SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 12, 2006, 07:42 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Cool
16.5mm Brushless Outrunner Project....Group Buy

This deal is now closed to any new people. We are sorry if you missed out, but we had to send in a final number to the manufacture. No more new orders

As many of you know, we here at CustomCDR always like to have a project to work on and develop. Well now that we have perfected our 20mm line, we need some new stuff to develop. We are going both ways from the 20mm line, bigger and smaller. We have been planning this for quite some time now, and it is just now finally coming together. About the big stuff, well you will hear more about that in some other thread. This thread is about the small stuff.

The hardest part about developing a new line of motors is finding the perfect stator. We searched and searched and found that there is no perfect stator currently being produced (that we could find anyway). So, we decided to make our own. We have done all the research and have developed what we consider to be the perfect stator for this application.

Specs:
-0.2mm thick Thyssen Krupp PowerCore(TM) (one of the best materials available).
-16.5mm overall diameter
-9 tooth
-6.6mm inner hole diameter
-Optimized in FEMM

These stators are going to be stamped by the same people who stamped the stators for the Croco Project. Like the Croco Project, we are going to give you all a chance to get some of these stator laminations. We are going to format this similar to the Croco project where you purchase laminations and we get them made, you can place a very small lamination order but get the price of a big order. We are making no profit on these stators, if fact, we are buying most of the tooling to make it as cheap as possible for you.

The stators take 6-8 weeks to be made, and when the stators are available, we will also have CNC machined parts, shafts, magnets, etc. available. These parts will ONLY be available to those who purchased stator laminations. We are going to make parts for both 4mm and 8mm stacks. Again, we are not going to make any profit on these parts, we will charge just enough to cover our machining costs and packaging etc. Again, these parts will NOT be available unless you purchase stator laminations in this first run.

With us making no profit on these motors, the initial kit price will probably be only around $20 per motor and it will be one of the smallest motors available. Here are the planned specs for the motors….

‘Single’ 4mm stack
-10-12 grams auw
-5 amp motor
-10+ oz thrust for those ultra light indoor shock flyers.

‘Double’ 8mm stack
-Sub 20 gram auw
-10 amp motor
-Possible light weight replacement for the current 20mm motors.

The price is 50 US cents per lamination or about 38 euro cents per lamination. This includes shipping to Albuquerque, NM, but not shipping to you. PM or email me to get in on this project. We know this is more expensive then the stators you are used to buying from GoBrushless, but remember, these are not cd-rom stators. These are made from premium material and designed for maximum efficiency at high amp draw. We are going to make the parts for these very cheap to those who buy laminations to more then offset the high stator cost. To keep things simple, we are asking that you order in multiples of 25 (4mm stack + 5 extra laminations).

EDIT for international customers: We are happy to include you in this deal. If you have paypal we accept that like normal, or if you do not or can not have paypal you can mail a money order if you can get one in US dollars.

Attached are some pics of the pre-optimized stator.
ryanl2006 is offline Find More Posts by ryanl2006
Last edited by ryanl2006; Jul 28, 2006 at 11:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2006, 08:00 PM
Wind is the devil.
Joined Aug 2005
1,030 Posts
Is it an 8 tooth per the specs listed, or a 9 tooth per the picture?

Is the total cost going per motor going to be $20 including the stators (25*.5=$12.50)?
Argyle is offline Find More Posts by Argyle
Old May 12, 2006, 08:35 PM
Lawn darts, anyone?
Long Island, NY U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2003
647 Posts
Ryan,

What about flux rings, bells, shafts, bearings, curved magnets, etc.
for these 16.5mm super stators?
jbatch is offline Find More Posts by jbatch
Old May 12, 2006, 08:46 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
The 8 tooth was a typo, I have changed it to 9. The total cost will probably be about $25 with the stator. These are just estimates based on how much it costs to make our 20mm parts. They could be lower cost though due to so much less material.

JBatch- They will all be available from us at very low cost (no profit) when the stators are finished being made. You can buy them or make them yourself. The total price for a complete kit will be about $20, for motors that look like mini versions of our current billet bullets.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:51 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle
Is it an 8 tooth per the specs listed, or a 9 tooth per the picture?

Is the total cost going per motor going to be $20 including the stators (25*.5=$12.50)?
Shouldn't the stator be a 18 tooth like a croc? I need a stump puller!
INewton is offline Find More Posts by INewton
Old May 12, 2006, 11:02 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
-0.2mm thick -0.2mm thick Thyssen Krupp PowerCore(TM) (one of the best materials available).

Ryan,

The pole lamination sheets from Thyssen Krupp are 0.1 mm thick. You're proposing the cheap 60 Hz transformer grade. Better check again.

Newt
Old May 13, 2006, 01:16 AM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
18 tooth 16.5mm diameter? That is way too many poles in too small of an area. Some how I knew you would suggest the 0.1mm laminations, but trust me, we have done our research and 0.2 is not cheap stuff. In fact, there is no currently available brushless outrunner in the RC industry using less then 0.2 mm or 0.007 inch lams. So, it is actually the best in our industry. Most motors use 0.35mm lams. We looked into 0.1mm lams and they are just not practical. Do you want to pay $25 for a stator??? I know I sure don't. These are from Thyssen Krupp.
Old May 13, 2006, 03:47 AM
Former User
Joined Oct 2004
961 Posts
powerditto is offline Find More Posts by powerditto
Last edited by powerditto; Oct 21, 2006 at 03:55 AM.
Old May 13, 2006, 06:28 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,676 Posts
Ryan,
PM sent.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old May 13, 2006, 11:13 AM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Ralph- I agree 9N is the best you can get. Those little motors look great!

Thanks for all your PM's guys. The main question seems to be "I want some as long as all the other parts are available," Yes, we will have parts available when the laminations are available. We will sell them to you at no profit if you buy some laminations, so they will be very inexpensive kits. We are doing this as a group project not a money making opportunity.
Old May 13, 2006, 11:54 AM
Wind is the devil.
Joined Aug 2005
1,030 Posts
Ryan,

Is there going to be insulation on them, or will we have to find a way to coat the edges? I'd love to get involved, but Im not sure I can wind a short free motor on bare edges.
Argyle is offline Find More Posts by Argyle
Old May 13, 2006, 11:58 AM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
We will provide those as well in the kit, or you will be able to buy them seperately, for very cheap. We are also looking into getting the stators pre stacked and epoxy or powder coated if that would be something you guys would be interested in. Either way, we will provide something, whether it be a coating or just edge guards.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanl2006
18 tooth 16.5mm diameter? That is way too many poles in too small of an area. Some how I knew you would suggest the 0.1mm laminations, but trust me, we have done our research and 0.2 is not cheap stuff. In fact, there is no currently available brushless outrunner in the RC industry using less then 0.2 mm or 0.007 inch lams. So, it is actually the best in our industry. Most motors use 0.35mm lams. We looked into 0.1mm lams and they are just not practical. Do you want to pay $25 for a stator??? I know I sure don't. These are from Thyssen Krupp.
Ryan,

Okay, but if you're using .2 mm lams, can you switch to 49% Ni-Fe laminations. The reason is that these little motors will have real high kv and will turn fast. The frequency of the AC on the stator will be up to 3 KHz. At most 3% Si-Fe is good for 0.5 KHz without high losses. The better lams also allow a much smaller air gap because of the lower losses.

How about replacement lams for you current line of motors? I'm real tired of those sorry, same-old-same-old CD-ROM stators...

Newt
Old May 13, 2006, 12:12 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Newt, we are already using high frequency lams. You don't need to worry we did our research first. (plus all the research by the croco guys- I don't mean to take all the credit here)

Those same old sorry cd-rom lams are doing pretty well if you ask me. We will start with high quality lams on these little ones, and see how much of a difference it makes, then go from there. One project at a time.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:25 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2006
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanl2006
You don't need to worry we did our research first. (plus all the research by the croco guys- I don't mean to take all the credit here)
But, but, but... Those croco guys swing huge props at 5000 rpm. You're right that those guys don't have a high-frequency loss problem. Those little suckers you're talking about will turn 3-5 times faster, and they will have serious HF losses.
Closed Thread