HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2006, 12:45 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Yippee!
FOUND !!! Lost my 1st RC sailplane today - a fly away FOUND!!!

Kit built 2M spirit
just started getting confident on the high start launches, just started getting addicted. . .

a gently windy day...
allowed the plane to get to far upwind and outside the flying field and high; could not see it; lost control; it porpoised; dived; maybe even did a loop not sure it was a speck...

then I lost my much loved toy...somewhere behing the houses and trees...

After calling the wife and letting her know the bad news I went to the gas station; got a bottle of Cherry Coke and cleared my mind....

On the bright side, now I have room for a NEW sailplane!
Any suggestions
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Last edited by arukum17; May 29, 2006 at 03:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2006, 12:58 PM
Isleton,ca.
Joined Jun 2005
270 Posts
Get some glasses, or tie a string to it.
T Tail is offline Find More Posts by T Tail
Old May 13, 2006, 02:38 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,044 Posts
Lost and Found

Have you done any searching? I once lost a Grand Esprit when it was just a speck upwind (about 15mph) and one of my OFB's found it the next day three miles down wind, Thank You Richard. Had it come in ten feet higher it would have landed in a freshly plowed corn field instead of 30 ft up a tree!!!!!!!
The 1200 mAh battery still had juice enough to wiggle things.
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old May 13, 2006, 03:24 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
unfortunately lost it over flats of houses and gated contruction sites. walked around asked a few people. no luck. it was quiet far away.
now i realise why beginners are told to keep the model upwind
Old May 13, 2006, 03:26 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
the houses were also surrounded by very tall trees and dump area. not a pretty place to be searching for a plane
Old May 13, 2006, 03:36 PM
Westbender
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2005
325 Posts
Always put a sticker or something in/on your airplanes with your name, address and phone number. It has worked for me before. There are actually honest people out there who might return it when found.
Westbender is offline Find More Posts by Westbender
Old May 13, 2006, 03:51 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, I know how that can be. But, as you said, now you have room for a new sailplane. My suggestion.... something bigger that you can see a bit easier. If you enjoy building, the Paragon is a good ship, very easy to fly, or the Bird of Time is very popular. Anything around 3 meters is a good choice. Good luck!

Rick
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old May 13, 2006, 04:15 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
LVSoaring thanks

I am a beginner but I am a member of club (I lost the plane while flying alone when the other modellers had left for the day - hmmm maybe something to learn there...)

I absolutely love the look of the BOT (love at first sight) but I am concerned about the following:

Is a 3M bird more difficult for a beginner? I am very much a beginner and the recent loss has unnerved me a little

The wings bolt on - does this make them less crash resistant?

I will need to junk my upstart and invest in a new standard histart. My .049 power pod will also be redundant. I liked it

I also like the Paragon - where it it available. Are the instructions good?

I basically like traditional woodies. Want to stick to gliders. Need a 2/3 piece wing. Like building and am better than average but want to get back into the air fast (I am below average in flying!!)
Old May 13, 2006, 04:20 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Westbender I knew adding a name plate was a good idea (read it in the BUzzard book) but was too lazy...kept putting it off in a hurry to get to the field. . . I even thought of putting my air club id card in the plane. . .

Anyway given the dive/spiral the plane was in when it went into the treeline i doubt it is in one piece anyway. . .

BTW any people considering the Spirit - It is a wonderful plane and great for a beginner. . . i just did not follow the rules
Old May 13, 2006, 04:22 PM
Bristow, Va
Joined Dec 2005
27 Posts
You could put a notice on street signs in the area. Or commision the kids in the area to find it. Ten dollars to the finder. On your next ship include a model finder. I believe there is one on the skyking web sight.
Vasoarin is offline Find More Posts by Vasoarin
Old May 13, 2006, 04:29 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,482 Posts
1) Always put your name, address, phone number on the fuse, wing, tail. I crashed a 3M sailplane over 3/4 miles away. 3 days later a call came, my plane had been found.

2) Put a plane finder in your plane. $15-$30, these devices emit a loud beep making it much easier to find them if you can get within 100-200 feet of them. Also draw other people's attention so that #1 can help you.

3) Put in a Walston, or some other long range finder. Expensive! Can be $50-$150 for the transmitter and $200-$400 for the direction finder, but they can be affordable if you buy them on a club or group basis.

As for your next plane:

Sounds like you just got the hand of the Spirit. Get another! I have two. One at my house and one at my Dad's house. Gotta fly!

Don't let it get so far out!!!
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
Maybe someone will hand (the pieces?) back to the Hanworth Model Flying Club?
Old May 13, 2006, 08:16 PM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
I lost my first plane, a 17 year old Gentle Lady kit exactly the same way when I started in RC last year. Fortunatly I had a Electra just finishing. I bought another GL ARF, but had so much fun with the Electra, I never looked back. I just finished another GL kit with an outrunner installed, and will probably electrify the GL ARF I replaced the original with.

Electric power is helping me learn to soar without fear of a plane getting away.
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
Old May 13, 2006, 08:24 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
I am going with the GL this time
I will continue to build it from kit - not from ARF...
Hopefully this time the build will be a lot quicker...cant wait till she arrives.
Got the wife designing the colour scheme already...

what receiver should you put in it?
Old May 13, 2006, 08:27 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
BTW is the Futaba R114F short range or full range?
(I had a full range Hitec rx in my lost spirit)