HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2006, 09:26 PM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
Arukum,

I don't know what the "Glitch" enviroment is where you are, but I personally would not fly a sailplane without a full-range,dual conversion receiver. I use Hitec 555's, but they are no longer made, being replaced by a somewhat lighter unit.

The R114F is only a 200m range, more suitable for park flyers.

There is also a wealth of info on quick and effective mods to the GL on this board.

Also, in every plane, even my parkflyers, I have a home-made sticker with my name, address, telephone number and the words "If lost, reward for return. Insured for damages or injuries caused" along with my AMA number.
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2006, 10:59 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Arakum, sounds like you've decided on the GL, but I still recommend the bigger gliders. Perhaps next time. To answer some of your questions, the Paragon is still available from Midway Models http://home.comcast.net/~bsli40/page9.htm

Bolt on wings do not make the model less crash resistant as long as you use nylon bolts. They are very strong in tension, but will shear if you catch a wingtip too hard. A much cleaner installation as compared to dowels and rubber bands.

Paragon is super easy to build and fly. Not the prettiest airframe out there, but it's got lots of wing area and floats along.

The 3M BOT is equally easy to fly, but perhaps a bit more complex to build. However, if you have the experience of a couple of built up models, it shoud give you no trouble.

Good luck with everything. Hope they never find a cure for this addiction!

Cheers
Rick
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old May 14, 2006, 04:31 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Paragon is a great suggestion that I seriously considered but:

(1) difficult to fit in my (very small) car even with 3 piece wing (can solve by taking the hood off, but would be a pain in winters)
(2) Fuselage may be too big for my car (can solve by taking the hood off)
(3) would have to be shipped from the US (assuming they will ship), I am keen on starting my build as soon as possible. Any Paragon kits available in the UK?
(4) My .049 engine and upstart would be totally redundant and add to the clutter in my London flat
(5) Flying field is of average size

BOT is lovely to look at, but wont remain lovely when I have flown her.
And BTW I like the look of the clunky Paragon fuselage.
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old May 14, 2006, 06:53 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
BTW is the Futaba R114F short range or full range?
(I had a full range Hitec rx in my lost spirit)
There is an R114 which is an AM receiver that is full range

There is an R114 that is FM that has a 650 range limit
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 14, 2006, 07:44 AM
Closet 'Air Supply' Fan!
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2005
1,007 Posts
If you are looking for something bigger, the 049 will not pull it very well. 2 meter seems to be the limit for that motor. If you get a standard or open class ship, you will be suprised how much better they fly. I still like my Spirit and like AEAJR, I have two of them. I just electrfied my older one this week. Maybe you would like a Spectra with different drive train?

I built a Spirit 100 last year but have been too occupied to fly it. The glide ratio of the 7037 is unreal compared to the Spirit's 3010 airfoil but you only are supposed to use that in fullhouse config (build it how you want though). The elite is cool too but you have to stay on top of it or it will spin. If you get a BOT, get a kit not an ARF. So many of those arfs have weak structures that the kit and internet sites address. Same with GL.

By the way, you may need another hi-start for anything over 2 meters. My hobbylobby hi-start barely did the job on my friends BOT. You will want one made for 3 meter ships. Here is a 2 meter alternative. http://www.skybench.com/ Look for the 2 meter Lil' Bird. I think it may even have a more modern airfoil too.

Sorry about your loss.
rscarawa is offline Find More Posts by rscarawa
Old May 14, 2006, 12:42 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
Yep, bigger always flys better. If you have to stay with a 2m design and just want an ARF then why not try the new Fling? The boom may need to be reinforced, but I'm sure it would get around the sky a little better than your first plane. Really, you should think about building a Chrysalis 2M , a Skybench "Bird", an Olympic II, or any 100" + poly design.
JS
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old May 29, 2006, 03:57 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Chairman of my flying club just gave me a call 3 weeks after the lose
Apparently someone found it stuck in his home ariel and turned it in.
No damage to any property. State of the plane is unclear as I have not examined it but the guys in the club who have seen it say that "it looks fine" apart from some perforations to the wing. In any case it means I recover my expensive radio gear.

I had already started building a new Gentle Lady...(tail, stab and 3 piece wing almost complete)....hmmm....now there will be a space issue in my flat. Luckily both wing of both craft breakdown.

Any suggestions for what to do with two gliders?

Anyway it is nice to get my first glider back safely...makes me feel more confident

Old May 29, 2006, 04:14 AM
Joined Jan 2006
139 Posts
Sailplane

Hello Arukum.

Yes - a SPIRIT is no mean plane - and happily it was spotted and hopefully you have got hold of it again.

And yes for the next plane ( and you have to have the next plane !! ) :

Look into www.f3j.dk and www.gliders.dk

These websites should be able to inspire you !!

KR

hld - OY-9901
Hans Dahl Christ is offline Find More Posts by Hans Dahl Christ
Old May 29, 2006, 11:47 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,566 Posts
Arukum, in reference to your question about what to do with two sailplanes, the answer is simple. First, you will have to admit that you have been bitten by the sailplane bug, and happily, there is no known cure. Second, with your fleet expanding, you will simply need to move to a larger flat!

And congratulations on the recovery of your first born!

Cheers!

Rick
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old May 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,239 Posts
Two planes have two different flying character so you can enjoy them both. I have 10 with half flyable!
Old May 29, 2006, 09:46 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,148 Posts
The GL can be built to under 25 ounces and is great for calm days. Avoid flying it on windy days. The flat bottom airfoil does not penetrate the wind without a BUNCH of ballast.
The Spirit has a better airfoil for the windy days.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old May 30, 2006, 01:50 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,239 Posts
Also, the Spirit is designed for spoilers which gives you an added level of controls. I love the spoilers on my Spirit.
Old May 30, 2006, 09:36 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
I will build the GL and use my trusty old Spirit for regular flying - when I have a bumpy landing or run into the rugby goal post in the field I will then pull out the Lady...that way I have a back up plane to fly

...issue is (a) space in my flat (b) $$ for an extra set of Rx gear
Old May 30, 2006, 10:25 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardbird
Arukum,

I don't know what the "Glitch" enviroment is where you are, but I personally would not fly a sailplane without a full-range,dual conversion receiver. .
There are a number of single conversion great receivers out there. The JRs are a good example.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 30, 2006, 10:29 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17

...issue is (a) space in my flat (b) $$ for an extra set of Rx gear
Really, is 2 planes that much different than 1? Wings can nestle on top of each other and fuselages lay side by side.

Just swap the RX and the battery back and forth between the 2 planes. So all you need is seperate servos for the 2nd plane.

Glad you got yours back. I have lost 4!!! RC planes.

BTW, if you have one go down again and you can *see* where it went down (as opposed to battery died and thermals away and you don't see it go down) get a line on the model. Then you can borrow a GPS to try to recover it.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke