HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2006, 11:21 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Next time I will as Buzzard says write a little note with my name and email along with "REWARD"

When you guys have more than one sailplane do you normally have an Rx for each? or do you just swap?

I liked the Electron 6 in my Spirit - Do you think it would be wasteful to buy another for the Lady? I would not want her to feel 2nd class with a single conversion in her?
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2006, 11:23 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
The Rx is a bitch to take out/put back on the Spirit as the antennae has to be "fed through" the back...also would need to be swapping crystals like hell...recipe for radio disaster???
Old May 30, 2006, 11:56 AM
Elitist Sub-group
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
13,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
The Rx is a bitch to take out/put back on the Spirit as the antennae has to be "fed through" the back...also would need to be swapping crystals like hell...recipe for radio disaster???
I usually tape the RX antenna to the top of the fuselage at the rear, rather than put it inside. But that is me.

Why would you need to change the crystals?

I don't see it as recipie for a radio disaster, if you do a decent preflight check.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 30, 2006, 11:59 AM
Elitist Sub-group
Joined Feb 2004
13,864 Posts
Quote:
When you guys have more than one sailplane do you normally have an Rx for each? or do you just swap?
For me it is a bit of both. I have a lot of planes and some don't get flown very often (like rocket planes or slopers) so they don't have dedicated Rxes.

Quote:
I liked the Electron 6 in my Spirit - Do you think it would be wasteful to buy another for the Lady? I would not want her to feel 2nd class with a single conversion in her?
There are plenty of good single conversion RXes. I have used the hitech 4 channel in 2 meter gliders with good success:

http://www.servocity.com/html/4-ch_hfs-04mg_fm_rx.html

Ryan
Old May 30, 2006, 02:02 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,453 Posts
The Electron 6 is an excellent receiver. Nothing wrong with getting another.

I don't typically move receivers around among my flyable planes as I often take out 3-4 planes when I go to the field and fly them all.

If you want to try something different in the GL, get the single conversion Hitec Micro 05S receiver. About $40 with the crystal as opposed ot $65 for the electron 6, both smaller and lighter. It is rated at 1 mile and gets excellent reports.

You might also have room for a dual conversion Supreme 8 reciever which is about $55 with crystal. Bigger and heavier than the Electron6, but if you can put it in the nose, it replaces some of your balance weight. Excellent receiver. I use it in my small electric planes.

Hitec Micro 555 and Super Slim are also excellent, but discountinued. If you pick one up at a good price, they are good too.

Don't use the Hitec Feather receiver. Not enough range!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 30, 2006, 02:02 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
dual conversion crystal on Tx wont work with a single conversion Rx
so I would have to change the crystal on my Transmitter every time I swap planes if one has SC and the other DC...I can just see myself bungee-ing away to kingdom come with the wrong Xtal..
Old May 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,453 Posts
Quote:
so I would have to change the crystal on my Transmitter every time I swap planes if one has SC and the other DC...I can just see myself bungee-ing away to kingdom come with the wrong Xtal..
Believe me, you would not be the first.

If you need to save a few $$, try the Hitec Micro 05S.

You may also find this post of value

What you need to know about receivers:
http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/show...ut%20Receivers
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; May 30, 2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 02:15 PM
Elitist Sub-group
Joined Feb 2004
13,864 Posts
Quote:
Dude, I think you are mistaken. I never change crystals on my transmitter, but have a mix of single and dual conversion receivers.

What wont work is a single conversion crystal in a dual conversion receiver or vice /versa.

Ryan
Old May 30, 2006, 02:32 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Have read the articles - like all of Ed's articles, very very useful and utterly practical
Old May 30, 2006, 02:56 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Single and Dual conversion only has to do with the reception of a singnal. I fly both an electron and a berg4L from the same tx.
JS

Quote:
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old May 31, 2006, 07:40 PM
Glider guider
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
I recall a story from several years ago. A glass ship got sucked up by a boomer thermal and was last seen entering the bottom of a huge cumulus cloud. The owner got a call a few days later...... from a guy who found it TWO STATES AWAY! It had landed in a field and was in perfect condition. Put yer name on it and offer a reward for return.
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125