HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2006, 01:29 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined May 2006
23 Posts
Discussion
Seawind By great Planes

Has anyone flown a seawind? How does it fly of water? What about the robart retracts? How does it fly of grass and pavement?
postusaf is offline Find More Posts by postusaf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2006, 02:04 AM
Secunda, South-Africa
Joined Apr 2005
61 Posts
My LHS has two of them, but I havent seen it flown yet. Sooner or later one of the club guys will aquire one of them. )

They are fairly expensive, but it sure is beautiful!
hyper7 is offline Find More Posts by hyper7
Old May 14, 2006, 07:54 AM
fly fly fly
Stationed in Aviano, Italy
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
i read once that it will do both, but not with out some mods. You have to either choose one or the other. You have to tape over the landing gear area to land on water... kinda cheap for being so expensive if you ask me.
CanDyRaVeR is offline Find More Posts by CanDyRaVeR
Old May 14, 2006, 08:29 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Look in the seaplane forum here on RCG. Also check out a couple of very long threads on RCU. Both with lots of info on this plane. There is some video of both glow and EP powered versions.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old May 14, 2006, 11:52 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined May 2006
23 Posts
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
postusaf is offline Find More Posts by postusaf
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
United States, ID, Harrison
Joined Mar 2009
7 Posts
I just received a nitro planes Seawind, (which was less than half the price that Tower Hobbies is charging) but, there is a difference in the kits. Don't get me wrong, the kit is nicely built but, I was wondering if anyone has compared the two kits as far as performance? Since I don't plan on flying off the ground, I like the fact that the fuselage is one piece,(no cover to cover the nosegear bay, cleaner setup). One of the other differents is that the chine does not have the lip as the Tower Hobbies Seawind does, and I have read that the step on the fuselage is farther back on the nitro planes model than the Tower Hobbies model. Also I have heard that the wingtip floats on the nitro plane model are better,(for some reason). The nitro plane model does not come with the three blade spinner or the airplane stand. The fuel tank door is slightly different and the wing joiner is different. Paint scheme is different. I would like to know if anyone has flown or talked to someone who has flown both planes. I already have an O.S. 90 4 stroke and I have a Electric Super Sportster which I upgraded from brushed nicad to brushless lipo and really made a difference. The main thing about converting to electric on such a large plane is the cost plus, if the batteries or ESC burns up you lose everything. At least with nitro you can dead stick a landing,(if you have the altitude). Oh well, give me your input,(any comments will be welcomed)
Mitch
Windrifter is offline Find More Posts by Windrifter
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:58 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
The lake has to be absolutely wave free to be able to take off. It flies great once airborne and lands fine. But take off's are difficult.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:39 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrifter
At least with nitro you can dead stick a landing,(if you have the altitude). Oh well, give me your input,(any comments will be welcomed)
Mitch
You can also deadstick a landing with an electric, though the chance to need to is far FAR less likely. Most/many larger electrics use a seperate RX battery also.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:45 AM
Joined Sep 2006
590 Posts
The electric setup puts a lot less weight up on the pylon, which is the weak point of this airframe. Moreover, you can move the batteries around to get the balance right -- this eliminates 1-2 lbs. of ballast that most nitro setups need to get the cg right.
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2006
590 Posts
Is there anyone out there with a big Seawind who can measure the angle of incidence between the wind and the stabilizer? I am very interested in your measurement.

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447