HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:45 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
It was worth a try, I'm finding my 1100 Kv motor to be good, I've got a 950ish Kv motor that I may fit one day, but it's a bit heavy.

I've fitted high Kv motors to planes before, and I know what you mean, what you end up with is an unflyable mess of constant low power with variable noise.
TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:17 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Depends on the plane. A Ritewing will love a hi KV motor and a small prop. However, they are built for speed. The Maxi doesn't appear to be built for speed, but more for some nice loafing around. 8~9" prop appears to be about what you want on this plane, so 1100KV to 1400KV MIGHT be the size to shoot for. Haven't built mine yet so I can't say for certain. I was at a fly-in all day www.flyfortots.com and had a blast, but I still need to build the Maxi. It is next on the list for sure, just need time!!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 21, 2008, 05:59 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
982 Posts
I have a 2200kv with a 6 x4 or 5 x 5apc on my swift II and it is perfect, my present motor on the maxi is a 1500kv with a 8 x 4 prop just would like a bit more speed, as the guys with the zagi's can catch me !
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:21 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
I went out to the field this morning, mainly to set up a gas trainer that I'd converted to electric, all went well until the winds came up.
I waited for the wind to die down, but it just got stronger, the wind sock was making whipping noises as it sat horizontal.

I remember thinking "you'd have to be a complete IDIOT to attempt to fly in these conditions".

So anyway as I launched the Maxi...
I throttled on hard only to have it stop in mid air, then actually reverse and start to fly backwards towards me !!!
I cut the throttle, and it gently floated down, landing at my feet.

I'd put a new ESC in it late last night, and yes, it was running in reverse.

When I did get it up a few minutes later, it handled the wind with ease.
I'm still trying to find something that I don't like about this wing, I'll keep trying.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Sep 21, 2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: whiping to whipping
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
Thinking of a maxi
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:43 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Hey Jamie,
As you've probably read in this thread, Maxis have my recommendation.

I actually bought a 20 inch Hacker Reno Racer based on your review of that plane.
I love it, it lives in the car, and goes everywhere with me.

That was the sort of honest review that all reviewers should aim for.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:03 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
Hey thanks man. It is a fun little plane for sure. I seen that in your car - it so tiny compared to that maxi man! You could have the maxi taxi it up, then drop it off and let another fly it.. heh.

I'm really looking at the Maxi because I like my EasyStar and my SuperFly. I'd like a wing profile that can glide well, basically.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Just got back from the first "successful" night flight with the glow wire fitted.
This night flying caper is harder than it looks.

I went out last night, full of confidence and enthusiasm.
The first launch saw the Maxi nose straight into the ground (it's first crash ever), the second launch had the same result, but this time I snapped the engine mount (that was the only damage), and had to go home with my tail between my legs.

I started to worry that it couldn't handle the extra weight, or that I'd messed up the smooth lines of the airfoil with all the wiring...I had no idea why it nosed in like it did,

This morning (daylight hours) I went out to fly it with all the night flight gear hooked up and operating, I was hoping that I'd be able to see why it was diving into the ground.
Gotta say, launching it again and possibly seeing it crash again, was the last thing I wanted to do...but it had to be done, as I'd done all the pre-flight checks that I could do, and found nothing wrong.

The launch was an anti-climax, it launched and flew beautifully, as usual.
So the problem was with me, I'm obviously doing something very differently at night than during day flights.
I suspect that it might be that I'm being too "prissy".
During the day, it's all WOT and maximum climb, but at night, I seem to have trouble pushing it, like I should.

The first launch tonight again resulted in a nose in crash and broken engine mount, so I still haven't learnt my lesson.
I repaired it at home and returned to the field with a new determination to stop being such a , and fly it like it wants to be flown.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, and get to the point.
Once I got it in the air, it was FANTASTIC.
The lights were easy to see (even when It was so high that it was just a speck).

I was a bit surprised to actually find some lift at night, obviously warm air was rising from somewhere, but I'm buggered if I understand what's generating it.
Additionally, even though it was dead calm on the ground, up high the Maxi was taking a beating from some pretty strong wind/turbulance.

It's all a bit of a mystery to me, but it all just added to the fun.
I ended up flying 4 packs, for about 90 minutes of the most fun I've had in ages.

I wish I could show you how eerie the Maxi looks when you cut the throttle and glide at night, it really is something to see.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Sep 25, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:32 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
My Maxi Swift looks like a wing now. It is not longer in multiple pieces. My neighbor and I schmacked the CA and accelerator down and the motor mount is on, winglets and the two halves joined! I am now working out which motor and lipo. I marked the CG @ 300 and 320 mm and wow, it is very far back and with no gear is tail heavy. So, I see a large lipo is going to be needed to balance this beast.

I am going to mount the servos on top. I hate to mess with the cool scheme, but I hate having the servos on the bottom where they can be damaged by the landing. I haven't decided if the battery will go on top or bottom, but I am thinking on top with a hatch cover. Going to put the Motor and ESC on tonight and the servos, then figure out the battery mount and how much lipo is needed to balance it. If it takes a huge pack, I may go for a larger motor.

TS, the niteflying is awesome. I have yet to fly a wing at night, but have flown the Slow Stick and Mini Mag. After I finish this MS, I might buy another just for night flying. I love how you can have a breeze up high, but it will be dead calm on the ground. Makes for great sky parking as I call it. Put the plane into the wind and just let it hang there in one spot. That is normally when I get people pulling up to see wth is just sitting up there so bright. Have freaked a few people out with the nite flying

Diggs
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:21 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Great to hear it's coming together.
Both my Metal Racer, and xairfliers Maxi, have their CGs set at 325 mm back from the nose, I've tried, but I can't improve on that CG point.

Servos on top is definately the way to go, and if you cover them with the skin of the top layer, you can hardly see them.
One thing that I did wrong, that you can improve on, is to get the elevon throws close to being right before you commit yourself.
My servo arms are too long, and my elevon attachment point is too close to the hinge line, resulting in way too much control surface travel.
I did manage to get my DX7 transmitter to limit the throws eventually...the trick is to first turn off the delta mix, then adjust your elevator and aileron limits, then turn the delta mix back on.

By the way, I seem to have found and fixed the problem with the Lite Maxi, I put larger winglets on it, and it's flying much better now.

Edit:
I just learnt that the problem I was having with my lite Maxi, actually has a name.
It's called "Dutch Roll", wish I'd seen that thread before.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Sep 25, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:46 PM
What arbre?? oh tree!
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2006
255 Posts
ekanS resuorT iH,

What was your glowire configuration in the end ? 4 strands (4x 1m) per inverter, 2 strands in parallel per socket (ie. 2x1metre) and 2 sockets per inverter (X2) ? at 7.4v?

Ive got 8x 1.5m glowire and 4 inverters, thinking I can save weight and use excess inverters for MS Swift II!

Ghoti
Puffer Ghoti is offline Find More Posts by Puffer Ghoti
Last edited by Puffer Ghoti; Sep 25, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:54 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouser Snake
I was a bit surprised to actually find some lift at night, obviously warm air was rising from somewhere, but I'm buggered if I understand what's generating it.
Additionally, even though it was dead calm on the ground, up high the Maxi was taking a beating from some pretty strong wind/turbulance.
Heat is stored in the ground, and releases (heat wants to rise) at night, different soil & vegetation will radiate heat at various rates, as well, pavement, concrete and hard packed earth tend to store more heat, and radiate it fastest not long after dusk..

I take my lil vapor across the street almost nightly, and thermal it over a quad-basketball court sized concrete area.. within 2 hours of nightfall, the thermals are to faint for even the little vapor to notice however..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Looks like the recommended prop for this bad boy is a 10x5. I was wanting to go a bit smaller, thinking an 8x4, but curious what you guys are swinging on your Maxis? I am debating which motor I am going to use.

Diggs
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:36 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Itohg reffup sgniteerg,
Yes, what you described is the setup that I went for, I've attached a diagram because it's not always easy to visualise these things.
The little 800 mah battery will run the lights for about 2 hours before dimming slightly.

Thanks darksiede, I knew I wasn't imagining things.
Those Vapors look like alot of fun, and they'll plug and play straight into my DX7 transmitter, very tempting.

Diggs, I'm running an 10x5 E on the Metal Racer, and a 10x4.7 E on the lite Maxi.
There's no particular reason they're different, the props were just what I had on hand at the time. I've been meaning to try different props to see the effect, but they work fine for now.

As far as I'm aware, xairflier is running with a 2217-6T motor 8x4apc prop 26A (295w) with a 3 cell 1800 long max battery.
Last edited by Trouser Snake; Sep 25, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:38 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
I use that elWire on my slowstick, its VERY bright if you get the right inverter.
Dude, that's what I want a Maxi for.. very nice. I might want "round" lights that change colors if you know what I mean..