HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2006, 10:52 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite vs Axi quality and performance question

I picked up an E-Flite motor the other day after pondering the Eflite and the Axi for quite some time at the store. Both seem nicely built and both have the same performance specs. The EFlite was $10 cheaper and comes with all the prop adapter and mounts to let me mount it either way with the prop on the rotor or on the fixed side. The Axi would need such a kit added to it at extra cost.

So is the Axi that much better a motor then the Eflite to justify the extra $20 to $25 when it's all done?

The Axi motor is the 2808-24 and the EFlite is the Park 480. They both have about the same Kv and are rated for the same watts.

I haven't done more than take the motor out of the both and sit looking at it so it's not too late to take it back if the answers worry me.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2006, 06:34 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
36 Posts
Eflite vs Axi ?????????????

Hello from Ohio!
I fly both the Eflite and the Axi. I have only been flying the Eflite for about a year. I have flown the Axi's for about 3 years. I also bought the Eflite because of the low cost. I have not had any trouble with either motor. I bought both brand of motors because that's what was recommended for the set up of the airplanes. I fly the Eflite 400 on a FX 3D bipe. Seems to have plenty of power running a 11.4.7 APC prop with Thunder Power 3s 1320 battery. I am in the process of playing with different props. I just purchased a whatts up meter to test. Things are moving a little slow because of time. But anyway, I think you will be happy with the Eflite motor. It might help to do a search here on RC groups on the motors that you questioning. It's amazing what you will find here.
May God Bless You!
Don
rain rain go away..................been raining since Tuesday (last week) and looks like it will continue through Wednesday of this week.
icewater is offline Find More Posts by icewater
Old May 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
Thanks Don. Good info. Oddly enough when I did try a search I got very little info about this sort of comparison. Mostly folks selling their motors for one reason or the other and other folks buying them in a blink. That alone told me that they were reasonably desireable.
Old May 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Hi;

I have a number of E-Flite BL motors, including 2 P 46's and a P 60 and a number of both smaller in runners and out runners. To be honest, I have not ran the 60 yet, but I have seen planes equiped with it and they flew fine and the motors ran fine. everything I have used works fine and I have had no quality problems. I have a few Axi's as well that have been used plently with no problems either. But it's a price thing and I have found that Horizon backs up their stuff very well.

Ross
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old May 15, 2006, 07:48 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I'm trying to find out myself if the eflite power series: 25, 32, 40 and 60 are any good? Opinions? Thanks.

Henry
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old May 15, 2006, 08:19 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
I have used the smaller e-flite outrunners with a lot of sucess. I have sold quite a few of the larger ones and everyone that I have talked to has been very happy. Horizon is good at backing up the product too.

I plan on using a power 60 in a conversion of the new Hangar 9 Hellcat that comes out next month.

Sorry I can't give more personal input on the larger motors but I have been impressed with what I have seen so far.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2006, 08:30 PM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
The axi motors I have came with the adpaters and hardware to mount the motor, no extra charge.

I still have not run the motors yet, still in process of setting up.
skyking1231 is offline Find More Posts by skyking1231
Old May 15, 2006, 08:39 PM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
I see there are two new motors being added to the Eflight line which include a Power 110 and Power 160!!!!
Check'em out at Horizon's website.
I have used a couple of these motors: the PArk 370 and the 480 1040K/V.
Both motors run very well and since they both include mount and prop adaptor, are a good bargain. I just purchased the new P-15 for my Snickers and just need to get an ESC for it that will take a 4S lipo.
All in all I think they are a good motor for the money and yes I also have several Axis as well including a 2814-10, 2820-10 2808-16 and have also used a 4120-18. They all run very well.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old May 15, 2006, 08:42 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,506 Posts
I have two Eflite Park 450s and a Power 25 and and AXI 2212/20. All are very nice motors - well crafted jewels compared to some cheaper imports. The Power 25 is a very nice motor on my Extra 300. $ for $, I think you get a better deal with Eflite. As you pointed out, you get a lot of the extras (mounting and collet) that Model Motors doesn't toss in. Recently, I rammed my Park 450 WOT into the hard pack and is still running OK - had to pull the bell out from the base and I thought it as gonner but it power up no sweat. I really appreciate Eflite in making rough equivilents in motors to engines.
Now, that all said - once you bury the motor into a cowl, you never see it again. If you can spec out a TowerPro equivilent, they run great also - just not as pretty.

Bottom line - IMHO Eflite give you the best piece of mind in "grab and go" motor. Do some homework and you could save some bucks.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old May 15, 2006, 09:54 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
Great info guys. It sure sounds like there's no clear cut winner here. I'll keep the Park 480 and try it out on my model that busted the gear box a while back.

The model's weight before was 32 oz. The Eflite is a lot lighter and I'm thinking of switching to LiPo's to replace the 7x 1400 A size NiMH's so that'll let the model come in under 30 oz quite easily. It a 450 sq inch aerobatic model. Not 3D though.
Old May 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,034 Posts
european original or chinese knockoff, you choose, it is your money and your country's economy.

It is a shame that astro bob and steve neu are the only us motor mfgr of note (Are there others?) and neither embraces outrunners, odd!!?? How about a made in the USA (or north america) family of outrunners? and not just imported from asia by a USA firm.

patriotically yours -rjf

ps: o yeah, Aveox (Remember them? They originated BL motors in R/C.), maxim, razor, and chili pepper motors are made in the USA too. Outrunners boys? Hmmm?? Canadian mfgrs? Even Mexican mfgrs?

my apologies to any players I overlooked -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old May 16, 2006, 09:20 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
A lot of the smaller outrunner guys are starting to develop larger motors too. I know Custom CDR feels they have maxxed out the performace of the 20mm stators and are working on larger outrunner motors.

I hate to say it though but any motor made in the USA in a large scale is either going to cost a pretty penny or not be of great quality. We cost too much to manufacture things here anymore.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2006, 09:51 AM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
european original or chinese knockoff, you choose, it is your money and your country's economy.

It is a shame that astro bob and steve neu are the only us motor mfgr of note (Are there others?) and neither embraces outrunners, odd!!?? How about a made in the USA (or north america) family of outrunners? and not just imported from asia by a USA firm.

-rjf
It was not long ago that axi's were cheap Czech imports and it's not like they originated the outrunner. Chinese knockoff? You better watch out because you're bound to end up using chinese made stuff. My dad used to swear up and down that he would only buy an american car- he now drives a Toyota. Why? Because for the money, it is the best (read most reliable) available.

It's the global economy and good for the world as a whole. Individual situations may be adversely affected... say US is no longer competitive in manufacturing (which by the way is entirely untrue because we are entirely competitive in mechanized, chemical, etc forms of manufacturing just not labor intesive means) well then everyone get an education and do something else that 1 billion plus Chinese don't do as well.

Patriotically yours too,
e.
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old May 16, 2006, 09:53 AM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Oh, and inrunners vs outrunners? Way better efficiency, faster spool up and way wider range of props to choose from with unlimited gearing ratios available. No wonder the quality stateside joints tend to stick with inrunners.
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old May 16, 2006, 09:57 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
ps: o yeah, Aveox (Remember them? They originated BL motors in R/C.), maxim, razor, and chili pepper motors are made in the USA too. Outrunners boys? Hmmm?? Canadian mfgrs? Even Mexican mfgrs?
Razor... Gone.
Chili pepper... Gone.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy.... But i buy motors based on performance over where it was made.
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost