HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2006, 01:29 PM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,880 Posts
Discussion
Need Help - Ideas for holding Formosa Canopy on

My Formosa Canopy is being subjected to ludicrous speeds and extra magnets are not holding it tight. It's floated from ahigh three times over the past three days, and I'd hate to lose it. I've resorted to wrecking the paint job with tape to hold it on, but even that has peeled up in flight.

I've seens some ingenious ideas on these forums and am hoping someone has come up with something cool for the Formosa canopy.

Here is a video of some of the stress this puppy is taking:
Formosa Video

Please post a picture.

Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2006, 09:34 PM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
I found that knife edge flying was sliding the front of my Formosa canopy sideways till the magnet no longer was overtop the metal piece, then it would fly off.

I put a short bamboo pin between the canopy and the fuselage. Confirm that it's at 90 degrees to the two pins at the rear, then glue it to the canopy. To install the canopy, engage the rear pins, then roll the canopy down till the magnet catchs. The pin prevents the sliding, and the canopy stays put.

Sorry, no picture.
GIAS
Glu it again Sam is offline Find More Posts by Glu it again Sam
Old Jun 01, 2006, 10:04 AM
All thumbs is good for RC
Woodstock, Ontario
Joined Jul 2005
47 Posts
good canpoy mod...

I put a little dubro mini-hinge at the front of the canopy and the regular supplied magnet at the back...

Just embed 1 leaf of the hinge in the canopy and epoxy...same on the other leaf into the fuse ..canopy then just pops forward like a front hinged car hood----works really well....

Also epoxy a short vertical strip of plastic inside the hatch on each side sticking up past the lip of the fuse where canopy closes so when the canopy is closed u cant see anything and helps against lateral forces...

Cheers
diviatix is offline Find More Posts by diviatix
Old Jun 09, 2006, 11:28 AM
Joined Aug 2004
13 Posts
I looked at other ideas on this site, and chose to add two more rare earth magnets. I purchased them from Radio Shack. Just drill two more holes in the magnet holder and also add a longer piece of metal on the fuselage where the magnets will contact. It hasn't come off yet in flight.
ramintrepid is offline Find More Posts by ramintrepid
Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:59 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,274 Posts
I just put in strips of office tape at front and rear for some security.
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Aug 01, 2006, 09:14 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diviatix
I put a little dubro mini-hinge at the front of the canopy and the regular supplied magnet at the back...

Just embed 1 leaf of the hinge in the canopy and epoxy...same on the other leaf into the fuse ..canopy then just pops forward like a front hinged car hood----works really well....

Also epoxy a short vertical strip of plastic inside the hatch on each side sticking up past the lip of the fuse where canopy closes so when the canopy is closed u cant see anything and helps against lateral forces...

Cheers

I think this is a great idea. I will probably convert mine to this.

Right now, I glued a small balsa stick to the inside of the cowl, and inside the cockpit right behind the battery, and have a rubber band holding the cowl on, as well as the original hardware. Even if the cowl pops off (once in like 100 flights) it is still attached by the rubber band. The force of the rubber band also helps hold the cowl down.
antslake is online now Find More Posts by antslake
Old Aug 01, 2006, 09:44 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
http://www.engconcepts.net/List_Of_C...ce_Magnets.asp

Try some of those... cant hurt to have a bunch layin around at those prices!
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69