HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:26 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
hehe. I think Chris is on that page too.. even before I knew him..lol

Um, so is it crazy to want to suggest putting the motor in front? (don't slap me)
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:30 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Definately not crazy.
It would be alot quieter.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:33 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
and help CG to keep her even lighter... maybe a folder?
mmmm
Then balsa elevons.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:41 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Hmmm, very interesting idea.
Your right about the CG, and less added weight, but I'm well and truely over the "light weight Maxi" concept, I'm not clever enough to sort out the problems it creates.

When I think about the folding prop idea, is all I can see are little pieces of EPP falling from the sky.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:37 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
UGH, a folder would be bad mojo. Trouser Snake is correct, you would make a really nice foam cutter. I only have 2 short flights on the Maxi so far, and it isn't LOUD like a Ritewing, but it is noisy. However, it is only noisy while the prop is turning. Once you get it up to altitude, you can float with it off and it is silent. It is just the climb where you hear it. I am going to get some serious flight time with it on Sunday baring any unforeseen silliness. I have 6 lipos that fit it perfectly. They are old school 12C PolyRC 3600 3S packs, that I bought for my now departed Ritewing TL60 (Ran them in parallel for a 3S 7200mah), but these put out plenty of amps for the Maxi. Have the needed weight for the nose too.

I really wouldn't make it into a puller. It wouldn't be an easy task to cut the foam and create a mount. Just put it on the back and try it first. If you want to later, then rip off the motor mount and try it on the front, but personally, I wouldn't do it. I will pay more attention to the noise level Sunday when I fly it, but again it isn't annoying. I bet your easy star is as louder due to the higher KV.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:37 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Diggs is once again, is the voice of reason, in a crazy world.

He's shot some of my crazy ideas down before, and I'm glad he did, or I'd still be trying to "re-invent the wheel".
So perhaps we should take his advice, and scrap the tractor prop idea.

But where would this world be without "crazy" dreamers ?
Ask yourself, where would we be if young Mr. Oppenheimer had listened to his friends, who said "you know Oppy, I don't think building that atomic bomb is such a good idea" ?

Hmm ?
Hmm ?

On Maxi realated news, it's been ages since I suggested painting my Maxi black, so I thought I'd better get started on it.
It should be ready to fly in a few hours.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
haha. Well... I think it should go without saying that if you did a folder then you should account for space not to hit your plane... I'm not quite that daft.

however a puller cannot be a bad Idea to shave weight / make it quite / allow for stiffer flaps. There are triangles that do it this way, but I may try it before I make it standard for weight reasons.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Get a cheap Swift II first and practice the puller setup on that first. I think it will work, but it just seems to me like it will be a lot of trouble for little return. For battery weight, just stick a pair of 3S 1800s up front and run them in parallel. The Swift II floats amazingly well also, it is just smaller. It is also less than half the price!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
You selling a swiftII?

Hey, I didn't know swift was a real thing. I want one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kt9...eature=related
Swift Beyond 2000 (9 min 28 sec)
Last edited by GFBurke; Oct 11, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:08 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Stealth Maxi.

I'll test fly it in the morning.

That full size Swift in those videos looks great, I wonder if they ever started producing them ?

Edit:
I just noticed that the flash on my camera washed out the color of the paint on the body, I'll get a better picture in sunlight tomorrow.
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 12, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Here's some slightly better pictures, and I managed to convince my bestest friend to model for me.

I added some mods during the build, steel rod in the leading edge, moved the battery to the top, added larger winglets, made a battery hatch...it's still a work in progress.

It flys well, but as always with this particular wing, it needs some fine tuning.
And yes, orientation is a problem, sometimes I can't tell if it's right side up, upside down, or coming or going.

But it's worth the trouble, it looks soo good in the sky.
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 12, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
And yes, orientation is a problem, sometimes I can't tell if it's right side up, upside down, or coming or going.

But it's worth the trouble, it looks soo good in the sky.
2 or 3 thick white stripes running from le to te on the bottom would be very simple to add and would solve your orientation problems.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2008, 07:08 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Thanks Flatulator,

As much as I don't want to spoil the "complete blackness" of this wing, it's just a matter of time before orientation issues catch me out.

I'll think on it some more.

Edit:
I went flying again today, and I gotta do something about the lack of color on this wing.
At times it's impossible to see which way it's pointing, I just see a black blob in the sky, I then have to, twiddle with the sticks to see what effect they have, figure out what way it must be pointing, hope I still have enough altitude, and fly it back to me.
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 13, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2008
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
Hi Skid_Slide,

OMG, your wife is right, it does look like a moth, I never saw that before.
I'd like try A123s as well, but I've got too much money invested in LIPOs (I now have twelve 2400mah batteries - if I used them only on my Maxis, that would mean a crazy amount of air time ).

I did a google search to find some specs on the 400XT motor, and who's name is plastered all over the JGF page ???

Our own GFBurke

Even the WWWs becoming a small place.

Edit:
By the way, if anyone is interested in some good cheap Lipos, check this site out.
Free shipping, reasonable wait for shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12821
Here is another good location for batts. This is a 2200 for 18.85.
link
Skid_Slide is offline Find More Posts by Skid_Slide
Last edited by Skid_Slide; Oct 14, 2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:15 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I added some colour to the stealth Maxi.

It became obvious that I needed to do something, when I realised that it was easier to see the orientation of my night flying Maxi in total darkness, than this one in broad daylight.
The combination of flouro green over black works great, I got to try it against, grey skies, white fluffy clouds, and blue sky...always easy to see.

The elevon mods I described a few posts ago work really well, I can now pull out of fast dives with confidence.

Thanks for the cheap battery link Skid_Slide, it's always good to know these things.

I attached my camera to the top of the nose yesterday, and did some on board videos. I'm pretty sure I was close to the maxis weight limit, as it lost almost all of its usual "floaty goodness".
The extra weight also helped tear one of the elevon hinges half along its full length (it still flew OK).
Total extra weight was 235 grams (8.3 oz).

It was a fun thing to do, but I wont be doing it again, 'till I get one of those "fly cams"...my camera is too expensive, too heavy and too delicate.
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 19, 2008 at 09:05 PM.