSnake; Nov 03, 2008 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Youtube rubbish disclaimer
Old Nov 04, 2008, 01:38 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Slope soaring part 1

I just got back from my first slope soaring adventure with the Maxi.

I went with half a dozen locals, who generously showed me how it was done. Without them, there is NO WAY I would have launched.
At first I just watched them, secretly thinking to myself, "this was a really bad idea".
The wind was strong and kept changing direction, and we were so very high up (almost 1000 feet), standing on the edge of the cliff gave me an unpleasant feeling (vertigo)....oh dear.
These guys expect me to throw my beloved Maxi off this cliff, not having any real idea what it might do ?
Last edited by TSnake; Nov 04, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 02:36 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Slope soaring part 2

It came as a surprise to me, when after about 15 minutes of watching, I found myself thinking "this sort of looks like fun".
So I went back to the car and grabbed my gear.

Nobody else was flying anything like a Maxi, the others had "serious" looking machines, all sleek and sexy. But my buddy said the Maxi would do well, so.....

I threw it off the cliff.

I probably should know by now, that Maxis are very competent and forgiving wings.
So I shouldn't have been surprised that it handled the slope with ease (it does everything else with a relaxed attitude, so why not this ?).
The Maxi took about 5 seconds to show me that we, in fact, can do this "slope soaring" thing.

I still had the motor on the Maxi, just in case, and I did use a few times, even though I probably didn't need to...I've still got a lot to learn.

I have to admit that it's not the best plane for slope soaring, as it doesn't retain energy very well, when you turn it away from the cliff it looses almost all it's momentum, but it's never in danger of stalling. The other planes were flying rings around it, but that's OK, I was just learning, and I wouldn't have wanted any other plane to learn on.
It slowed everything down, and gave me the time I needed to learn.
The good old familiar and forgiving Maxi, did very well.

Towards the end of the flight I was attacked by a very angry hawk, I have a lot of time for hawks, they're magnificent creatures, so I don't mind if I loose a little EPP to one of them, every now and then.

I stayed up for about 40 minutes, but could have stayed up for 40 days if the Lipo had enough power.
Had a great time, and although I'm already looking for a better slope soarer, the Maxi was perfect for a total noob like me.

After I landed, a mate put up his Swift II (with motor still attached), and it was very impressive. It did better than the Maxi, mainly because it took better advantage of the lift, and he was able to throw it around with ease.
He did however get attacked by 2 Perigrine Falcons.
Now that's something you don't see every day, they get up high, fold in their wings, and fall like a rock and try to smash your plane out of the sky.
Sorry, no video, we were enjoying the show too much.
Last edited by TSnake; Nov 04, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 03:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
99 Posts
I ordered up my maxi swift. Getting ready to order up some hardware.

Anyone flying spektrum?

Trouser, left you a pm.
Skid_Slide is offline Find More Posts by Skid_Slide
Old Nov 04, 2008, 03:53 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks, I just responded.
Good luck with your new toy.

Quote:
Anyone flying spektrum?
I wouldn't run anything else.
AR7000 or other "full range" reciever, as it's constantly flying in the stratosphere.
Last edited by TSnake; Nov 04, 2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Must add smiley face