HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:39 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Jamie, you're evil

I do have a cautionary tale for potential Maxi owners :

A guy at my club told me that he lost his Maxi a while back.

He found a thermal that took it straight up.
He said he had it spiralling down at full throttle, but it just kept rising until it disappeared into a cloud bank...never to be seen again.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Sep 26, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2008, 05:33 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
On one hand, I don't want you to rush your build Diggs, but on the other hand, I'm dying to hear what you think of this plane.
Is it ready to maiden yet ?
Old Oct 02, 2008, 07:11 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I found that link that talks about wing noise reduction.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=noise

And you may have noticed that my "handle" has changed, some brave soul reported me annonimously to the administrators.
But the good news is, I was "awarded" one point...I love getting awards.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:24 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
I found that link that talks about wing noise reduction.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=noise

And you may have noticed that my "handle" has changed, some brave soul reported me annonimously to the administrators.
But the good news is, I was "awarded" one point...I love getting awards.
Dude, Sorry about the name gig. That is kinda foolish. We shall continue to call you Trouser Snake on the show though. It makes us laugh. I will check out your link and might give it a go.

Also, operation clean room is getting close to completion! Yes my shop was out of control and I just couldn't deal with the clutter any longer. Once it is a shop again, I will continue with the build of the Maxi. I just bought a HUGE 3.1 meter composite molded sailplane, and as much as I want to work on it, I am going to make myself finish the Maxi first! I ended up buying a motor for the Maxi.
http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...22993197.31309

X2217/08 Brushless Outrunner - Comes with radial mount and prop adapter. Similar to speed 480, great for Park Flyers & 3D birds weighing 10-28 oz. SPECS:
# Voltage: 7.4-11.1V
# RPM/V: 1,100
# Current: 9-18A (18A @ 60 sec)
# Power: 220W+
# Shaft Diameter: 3.17mm
# Recommended Prop: 10x5 APC e @ 3s = 40.7 oz. thrust
11x5.5 APC e @ 2s = 27.85 oz thrust
# Weight: 2.5 oz. / 70 Grams

Still not too heavy, but a little more than the axi, but half the price with all the mounting hardware. 40.7 oz. thrust on a 3S swinging a 10x5 should be plenty! And it is cheap! 31.00! I should have her ready to fly this weekend TS!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:36 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Operation clean room is completed as much as it is going to get completed. The Maxi has a motor mounted, Servo holes cut, ESC connected, all wiring is buried for the motor and ESC. RX is bound to the TX and servos are centered, prop is spinning the correct direction and I used the Carbon Tow on one of the elevons. Seems to be doing the trick. Just need to get some spars installed and the servos and connectors complete and the carbon tow on the second elevon and she should be ready to fly.

I put a 9x4.5 APC e prop on there to start with. First power up test feels a bit weak. I have a feeling she is going to be heavy in order to get CG set. I might have to take her out tomorrow for a test run even though I promised myself no flying this weekend. Of course I picked what is predicted to be a perfect flying weekend weather wise. Winds under 5mph all day and a high of 80 F.

Will continue with the updates.

Diggs
Old Oct 04, 2008, 04:52 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
That sounds excellent Diggs,
I don't normally get too interested in what other people are up to (unless they're doing exactly what I'm focused on at the time), but this is all very exciting.

I feel invested in your Maxi project, probably because it's been such a long time between your initial expression of interest, and your first flight, and I got to watch it all.

The power up test feeling weak... sounds bad.
I know when I power mine up on the bench, they scare the out of me.
But I suppose it's all subjective.

Please do keep us updated.

TSnake (what the is TSnake meant to mean ?, the administrator changed my name to that without asking, doesn't he realise that my dear old mother named me Trouser ?...not happy).
Old Oct 04, 2008, 06:41 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
successful maiden flight

Well, I cheated a little on the no fly weekend. I finished up the Maxi Swift and it was dead calm and 76 Degrees F out and the sun was low in the sky. I couldn't resist. I put a lot of work into the Maxi Swift and was a bit nervous. You never know what a wing is going to do once it leaves your hands. Pre Flight check went well and I gave it the old over the shoulder baseball toss that CK taught me. WOT and she left my hand pretty straight and wanted to nose down slightly. Gave it some up trim and a little left and she was close. Dropped the throttle and let her float a bit with just a little altitude. Still nosing down on me so I had to really kick in the trim.

Well, took her up way high and wanted to see how it would do. Floated great, but lethargic which I anticipated. I threw some lead weight in the nose so it wouldn't be nose heavy and I got a bit over zealous with the lead. She floated ok, but came down much quicker than the Swift II. So I brought her in for a landing and realized DOH, I again failed to set the brake on the ESC. She lands soft and gentle and takes a lot of field. I removed the lead weight and the finger balance says it is a bit tail heavy, but I had to give her another go. Fresh pack installed and off we go. She noses up pretty hard on the launch with the weight gone. Get that corrected and take her up to a spec in the sky. My father came along to watch and I think at this point he was getting pretty bored and ready for dinner. I floated her around a bit at high altitude and it was MUCH improved with the lead removed from the nose.

just for giggles I tried to see what it would do in a stall. Full up elevator and it stalled out, tipped a little and dove maybe 3ft and leveled out once again . This thing is kinda like a giant vapor. I don't think it is possible to really stall it out unless you do it low to the ground.

The only complaint I have is the elevons. The EPP is too spungey and even with all the carbon tow I installed, they still flex pretty badly. If you put it in a fast dive, you lose most of the controls because of the soft flexible EPP. I don't want to fly it fast, but I would like to have a nice speed envelope like the swift II.

Can't wait till I have more time to fly and what happens when I find some lift! I bet she will stay up for a long time!

If you are after something slow and floaty and easy to fly, the Maxi Swift fills the bill. If you want fast and crazy, you will hate it

Trouser, it really is a good flyer. Don't waste your time on the Carbon Tow to stiffen the elevons, it doesn't work! I am going to think on it and figure out something. It is the only thing lacking. It would be nice to put her in a steep dive and not have to worry if it will pull out of it or not. I am actually tempted to make some Blasa elevons, but hate the thought of cutting the nice painted ones off. I think I am going to really love this plane and can see it will make a wonderful night flyer. I might have to get a second one for that reason

Diggs
Old Oct 04, 2008, 07:48 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Kool,

Glad it all went well, and I'm happy you didn't do any "de-construction" during the test flight.
Yeah the mushy elevons seem to be a design weakness, are your control arms in the middle-LE of the surfaces ? That helps alot.

I'll find another use for that tow, if it ever arrives.

Now you just need to find some time to "tweek that puppy".
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 04, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2008, 08:02 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I just finished updating the Firmware on the ESC. Used a Castle Thunderbird 18. Also just connected the watt meter for the first time and with the 9x4.5 prop I am hitting 16.5 amps at WOT static. Pretty tame, doesn't even hit 200 watts, which is pretty amazing. She climbs well, won't do vertical flight, but gets up fairly quick. I ended up using a 3S 3600 Polyquest RC lipo pack on it to balance it. I haven't weighed it yet, but I suspect she is chunky with all the CA and carbon tow. I am considering glassing the elevons, but yet more weight

I got to fly her about 30 minutes my first time out. Lot of that was just tweaking, but I think now that the brake is on, I am about done with tweaking. Going to chew on ideas for the elevons, but other than that, I don't think she will get any other mods. OH and I did end up installing the servos and all the gear on the bottom. And I also mounted the control horns at the suggested location. No way to move them now really without making a big mess, so they will stay there. I really enjoyed flying it and see getting MANY hours of flight out of it. I like it much more than my Easy Star! It floats way better and is so gentle to fly. I really think it is stall proof!

Diggs
Old Oct 06, 2008, 07:26 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I like stories,

I was flying the Maxi today, just doing the things I usually do, like specking it out to test the range of the Spektrum reciever (I'll let you know if I ever find its limits).

Suddenly I felt a "weight" on my shoulder.
I turn my head to see the nastiest looking spider heading towards my face.

I did a little dance, patted myself down, looked around on the ground, but couldn't find the critter anywhere.
I then started undressing, as I was sure he was sitting on my back...still no sign of the loathsome creature.

It was about then that I remembered that my Maxi was still in the air somewhere, and when I looked up, it wasn't where I parked it !
I searched the sky for what seemed like minutes, but was probably only seconds, it was nowhere in sight.

Verging on panic, I did something that was surprisingly effective.
I gave it full throttle, knowing it has a habit of nosing up under power.
I was again surprised to hear the scream of the motor coming from behind me, I ran out onto the field so I could see past the trees and structures, and there she was....
climbing gracefully.

And they all lived happily ever after.
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 09, 2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
My Speedy Maxi has always flown like it was suffering from ADD.

So, I put the larger 2810 motor back on the "not so lite anymore" Maxi, and added some more weight to the nose, and I've just about got it flying as well as my Metal Racer.
As xairflyer suggested some time ago, carrying a little extra weight calms this wing down.

My lite Maxi, has the servos on top of the wing, and has always suffered from a lack of control authority at higher speeds.

Well, I had a good long look at the "floppy elevon" problem today, and I now see what the problem is, and I know how to fix it.

Seems "floppy elevons" aren't really the cause of my problem.

The servos don't have enough leverage over the control surfaces.... it's my fault, I just built it wrong.
The way I built it, under higher loads, like when pulling out of a high speed dive, the forces on the elevons have the mechanical advantage over the poor little servos.
The servos don't actually give any ground, but the plastic servo arms and wire control rods bend, rather than the elevons moving as commanded.

I'll fit longer control rods, move the elevon pivot point back, and increase the servo throws. This should put the mechanical advantage back where it should be.

I also have plans to paint this Maxi flat black, top and bottom, and use black tape to brace it.
That may not happen straight away, I'd rather fly than paint.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSnake
I like stories,

I was flying the Maxi today, just doing the things I usually do, like specking it out to test the range of the Spektrum reciever (I'll let you know if I ever find its limits).

Suddenly I felt a "weight" on my shoulder.
I turn my head to see the nastiest looking spider heading towards my face.

I did a little dance, patted myself down, looked around on the ground, but couldn't find the critter anywhere.
I then started undressing, as I was sure he was sitting on my back...still no sign of the loathsome creature.

It was about then that I remembered that my Maxi was still in the air somewhere, and when I looked up, it wasn't where I parked it !
I searched the sky for what seemed like minutes, but was probably only seconds, it was nowhere in sight.

Verging on panic, I did something that was surprisingly effective.
I gave it full throttle, knowing it has a habit of nosing up under power.
I was again surprised to hear the scream of the motor coming from behind me, I ran out onto the field so I could see past the trees and structures, and there she was....
climbing gracefully.

And they all lived happily ever after.

Omg... i was laughing so hard... my boss came over to see what i was doing... *busted*

Oh well.. it was worth it. Great story!

I will be building a maxi of my own now. I am totally excited. This fit the bill of what i wanted to the T. Thanks Trouser for referring me to this wing. I am really impressed so far.

I think i will be going A123 for mine as well. Apparently weight isn't an issue, so i like that :-) I will need to find a ESC that can handle 4S A123 and hopefully a motor that doens't mind a hair over 11v. Once i get used to it, i will be adding some lights so i can night fly it. Trouser, yours looks fantastic!

I emailed the photo of your metal racer to my wife, with the subject line "my new project" and she promptly replied with: "Oh my god, it looks like a moth!" I was as suprised as i could be... usually its "why do you need another plane?" but she seemed supportive.

I really appreciate you posting in this thread Trouser, even though not many people reply. Its really cool to read your experiences step by step.

I haven't hit the buy now button yet, as I'm waiting for my next check to roll in. But I will for sure post my progress
Skid_Slide is offline Find More Posts by Skid_Slide
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:18 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
This swift should be able to use the same setup that my SS has right? I use the JGF 450xt (like 900kv) , 3s, 10x4.7 SF prop.
Would that be good?

That's not loud at all for a night fly'r
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Last edited by GFBurke; Oct 10, 2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 03:50 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
This swift should be able to use the same setup that my SS has right? I use the JGF 450xt (like 900kv) , 3s, 10x4.7 SF prop.
Would that be good?

That's not loud at all for a night fly'r

I was going to try that motor, but ended up using an 1100KV motor. I would use an E prop and not a Slowfly prop. Also, the noise is going to increase because it is a pusher setup and not pulling like the SS. I would give that motor a go, but you might end up wanting a bit higher KV. I kinda want to try something in the 1400KV range that will swing a 9~10 inch prop. And you will need a heavy battery to get the CG right.

Diggs
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:15 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Hi Skid_Slide,

OMG, your wife is right, it does look like a moth, I never saw that before.
I'd like try A123s as well, but I've got too much money invested in LIPOs (I now have twelve 2400mah batteries - if I used them only on my Maxis, that would mean a crazy amount of air time ).

I did a google search to find some specs on the 400XT motor, and who's name is plastered all over the JGF page ???

Our own GFBurke

Even the WWWs becoming a small place.

Edit:
By the way, if anyone is interested in some good cheap Lipos, check this site out.
Free shipping, reasonable wait for delivery.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12821
Last edited by TSnake; Oct 16, 2008 at 08:36 PM.